• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

I mean his defence almost got us to WC final, we put in a good shift.

I know know anything really about the guy replacing him(if true)
Very highly rated Irish man...covers more than just the defence for SA...

Ludlam would be the best option in a like for like type replacement, but seems to have slipped down the pecking order with everyone fit again so who knows what Borthwick thinks of him to discard him after how well he's played this year

My preference would be:
6. Curry
7. Earl
8. Mercer/T.Willis

20. Ludlam

Shame to see Lawes calling it a day but equally it's good to see him go out on his own terms after so many injury issues that could've robbed him of that
I was incredibly sceptical of his shift back to 6, a few years ago, but he grew into it massively and has been consistently one of our best players for ages now. He'll definitely be missed
Would be great, but only if front 5 can scrummage.

Until then
6 Isiekwe
7 Curry
8 Mercer

Bit more power

How can anyone not be picking Earl to start after that tournament? I don't really care whether it's at 7 or 8 - I think he's a legit option at both - but he's been our best player by a country mile.

IMO going forward it should either be:
6. Curry
7. Earl
8. a/n other

or

6. a/n other
7. Curry
8. Earl

T. Willis, Mercer, Pearson, Ludlam, etc. can battle it out for that 3rd spot.

And im just not sure Isiekwe is going to make the grade.
As a lock I've still got some hope for him. Didn't he have some health issues for a while that were affecting his performance or am I confusing that part with someone else?

As a flanker though? No chance. We've got a ton of talented back rowers.

As a lock I've still got some hope for him. Didn't he have some health issues for a while that were affecting his performance or am I confusing that part with someone else?

As a flanker though? No chance. We've got a ton of talented back rowers.
i think that was Itoje...

Im just not sure he will make it as a lock now. Plus he will have some competition.

Current squad members:
Itoje isnt going anywhere
Chessum is set in stone
Martin finally put in the performance to show what he can do, and isnt going anywhere

So leaves maybe one other lock spot free?

Alex Coles?
Lewis Chessum as an apprentice
Johnny Hill to come back?
Charlie Ewels to return...sorry ill get my coat

Yeah definitely looks like a lock now, has bulked up quite a lot since returning to Saracens from Saints and mostly played lock (barring the run in at the end of last season)
He's also only 25 which is very young for a tight 5 forward

I'd bring him in to replace Ribbans in the 6N

i think that was Itoje...
Nah, Isiekwe had some very serious medical issues that were life threatening let alone career threatening, was told he'd likely never play again and then had ground breaking open heart surgery last year to fix the issue, which luckily worked and he got signed off to continue playing

So leaves maybe one other lock spot free?

Alex Coles?
Lewis Chessum as an apprentice
Johnny Hill to come back?
Charlie Ewels to return...sorry ill get my coat
See I think Isiekwe is better than all of these, especially as a set piece player
L.Chessum looked very good at age grade levels but hasn't even made his prem debut yet, too early to be talking about him
If I were to guess I reckon he'll filter in during the Lions year summer tour when we'll likely be missing 2-3 locks to that

Last edited:
If Dombrandt can get back to full form and fitness then I'd back him to get another shot.

Realistically the main problem was his handling which is really weird given that's not been a problem before - I still have belief he is good enough as a player and was immense for quins again yesterday

Wow, thats a huge proceedure to go through and come back playing...

If Dombrandt can get back to full form and fitness then I'd back him to get another shot.

Realistically the main problem was his handling which is really weird given that's not been a problem before - I still have belief he is good enough as a player and was immense for quins again yesterday
I'd want to see both T. Willis and Mercer get reasonably extended shots at the shirt (and both would have to be unsuccessful) before cycling back to Dombrandt. He's had plenty of chances now. Let the others have a go.

i wonder if Kenningham will come in to focus aswell....hes probably more like for like with Lawes ironically despite on 6'3. Played well and scored at the weekend.

So did Ehren Painter...the 25 year old 6'4 21st prop at Exeter now. I wonder if Baxter is doing a rejuventaiton of the prop....that would be a nice bonus for England if he did turn it around. Certainly one to watch...

I'd want to see both T. Willis and Mercer get reasonably extended shots at the shirt (and both would have to be unsuccessful) before cycling back to Dombrandt. He's had plenty of chances now. Let the others have a go.
14 caps, most of which he's being asked to play like Billy isn't exactly a fair shot though?

Base it on prem form imo, if Willis and Mercer are the form two, behind Earl (simply because he owns the shirt now imo) then they get a shot, if it's dombrandt, then let him have another go

Totally agree...both of those need trialed now...

How can anyone not be picking Earl to start after that tournament? I don't really care whether it's at 7 or 8 - I think he's a legit option at both - but he's been our best player by a country mile.

IMO going forward it should either be:
6. Curry
7. Earl
8. a/n other

or

6. a/n other
7. Curry
8. Earl

T. Willis, Mercer, Pearson, Ludlam, etc. can battle it out for that 3rd spot.
Pearson and Mercer for me. Them as the 4 in the 23 is a good balance i think.

I'm pretty happy with the various back row players we've got. It's not the problem till we sort out the props it's all moot. We have good locks and back row just finding two props who can hold there own is about the best i can hope for.

I'm pretty happy with the various back row players we've got. It's not the problem till we sort out the props it's all moot. We have good locks and back row just finding two props who can hold there own is about the best i can hope for.
Id be amazed if SB didnt beg Cole to stay on for a bit longer (if he has intentions of retiring). Sinckler and Stuart need to really get their act together going forward.

Tight head.
Schonert?
Painter?? Baxter may do a job on him and hes huge.
Fasogabon??

Loose head
Baxter
Rodd needs a scrummaging camp.
West?

Schonert won't make the next world cup, he's basically being held together by medical tape atm - he'd be OK as a stop gap for a year or two but realistically I wouldn't be looking at him. He should've been called into the RWC squad but not be viewed as a longer term option, would rather we just try out any/everyone else that's a possibility and invest time in them
Wouldn't be against Collier being called in, but it'd be a stretch for him to be in top form at the next RWC (though 36 for a tighthead isn't the same as 36 in other positions) - plus there's rumours of him going to France next season, so would need to see whether he's doing that because it's not worth investing a 6N into someone leaving a few months after

Fasogabon is years away from being ready, he's only just turned 19 - I'd be surprised if he even plays in the prem this season

i agree about Fasgabon...i was just putting a few names out as genuinely...theres not much option.

I dont rate Stuart at all...and if hes to continue...he needs a real overhaul. Likewise Sinkler...needs a kick up the jacksie...

Latest posts