• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[EOYT] England vs New Zealand 16/11/13

Reckon the game is going to be pretty tight. We haven't been that great in the last couple of games (though the team against Japan was quite different).
Not liking all the pregame hype tbh. In fact it sounds like English media are hyping them up more than media within NZ!

In my (albeit ambitious) rugby triple bet I have the Kiwis winning by 26-30. So Carter and co; pull yer socks up and get at them.

I miss CJ's dreadlocks. I remember when he was fresh with the Hurricanes and he pulled off this crazy jiggy side step on Rico Gear. Don't remember seeing him step like that ever again. He's got some hand off though.

Think the All Blacks will win tomorrow. They'll be more prepared this time around. Also I think Tuilagi was a huge thorn that day so that's a big loss for tomorrow.

Damn, just realised Joubert is the referee :( Guess we won't be playing with an offside rule...

Agree, that match was THE match of the year in terms of quality and intensity.

Yes but it was a game facilitated by both sides however if you watched last weeks game where the French said "Hey screw 7s rugby lets give this defense thing a go" the AB's looks very ordinary and one impression I am developing of this current AB's team is that they do not seem to have a plan B.

I am leaning toward an AB's 20-15 type score but it could go either way with the bounce of the ball.

I have noticed over the years how other nations seem to target England teams in Rugby, Football & cricket, and aim to raise their game, especially amongst the home nations with all the ancient rivalry. This is something that most England teams have to overcome. But against NZ, the roles are reversed, and its England that seems to get the boost that playing the history of AB rugby generates. Its a massive respect thing really, and i just hope England can raise their game and give the Kiwis a good battle. There is no shame losing to them as long as we do not see the type of pathetic capitulation that occurred in Wales earlier this year.

As for injuries/absences, etc....other than the continuing selection of an out of form Ashton, i see these games as an opportunity for others to show what they can do. Its a shame that Yarde & Wade fell by the wayside, but there were other Tyros we could of bloodied this Autumn. We may of missed an opportunity by selecting the same old same old and the choice to have 3 FBs in the matchday squad is plain crazy to me, as all that will happen is that quality players like Brown will be substituted around the 60min mark to give 3rd choice Goode a game.

I wonder what odds i'd get on that happening?

Yes but it was a game facilitated by both sides however if you watched last weeks game where the French said "Hey screw 7s rugby lets give this defense thing a go" the AB's looks very ordinary and one impression I am developing of this current AB's team is that they do not seem to have a plan B.

I am leaning toward an AB's 20-15 type score but it could go either way with the bounce of the ball.

Steve Hansen will say to the contrary.He admits that last year they were one dimensional but he says they have developed a multi faceted game.My view is if they believe the opposition's defence can easily be breached by their wide running game they persist with it.i believe they can however adapt and they showed that in the rugby championship.Everybody expects them to put in a classic all black performance every week.When that doesn't happen their performances are put under the microscope and fiercely criticised.It will be a true test match and if both teams play to their potential the AB's will shade it !Dan Carter is key today!!!

Not long to go now :D

I'm quietly confident going into this match. The AB's will be fired up, and if we can play like we did in the second match against South Africa we could win comfortably. Overall I think we have edge in most areas, though I am concerned about out scrum. We haven't adapted very well to the new scrum laws - we have been ok at times, but have been heavily penalized at other times. When Crockett comes on the scrum gets worse - I almost expect we will get penalised every scrum when he gets on the field. Obviously the English scrum isn't at full strength with Corbisiero out injured, which is good news for the AB's. Our lineout is generally pretty stable these days, and I do enjoy the fact we are able to put pressure on opposition ball. Not really sure what to expect at the breakdown. It is an area we have traditionally excelled, but we have really struggled to turnover opposition ball this season. McCaw and co. can still do a good job of slowing the ball down, but we rely at times on the opposition making mistakes to turn the ball over.

We obviously have a big advantage in the backs, and will look to get the ball out wide to Savea and Piutau (and Read) as much as possible. I get the feeling this could be the match that Ben Smith shows just what he can do as a test rugby centre. He has been pretty quiet since switching into centre, but there have been noticeable improvements each week. If he gets the ball in a bit of space he could cause England a lot of trouble as he runs with the ball in two hands, and with the threats the AB's have on the outside defenders may drift off him (which would be a big mistake). I feel Carter is due a big match. He has been solid recently (and his goal-kicking is vital), but we haven't really seen much of his running - when he runs he adds another dimension to the AB's attack. I would like to see Aaron Smith have a couple of dabs around the base of the breakdown to test the lateral defense of some of the big English forwards too.

Overall I'm picking the AB's by 15, but it could be a lot closer. However it wouldn't surprise me if we actually won by more. I certainly don't expect to get spanked like we did last year :)

The stream I've got for the match is a SH one, which means....NO. STUART. BARNES.
This game has already exceeded my expectations :lol:

Edit: Excitement at critical levels. Anthem time!

Last edited:
England game on, sandwich ready, mcoys crisps ready and chocolate digestives in reach... Come on ENGLAND!!

Having no music for GSTQ was a nice touch - 82k voices belting it out sounded pretty special!

Great start for the AB's.... maybe....

EDIT: YES!!!

Boom. 3 guys on Reid for Savea to have a walk in past Cole. England would be disappointed with that.

come one English players, FOCUS, FOCUS !! They're all throwing themselves on one all-black 5 meters from the line, wtf did they expect ?

Latest posts