• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Should have stuck with Eddie. Sure, it would have been a similar squad but I have more faith in him at a World Cup than Borthwick. If this guy wasn't English he would be nowhere close to being selected as head coach for England.

So I haven't seen a lot from Zach Mercer; but from what I have seen he looks like englands best player, and a player who could make a real difference for them.

Not quite, I've been on the Mercer bandwagon since seeing him at U20's and at Bath and have the posts to prove it (https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/england-eps-2017-18-edition.39863/page-37#post-883295). I have repeatedly seen this guy showing the same attitude over and over. I recall when he moved to France people were raising doubts about whether he could hack it or if he was big enough and I said just watch. He has gone out and yet again shown he can hack it so no, this isn't off 1 season but a consistent pattern I have seen from him for years that seems to have only kept improving.

Hell even in this thread we have the "is he big enough" comment. The guy has been the top 8 in the French league with the most breaks, most metres made, most defenders beaten with him holding both the record and then the 2nd best and people are still questioning this? Seriously?

"Can Zach Mercer handle the big boys" is getting up there with "Can Watson play 15?"
His size didn't matter when playing against the all blacks XV last year. He was planets ahead of anyone else on the field in that game

Ah, damn.

So SB can only whittle it down from this current group?

Squad sizes announced vary by country. I don't know, but I'm guessing that it's only official in the sense of it being the first squad where everybody is available. I'd think that the plan is to whittle while retaining the flexibility to bring in others - the 5 rehab players at least can still be selected so we're really talking about a pool of 46. If a player can't make that they're not going to make the final cut unless as an injury replacement.

I guess we're unsurprised that Farrell will captain. Our options are limited, but it was only a year ago that Jones took the captaincy from him and only 2 games ago that Borthwick dropped him from the starting XV.

Should have stuck with Eddie. Sure, it would have been a similar squad but I have more faith in him at a World Cup than Borthwick. If this guy wasn't English he would be nowhere close to being selected as head coach for England.
Probably … although I think Eddie had 'lost the dressing room' and had definitely lost the supporter base. Borthwick is nowhere near Eddie's level as a coach, but in the circumstances, I think it's possible he gets a better performance from the squad purely because he's not Eddie …

I think we also forget that the head coach is one of a team. Even if Borthwick himself isn't overly inspiring, Sinfield is and could play a really important role in getting the players in to the right headspace. I think the players we have are good enough to make the SF, but a lot depends on their mindset. It's speculation, but I think Eddie had lost them, maybe this coaching group can get them back on side.

Last edited:
It is incredible to me that Dombrandt has been preferred to Mercer.
Mercer, from what I have seen is Dombrandt with more speed and fitness. Exactly what we need. Someone who can offer distribution and power.

The Mercer ones seems bizarre to me. The stand out 8 in a very competitive french league. He is tall rangy 8 that calls the line out for his club. He carries well, is quick fit and has great ball handling.
If it's a personality issue that on borthwick, as good coaches can accommodate different personalities.

The Mercer ones seems bizarre to me. The stand out 8 in a very competitive french league. He is tall rangy 8 that calls the line out for his club. He carries well, is quick fit and has great ball handling.
If it's a personality issue that on borthwick, as good coaches can accommodate different personalities.

Disagree on the last one

It very much depends on what conflict is

The thing is, I've ever heard of Mercer's attitude being first rate.

It was always unlikely we'd take more than one inexperienced 8 so I can only think it was shoot out between Mercer and Tom Willis.

If Billy's fit, I think there's a fair chance he and Willis go with Dombrandt dropping out. They bring similar qualities/would suit a similar game plan more in keeping with Borthwick's style.

Disagree on the last one

It very much depends on what conflict is
I agree it depends on what the issue is. However, not selecting a player just over a personality clash seems extreme unless he's completely disruptive like Finn Russell was. Part of an international coach is to bring together players from different clubs and get them to gel together. Many of these players will have history together and so it's Borthwick's job to unite them. For example, I would have a question mark over Andy Farrell uniting a team together as he has had to really do that with Ireland.

The thing is, I've ever heard of Mercer's attitude being first rate.

It was always unlikely we'd take more than one inexperienced 8 so I can only think it was shoot out between Mercer and Tom Willis.

If Billy's fit, I think there's a fair chance he and Willis go with Dombrandt dropping out.
In that case would you say Tom fits the Binny mold more than Zach? Maybe Borthwick has realised we lack power elsewhere...

Yes. I just edited my post to elaborate on that point.

Willis is more dynamic than Billy, but is better suited to a tighter carrying role than Dombrandt or Mercer. I'd actually say he's pretty similar in style to Wiese so Borthwick probably likes that.

While I'm disappointed Mercer has been cut, Willis' inclusion is a silver lining that could work out really well.

Haven't seen too much of T Willis recently but at Wasps he was carrying very well into traffic not so much as brick wall style like prime Billy and Manu but more glancing shots not allowing them to win the collision and then he generally made further ground after the initial contact. Still really gutted for Mercer it seems a little short sited to me, you would think he could offer some descent insight on some of the French players which could prove valuable.

Oof true just realised that Mercer would be classed as a Gloucester player come July 1st so therefore can't have that many in the squad at any one time

I just can't make sense of it. Dombradt must have made one hell of an impression. Billy isn't it.

Maybe Borthwick is as sad as me and watches the victory over the All Blacks on repeat too much.

Latest posts