• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England XV vs Barbarians (02/06/2019)

A little detail but one I think is important regarding Dombrandt is that pass he made to the winger after his break. So many forwards run as far as they can and pass at the last second allowing defenders to catch up and have a chance to make a tackle. Dombrandt saw he had a faster guy in support and gave him the ball pretty much instantly. That's proper rugby brain and team play and is so simple yet so many glory hunting players just don't do it.

A little detail but one I think is important regarding Dombrandt is that pass he made to the winger after his break. So many forwards run as far as they can and pass at the last second allowing defenders to catch up and have a chance to make a tackle. Dombrandt saw he had a faster guy in support and gave him the ball pretty much instantly. That's proper rugby brain and team play and is so simple yet so many glory hunting players just don't do it.
It's what uni rugby does to you... **** that up and you're getting fined hard

Yeah - that's exactly the kind of awareness I was talking about. From watching him at Quins, he invariably chooses the right option. He's always looking for the offload/pass, but if it's not on, he has the good sense to hold on to the ball and take the contact. You'll rarely see him ignore a better option (as in the example above) or throw a wild pass.

Nor does a Rugby Brain matter if you're a physical non-entity.

We're making a comparison with Shields who isn't massively physical either and has done nothing to show he warrants a place in the squad. If you're comparing Robshaw with other, more physically worthy players, go for it, but 'Bad' Shields isn't the one I'd use ...

I personally haven't seen anything outstanding from Shields or Robshaw to warrant going to the World Cup. Really hope neither come and we take international players who actually offer a pint of difference like underhill or Simmonds etc.

I personally haven't seen anything outstanding from Shields or Robshaw to warrant going to the World Cup. Really hope neither come and we take international players who actually offer a pint of difference like underhill or Simmonds etc.
Haven't watched quins this year then have you... Player of the season I believe

What's Robshaws unique selling point?

He looks no better or worse than I've ever seen him, whenever I've seen him this season. Industrious workhorse who makes minimal impact in the physicality stakes

He looks no better or worse than I've ever seen him, whenever I've seen him this season. Industrious workhorse who makes minimal impact in the physicality stakes

He has a better workrate than anyone else... That's the selling point. Whilst not flashy, neither are some of the best back rowers in the world, but Robo is like having an extra player in terms of his workrate and very very rarely makes a mistake in any area. That's what wins world cups, not a highlight reel...

Talking about Robshaws decision making abilities with regards to a world cup is....probably not wise
I was talking about in game. Hrs clearly not gonna be captain so that's not particularly relevant as it's not gonna be his call. Should always be a Mr. consistent incase **** goes ***s up.
Is why Faz, (obvs not some recent England performances) is in the squad over Cips. Or why people have been calling for Browns return once they realised that whilst Daly is exciting, consistency is what stops at team throwing away a game in the second half...

He has a better workrate than anyone else... That's the selling point. Whilst not flashy, neither are some of the best back rowers in the world, but Robo is like having an extra player in terms of his workrate and very very rarely makes a mistake in any area. That's what wins world cups, not a highlight reel...
That just isn't true. It's something people love to say about him, but it isn't true.

People assume that because work rate is practically his only selling point that it must be exceptional, but time and time again other back rowers, locks and even front rowers will get through plenty more tackles than him while also getting through more carries. People claiming that Robshaw is the messiah of hard graft is getting tiresome when front rowers like Vunipola and George average out more far more tackles and carries per game than Robshaw.

Robshaw's a solid 6 with a lot of experience who we can cal upon if players go down. But he shouldn't be going to the RWC.

Last edited:
That just isn't true. It's something people love to say about him, but it isn't true.
Having watched virtually every game for quins this year, it certainly seems to be... Give me some stats if you can, but from watching, be certainly seems to do double the work of anyone else

If they wanted a workhouse grinder then Jono Ross would walk it

At international level you need a USP.
It's not like the alternatives are lazy or anything

Having watched virtually every game for quins this year, it certainly seems to be... Give me some stats if you can, but from watching, be certainly seems to do double the work of anyone else
I complied quite a long list of stats about him in an England thread following the 2017 AIs that you're welcome to try and dig out, but it wasn't along the lines of that for tackles per minute played he was behind quite a few forwards, including a couple of front rowers, and there was one instance when Simmonds made more tackles in 10 minutes than Robshaw did in the entirety of the game.

Experience. All our other flankers are pretty raw in terms of caps and we're also badly short on leadership material / experience.

He was an uninspiring choice as captain who had the added pressure of a home RWC to deal with, not to mention an out of his depth coach and the fall out from the Burgess fiasco. He wouldn't have any of that this time, and having learned from his errors could be a valuable onfield lieutenant who could give wise counsel to the captain (particularly useful if that's Faz).

I'm not advocating that he travels, but there's an argument for it and I think he'll be closer than many assume. Especially if there's the possibility that some games will be played on softer grounds (no idea what the weather's likely to be).

Robshaw really struggles in a fast game though, as shown in South Africa. In a slow game in the wet or against a team you know will do nothing but try to batter their way through your defence then he is good but outside that he has been too slow.

If we meet England I hope Robshaw plays, he's a guy you can completely ignore when defending which is always a huge shift in advantage v England for us, like George Ford in that regard.

Latest posts