• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

I agree. I think it's a decent bench and I also feel like you're underrating Stuart (who I prefer to Sinckler).

With the exception of SA and France, no-one has amazing depth in the front row. For example, Ireland might be no. 1, but is anyone looking at and ancient Cian Healy and Finlay Bealham and feeling 'intimidated'? Sure they're decent players who should be respected, but I wouldn't say they'd be demonstrably better than what Marler and Stuart would bring.

How many are actually proven at international level though if that starting pack play to their proven best I'm not convinced the replacements can reach that same height, I could be completely wrong and I am not unhappy with it in as much as in general we probably don't have too many proven better options, that doesn't equate to being able to compete with the top 4 or having reservations about it, I still think Earl is under rated and would love to see him given descent time off the bench as I think he can really provide some momentum and impact that few other options do (they excel in many areas he doesn't) it's hard to look past times like in the premiership when North Hampden looked to have buried Sarries and he almost single handedly snatched the win.

If the game plan is a basic set piece one, do you start Marler and Stuart and bring on the more mobile Genge and Sinckler when the game opens up?

Orcs on steroids pack

1 Marler
2 George
3 Stuart
4 Martin
5 Chessum
6 Itoje
7 Curry
8 Willis

Then bring on

16 Theo Dan
17 Genge
18 Sinckler
19 Lawes
20 Dombrant
21care
22 smith
23 arundell

At least that fits a bench with a game plan. I can't see it happening but just hope game plan and selection and substitutions are actually linked this time.

1 Genge
2 George (Blamire / Theo Dan off the bench)
3 Stuart
4 Itoje
5 Ribbans (Martin off the bench)
6 Curry (Pearson off the bench)
7 J. WIllis
8 Dombrandt (T. Willis Off the bench)

Big Impact from the young hopefuls. So no stress to start...but can come on and make a big impact through the game...

You'd go 6:2?

tbf you might as well have a forward covering the backline for as much attacking ball as they get

Yeah...keep the intensity on in the forwards....and you also test the young future for post world cup.

All our young backs arent ready so you know it'll be the core set of backs...Malins can cover most positions from the bench...and most other backs can cover a few postions.

Should you have injuries...Pearson, Blamire etc can cover back positions.

Was literally just coming here to post that ha

JvP stat is wild

Some validity in what he says although he's disingenuous when he talks about fans expecting to see a romanticised version of the game. Nope, I'll settle for basics being done quickly and accurately and occasionally playing what's actually in front of them rather than predetermined on a laptop. It's really not too much to ask.

I know it's easy being an armchair coach but honestly, everyone and their dog who followed English rugby could see how ridiculous our scrumhalf situation was. It's not like alternatives weren't performing in the same time frame. Simpson, Robson and Spencer have all had patches where they were performing well but barely got a look in, or were dropped for making mistakes that Youngs has made numerous times. Jones in particular really had a lot to answer for, especially after he binned Care.

Pretty annoyed on behalf of Murley
Agree, was very interested in seeing him get a shot, isn't flashy but just looks so efficient a finisher I'm surprised he hasn't got in. Reminded me a little of Chris Ashton when watching some clips.

Whats your thoughts on the 8 spot? Billy, Dombrandt or Tom Willis...who do you choose and why.

Latest posts