• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football boots vs Rugby boots

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lucky_number_7 @ Feb 14 2010, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I needed new boots at the start of this season didnt know what to get so i decided on widefit addidas predators and no joke they are simply the best pair of boots ive ever had light durable and you dont feel to much through them when someone steps on your feet .. good for kicking too and will do well for gaa aswell i paid about 120 euros for mine and thers no sign of wear or anything on them..;even though i have never washed or cleaned them in their muddy little lifetime on a rugby pitch..best pair of boots ive had anyways[/b]
Yeah Predators are quality, i'm getting them after my 9-15s die

Bump.

I have to buy some new boots as I forgot mine somewhere in a clubhouse after some beers...

I'm a winger so moulded ones are okay in term of playing, just worried about this illegal thingy...Anyway, I tried the predator on today but the size didn't really fit, either too small or too large. Problem is believe it or not the choice is very narrow here in Tokyo, esp for "gigantic sized" foreigners. I can't wear the orange/ purple ones coz I'm not good enough and my team is gonna give me **** for days :rolleyes:

...Anyway, will keep you updated...

I've got two pairs of predator Xs now (moulded and studded)
Absolutely love them.

A few people on my team have the new mercurial vapours. I tried them on when buying my Preds, but they felt too nothingy for me, by which i mean they're the lightest boots going, which is great and all but it felt like i had a piece of cling film was on my foot, and i can't imagine that being too good if i my foot got stamped on. The preds don't have a lot of protection, but a few mm of leather feels better than plastic :p

Just keep in mind what position you are playing as there is a difference between a forward and a backline players boots.

I always use rugby boots and I get the decathlon specials for £10-£20 (depending on the offer) and they normally last the season. Use Alli studs as anything else on a rugby pitch in winter is useless

Any idea for a good pair worth investing for a forward player? Trying to get some before the season kicks off by the end of the year...

Adidas Flankers
Asics Lethal/Scrum/Drive
Canterbury Stampede
Kooga Classic/Nuevo
Mizuno Timaru/Wave/Fortuna - Mizuno Timaru's are pretty much the only old school boots around these days, with the higher ankle protection

If they've got 8 studs and are sturdy they'll do the job, basically:
http://www.lovell-rugby.co.uk/shop/Rugby-Boots/Ground-Type/Soft-Ground

I
f you're a loose forward/mobile lock then you can look at the 6 studded ones, I know a lot of locks and backrowers wear Adidas R15's
Backrows wear backs boots a lot as well (e.g Tom Croft wearing Adidas Predators, James Haskell wearing Nike CRT360s etc.)

Adidas Flankers
Asics Lethal/Scrum/Drive
Canterbury Stampede
Kooga Classic/Nuevo
Mizuno Timaru/Wave/Fortuna - Mizuno Timaru's are pretty much the only old school boots around these days, with the higher ankle protection

If they've got 8 studs and are sturdy they'll do the job, basically:
http://www.lovell-rugby.co.uk/shop/Rugby-Boots/Ground-Type/Soft-Ground

I
f you're a loose forward/mobile lock then you can look at the 6 studded ones, I know a lot of locks and backrowers wear Adidas R15's
Backrows wear backs boots a lot as well (e.g Tom Croft wearing Adidas Predators, James Haskell wearing Nike CRT360s etc.)

Great choices! I was considering the R15 but I will be so lucky to find them here in Malaysia. I kinda torn between SG & FG...is it preferable to go one of the way or just buy it?

Depends what the grounds like there
Playing on rockhard pitch in long studs will ruin your feet, but playing in sloppy mud with moulded studs you'll be sliding everywhere

I always had a good pair of SG then the cheapest FG I could find for the when the grounds hard
However if it's hard most of the time it could be worth getting a good pair of FG

Where abouts in the forwards are you? I tend to see front row players wearing studs whatever the weather, god knows how many blisters they pick up

Lovell-Rugby ship worldwide - it's £10 which is fairly steep for shipping, but depending on what the pricing is like over there it could work out about equal

Depends what the grounds like there
Playing on rockhard pitch in long studs will ruin your feet, but playing in sloppy mud with moulded studs you'll be sliding everywhere

I always had a good pair of SG then the cheapest FG I could find for the when the grounds hard
However if it's hard most of the time it could be worth getting a good pair of FG

Where abouts in the forwards are you? I tend to see front row players wearing studs whatever the weather, god knows how many blisters they pick up

Lovell-Rugby ship worldwide - it's £10 which is fairly steep for shipping, but depending on what the pricing is like over there it could work out about equal

Just comeback from surveying the local stores turns out the only one available are Gilberts boots. I play for the front row, loose/tight prop. The weather here is humid so it rains and shine randomly so the best bet for me would be SG for now...

Just a random chip-in, I actually did the reverse for nearly my entire soccer career (used rugby boots to play soccer).

It was amazing that every referee missed my illegal metal studs. I have to say, the longer stud did drag in the ground when I kicked the ball, but I was very used to it, and the long studs really helped my running and quick moves.

But, this isn't a soccer board, I just wanted to post that I used rugby boots for soccer in this thread.

Hey fellow ruggers!! New to this forum and I am looking to get back into rugby again here real soon. Just got done playing some semi-pro football and I have the Under Armor Highlight cleats (Cam Newton cleats) and was wondering if these cleats could be used for rugby if I were to cut the toe spike off? Here is a pic as well of the bottoms so you can get a good look of what the spikes look like. Appreciate any feedback!
ua-highlight-cleat-cam-newton-cleats-under-armour-6.jpg

Latest posts