• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football boots vs Rugby boots

Hi got my boot today, didnt really have much choice though, hungarian sportswear shops are really lacking in the diversity department (Some noname brand (Kipsta or something) and 2 types of Adidas ) . They only had sizes 46-49 of one Adidas shoe (I would like to know how many hungarian ruggers have a 49 sized foot) so choosing the type of boot was pretty easy. I am now the proud owner of an Adidas Harlequin 03 (the kind with the low ankle part) , looks like this:
3205_new.jpg

but different colo(u)r combination

Yes yes ok ok....and the only studs that really do that bad are plastic coated studs which i have no real idea at all as to why someone would wear such things.
[/b]

I wear the plastics a majority of the time because the pitches we play on are usually synthetic FieldTurf, and metal studs arent the best for those surfaces.

<div class='quotemain'>
Yes yes ok ok....and the only studs that really do that bad are plastic coated studs which i have no real idea at all as to why someone would wear such things.
[/b]

I wear the plastics a majority of the time because the pitches we play on are usually synthetic FieldTurf, and metal studs arent the best for those surfaces. [/b][/quote]

You would slip and slide in plastic studs even more so than metal!!!

I think you are talking about rubber molded studs that are, as the name suggests, molded to the sole of the boot.?!

One more question, and Im all set!
The sticker on the bottom of the boot says tighten studs, what should I tighten the studs with, a plier?

you should have a key thing that came with the boots... use that

if you didnt, then go back to the shop and repeatedly beat them with a stick until they give you one :p

or just ask, whatever floats your boat...

Lol I agree!

But in all seriousness, there should have been a stud tightener spanner thingy from adidas inside the box. If there isn't, then ask them what happened to it and demand you get it because it is part of what you paid for.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

I wear the plastics a majority of the time because the pitches we play on are usually synthetic FieldTurf, and metal studs arent the best for those surfaces. [/b][/quote]

You would slip and slide in plastic studs even more so than metal!!!

I think you are talking about rubber molded studs that are, as the name suggests, molded to the sole of the boot.?!
[/b][/quote]

yessir molded

Hello All!

I'm new to the forum but not to rugby (even though I'm Canadian :p).
Just like to say that I'm happy to be here among true warriors of the greatest sport on earth.

Now, as for this debate on boots, it really depends on what position you play. If you play in a back position, then it's ok to wear soccer cleats because they are either running or kicking the ball. But, if you're a forward, it would be utter nonsense to wear a boot like a vapor or Predator because...

1. You wouldn't get enough grip in the scrums (6 studs vs. 8 studs, who do you think will win?)
2. Football boots are low-cut, which means very little if any ankle support
3. Your toes would get stomped on (soft toe = NO protection)

All in all, the wearer should base his/her boot decision on where they play, not on how shiny their boots look.

Oh, and the Air Legends are NOT discontinued.

normal70929431591514529qz6.jpg

The Air Legend II will be released this Spring.

Hello All!

Just like to say that I'm happy to be here among true warriors of the greatest sport on earth.

Now, as for this debate on boots, it really depends on what position you play. If you play in a back position, then it's ok to wear soccer cleats because they are either running or kicking the ball. But, if you're a forward, it would be utter nonsense to wear a boot like a vapor or Predator because...

1. You wouldn't get enough grip in the scrums (6 studs vs. 8 studs, who do you think will win?)

All in all, the wearer should base his/her boot decision on where they play, not on how shiny their boots look.

[/b]
How are those new Legends any different from the old ones? Also, why would they release a new version of the Legends when they've only just released the Tiempo Ronaldinhos, which are pretty much the same as the Legends?

P.S. Nice to see another fellow Scarlet on the site. How did you get to start supporting the Scarlets from all the way over in Canadia?

Well Dustin, I shudder at the thought of what would occur if pink boots with pink insides were to be unveiled.

<div class='quotemain'>
Hello All!

[/b]
How are those new Legends any different from the old ones? Also, why would they release a new version of the Legends when they've only just released the Tiempo Ronaldinhos, which are pretty much the same as the Legends?

P.S. Nice to see another fellow Scarlet on the site. How did you get to start supporting the Scarlets from all the way over in Canadia?
[/b][/quote]

Let me count thee ways, the Tiempos were made ONLY for Ronaldinho, no other players could get them(well, other than going down to the shops and buying the boots themselves) Also, the tiempos don't have the zoom air cushioning on the heel, while the legends do and the tongue on the tiempos is longer than that of the Legends.

As for me supporting the Scarlets, My high school side toured England & Wales a few years back. After we got thrashed by a junior side, we all went to see Llanelli RFC play at Stradey Park. Ahh, fond memories that night. After that, I stayed in Swansea for a few months and the rest is history. I must say, my billets and everyone in Wales were really nice to me. I'll always have good memories of Cymru

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
Hello All!

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Let me count thee ways, the Tiempos were made ONLY for Ronaldinho, no other players could get them(well, other than going down to the shops and buying the boots themselves) Also, the tiempos don't have the zoom air cushioning on the heel, while the legends do and the tongue on the tiempos is longer than that of the Legends.

As for me supporting the Scarlets, My high school side toured England & Wales a few years back. After we got thrashed by a junior side, we all went to see Llanelli RFC play at Stradey Park. Ahh, fond memories that night. After that, I stayed in Swansea for a few months and the rest is history. I must say, my billets and everyone in Wales were really nice to me. I'll always have good memories of Cymru
[/b][/quote]
No, no. I know the difference between the Tiempo Ronaldinho boots and the old Air Legends. I just don't know the difference between the old Air Legends and the Air Legend IIs. Anyway, that's beside the point. And I'm sure there's a fair few players who wear the Tiempo Ronaldinhos, not just R10 himself.

That said, you're a better Scarlets fan than I. I've never seen a match at Stradey, but I will be going to watch them play the Ospreys next month B)

Cheers! :drinks: However, it is tough to get the chocolate kit over here w/o having Customs Canada rip it up and slap on an extra $50. Whatever, as long as I get it!!!

I will need new rugby boots for next season i don't know what to buy :unsure:. I'm a winger and I am fairely quick but I am also quite heavy in build and powerful, I don't want to spend too much money (£45 max) as I am only 14 and will most likely destroy them quickly. But there are so many I can't decide does anyone have any suggestions?

For a winger, get football-esque ones. They're light as they don't have much too them, which is alright for wingers as you aren't involved in rucks n mauls as much as the forwards

http://www.sportsdirect.com/ <--- That site/line of shops always has sales on, so it'd be good to look at the ones on there. They have a shop in most towns (usually under different names like Sports World and things like that).

Alot of backs use/have used this line:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/footwear/footb...-football-boots including Monye, Cueto, Tait, Care and loads more

One thing to remember, if you get SG (soft ground) football boots, you need to replace the plastic studs with full metal ones

I needed new boots at the start of this season didnt know what to get so i decided on widefit addidas predators and no joke they are simply the best pair of boots ive ever had light durable and you dont feel to much through them when someone steps on your feet .. good for kicking too and will do well for gaa aswell i paid about 120 euros for mine and thers no sign of wear or anything on them..;even though i have never washed or cleaned them in their muddy little lifetime on a rugby pitch..best pair of boots ive had anyways

Latest posts