• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Football boots vs Rugby boots

Yeah, i remember one of the boys was actually told to change his boots in the changing room before the game by the ref coz he has plastics.
He had to sit on the bench and switch boots with the lad he was replacing coz he didn't have a spare pair.
Serves him right for trying to wear plastics on a wet muddy pitch. They were going to make his game very difficult to play.

i always wear firm ground air legends though, i like how they feel a lot more than how the metal ones do, also they do give you the same traction, ive noticed, as the metal ones, plus we play on a lot of fieldturf surfaces which metal arent allowed.

Well, it's only illegal if it is dangerous, but you can't ban someone who got a plastic stud to play... nothing on the law book says anything bad about plastic..

I thought metal blades were illegal, like the ones on the Predators. That's why they had to release round studs that will clip into the same holes as the blades.

actually i think adidas some time back came out with the adidas blades or whatever and those studs really were blades. There's no problem with the current preds though.

actually i think adidas some time back came out with the adidas blades or whatever and those studs really were blades. There's no problem with the current preds though.
[/b]
These are fine:
PDR002001646.jpg

These are not:
PDR002001512.jpg

Notice the difference between the stud types. The first ones have round tips, while the others are blades. One can do some serious damage around the tackle area, while the other is not so dangerous. See if you can guess which is which.

Umm no I've seen plenty of the bottom preds in games, before the blue ones came out, the reds were pretty common on the international and professional stage.

As far as im concerned, the only studs that can become or are illegal are plastic screw ins (actually a bit of metal with thick plastic outer), because they can easily become Serrated and badly cut people.

the only thing a ref has ever done to check our studs is see if there's a front spike like on american football boots, and feel the studs to see if they're sharp.

the only thing a ref has ever done to check our studs is see if there's a front spike like on american football boots, and feel the studs to see if they're sharp. [/b]

But how do you know that his eyes arent looking for plastic screw ins?

Unless you are psychic, you don't know everythin the refs are looking for.

Umm no I've seen plenty of the bottom preds in games, before the blue ones came out, the reds were pretty common on the international and professional stage.
[/b]
So have I, but every time I've seen someone wearing them, they've had the round-tipped studs, rather than the blades. Tbh, you could argue this all day, and I would still be right.

rugby boots are way better, i wear the rugby preditors. i play rugby not football, footballers do not wear rugby boots so why shud rugby players wear football boots. they r not always suitable in bad conditions

rugby boots are way better, i wear the rugby preditors. i play rugby not football, footballers do not wear rugby boots so why shud rugby players wear football boots. they r not always suitable in bad conditions [/b]

Rugby boots are definately better in the wet because of screw in metal studs, but not all the time. Alot of backs wear moulded sole boots (football boots) which is 100% fine as they are light and great for kicking.

Footballers dont wear rugby boots because they aren't good for kicking!

At the end of the day this argument could go on for ever. So long as the wearer is comfortable and the boot is legal, surely it doesn't really matter, different positions call for different needs, I play loose head prop and could not do my job as effectively in boots that our full back wears for example.

However any boots that are any colour but black should be banned with immediate effect. It's wrong and quite frankly gay! I was disgusted earlier this season when I was the only member of the front row in a couple of games to not be wearing white and gold boots. I even appealed to the referee to intervene, but there were no legal laws being broken, and he said he was in no position to judge the morrality of the heinousness of wearing these abhorations, which I supopose was true with him being a ref and all. Apart from anything else, if you're wearing pink and green polka dot boots, you will not get away with "freeing the ball in rucks" when wingers happen to be on the wrong side!

Come on lads, let's stamp this out out and leave the homosexuality to the footballers!

At the end of the day this argument could go on for ever. So long as the wearer is comfortable and the boot is legal, surely it doesn't really matter, different positions call for different needs, I play loose head prop and could not do my job as effectively in boots that our full back wears for example.

However any boots that are any colour but black should be banned with immediate effect. It's wrong and quite frankly gay! I was disgusted earlier this season when I was the only member of the front row in a couple of games to not be wearing white and gold boots. I even appealed to the referee to intervene, but there were no legal laws being broken, and he said he was in no position to judge the morrality of the heinousness of wearing these abhorations, which I supopose was true with him being a ref and all. Apart from anything else, if you're wearing pink and green polka dot boots, you will not get away with "freeing the ball in rucks" when wingers happen to be on the wrong side!

Come on lads, let's stamp this out out and leave the homosexuality to the footballers! [/b]

You enjoy contradicting yourself dont you?...First you say rugby players can wear what ever boots they like (which i agree with) and then you go on to say coloured boots are gay and should be banned. :)

<div class='quotemain'> At the end of the day this argument could go on for ever. So long as the wearer is comfortable and the boot is legal, surely it doesn't really matter, different positions call for different needs, I play loose head prop and could not do my job as effectively in boots that our full back wears for example.

Come on lads, let's stamp this out out and leave the homosexuality to the footballers! [/b]

You enjoy contradicting yourself dont you?...First you say rugby players can wear what ever boots they like (which i agree with) and then you go on to say coloured boots are gay and should be banned. :)
[/b][/quote]

There's a difference between colour and style of boot.

I'm all for black boots, never had anything else. I fear some lump of a second row seeing my lovely colourful boot at the bottom of a ruck too much to buy anything else as well.

I think the worst I've seen is a pair of hot pink umbros, total monstrosity.

Guys, back to that discussion about which studs are banned...
it is literally UP TO THE REFEREE'S decision on whether it is safe to use or not! those bladed/round predators aren't a problem at all, it is whether it's sharp or not...

Yes yes ok ok....and the only studs that really do that bad are plastic coated studs which i have no real idea at all as to why someone would wear such things.

Latest posts