• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GOAT - The eternal debate

So, Dupont properly enters the conversation.

At least as a contender for Rugby's GOAT

So, Dupont properly enters the conversation.

At least as a contender for Rugby's GOAT

He's absolutely brilliant but I'm not sure he's there yet.

In a team sport I guess it's how much you influence your side and he massively improves any team. But a GOAT also has to have the silverware. He's won a couple of Champions Cup with Toulouse but only one 6N ***le and hasn't been close to a RWC (might have been if he hadn't been hurt but ultimately hasn't). From the modern era Carter and McCaw for 2 are well ahead of him in my book. But Dupont still has a few years in him to change all that.

Dupont's trophy cabinet is plenty full for the debate, has won more than Lomu.

Hypothetically though, if you had to pick one of him or Carter for your team to win you a game, I think you'd be mad to go for Dupont.

He's possibly the most impressive all round athlete the game has seen and supremely skilled but still has to do more to join the GOAT convo. He has plenty of time to do it but he's in the same "all time great" bracket with BOD, Horan, VDW, Matfield, Wilkinson, Sexton, Barrett etc... for me rather than the GOAT bracket with Carter, McCaw and Etzebeth.

Don't you guys see what appears to be a pretty big correlation between the people who claim that Dupont is the goat?

But a GOAT also has to have the silverware.
Why?
Why is an individual worse because they're from a smaller country (or smaller within their sport)

Don't you guys see what appears to be a pretty big correlation between the people who claim that Dupont is the goat?
They're all called Not Mike Brown's Socks?

He's possibly the most impressive all round athlete the game has seen and supremely skilled
Playing devils's ad a bit: is he a more impressive all around athlete than, dunno, Cullen? Barrett? F Steyn?
I am not so sure. I mean, he probably could beat Cullen at kicking, Barret at tackling and Steyn at passing. But it'd require a lot of cherry picking in order to make that claim stick.

Again, the guy is a freak, but some here talk as if he was the only freak we've ever seen. Specially in his position. Is he so much better than Joost, Gregan or Edwards? He's up there, no doubt. But the absolute best?
Sorry, i am not convinced.

But a GOAT also has to have the silverware.
In a team sport? Why?

If he wins the 2027 World Cup I'll consider him the goat.

I also consider that a terrible take and I'll take that dichotomy with me to the grave. He already has shown he's the most talented player.

Most people consider Parisse one of the greatest 8's to play the game. What did he win, especially at international level?

Comparing eras is impossible. DuPont will probably go down as the greatest of this era as a 9 but how does he compare to Edwards in his prime? Especially as probably few of us saw Edwards play.

I think hard to argue if he's the best 9 to play the game or not. If he was still playing 10 he'd still have some of the best skillset is terms of rugby vision, tactics and athleticism we've seen. The fact he does with less time than a 10 would just further his greatness.

It would be a massive shame if his career doesn't end with at least one world cup final win like DC and Wilko. If it does he'd certainly be the GOAT back and it's then a question of him or McCaw for rugby player in two very different skillsets.

On topic at hand Simone Biles anyone?

Latest posts