• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Highlanders 2013

in JJ's defense Tietjens hurt himself in a game of touch....

My younger bro watched their pre season against the crusaders and he said they'll be up there as potential ***le contenders of this match was anything to go by.
Ma'a was in top form and linking very well with Lima Sopoaga and Brad Thorn's leadership is really showing in their forward pack.

Might put a sly hundy on them to win it.

My younger bro watched their pre season against the crusaders and he said they'll be up there as potential ***le contenders of this match was anything to go by.
Ma'a was in top form and linking very well with Lima Sopoaga and Brad Thorn's leadership is really showing in their forward pack.

Might put a sly hundy on them to win it.

Unfortunately I don't think much can be read into the pre-season, particularly with respect to the Highlanders. For the last two seasons we have peaked way too soon (about 3-4 games into the season) - I would be much happier with a bit of a slower start so that we peak at the right end of the season.

i think you cant read too much into the results but you can get a good idea of how guys are gelling

I saw they posted 10mins of highlights on our facebook page, as really interesting

So what is Thomson doing this season?
Shame that a player like him will not be seen. Always a joy to watch for the Highlanders.

As far as I've heard he's not doing anything, was holding out hope we could signed even game to game, he keeps fit and we het his skills

I missed out on something - was he is a fight/dispute with anyone

do you know why not? we've perfected the art of bringing in someone as short term cover, tony brown, delany etc

I believe that was only allowed as there a large number of injuries, you have to make an appeal to the NZRU or something to that effect.

This Thomson thing is a bit strange, heck SBW gets a lot of crap but everyone always knows where he stands and what his plans are. Right now Adam's not in the highlanders squad but they are obviously saving a place for him, and he has not said he is going anywhere else.

This Thomson thing is a bit strange, heck SBW gets a lot of crap but everyone always knows where he stands and what his plans are. Right now Adam's not in the highlanders squad but they are obviously saving a place for him, and he has not said he is going anywhere else.

Everyone always knows where SBW stands and what his plans are? That is one of the most bizarre statements I have ever heard :) I don't even think SBW himself knows what his plans are until his management staff announce them!

In terms of Thomson, I don't think the Highlanders are holding a spot open for him - they have been resigned to the fact he is gone for some time now (the media however seem convinced he is coming back for some reason?). I suspect we will see him playing rugby in Japan by the end of the season.

Everyone always knows where SBW stands and what his plans are? That is one of the most bizarre statements I have ever heard :) I don't even think SBW himself knows what his plans are until his management staff announce them!

In terms of Thomson, I don't think the Highlanders are holding a spot open for him - they have been resigned to the fact he is gone for some time now (the media however seem convinced he is coming back for some reason?). I suspect we will see him playing rugby in Japan by the end of the season.

They have left one spot in their squad, however.

They have left one spot in their squad, however.

As I understand it this was purely a financial decision. I can't find the article at the moment, but Highlanders management are quoted as saying they always planed to only pick 31 players no matter whether Thomson was available or not. I think the NZRFU regulations state the franchises need to have between 30-32 players, so having 31 players is just a way to save a bit of money (they can't get Thomson now anyways unless he re-signs for the NZRFU, which isn't going to happen...).

As I understand it this was purely a financial decision. I can't find the article at the moment, but Highlanders management are quoted as saying they always planed to only pick 31 players no matter whether Thomson was available or not. I think the NZRFU regulations state the franchises need to have between 30-32 players, so having 31 players is just a way to save a bit of money (they can't get Thomson now anyways unless he re-signs for the NZRFU, which isn't going to happen...).

Ah I wasn't aware of that - understandable, especially given the high profile signings they made this season.

Just saw the result against the blues...lost to a Gareth Anscombe penalty...I thought he was with the chiefs. ...

Latest posts