• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

I wish freeman was given a run at 15 for us but it's not going to happen. I'd still have freeman In an England shirt over the dross we currently have but not sure why SB had the current crop ahead of him. He's a solid finisher and a creator, better than May, Daly and Malins.

I don't get it either because he has what Borthwick likes he's a bigger winger (By English standards at least) Good in the air both attack and defence, quick and solid in defence.

He's like an upgraded version of Harry Potter who Borthwick loved at Tigers

Thinking how bang average our wings have been and Smith's metamorphosis into a 15, do you reckon much thought was given to Murley as Willis' replacement? Much as I like Underhill we probably didn't really need another back rower whereas someone in the backs on Smith's general wavelength may have made sense.

I don't get it either because he has what Borthwick likes he's a bigger winger (By English standards at least) Good in the air both attack and defence, quick and solid in defence.

He's like an upgraded version of Harry Potter who Borthwick loved at Tigers
The thing I will never understand is the love affair with mallins. I get he was lighting up the prem, but we know what he is like at international level, lacking the physical traits to be an international wing. Very much a perfect fit with his club and if you arent going to run that system why have him there.

Or dropping OHC so quickly, might not have lit it up but young and potential while also being big, and keeping cockanasiga over others as well.

Just odd odd decisions, something I hope is adressed post WC but skeptical because of how frantic decisions have been pre.

Probably wrong time to ask this but I've had a few beers, who do you guys think retires after this WC for England?

Marler, Cole, Lawes, May, Youngs and Care at the obvious ones looking at age. All 33 and above. Billy V and Manu the maybes. Daly and Farrell are both 31 too but I think they 100% don't.

Probably wrong time to ask this but I've had a few beers, who do you guys think retires after this WC for England?

Marler, Cole, Lawes, May, Youngs and Care at the obvious ones looking at age. All 33 and above. Billy V and Manu the maybes. Daly and Farrell are both 31 too but I think they 100% don't.

No way Farrell retires. He will be in our squad at the next World Cup.

I have to say looking at England's young options
U26 we have who I rate at least obviously prob missed loads and not everyone will develop as hoped (AKA Mallinder in U20 era v seniors)
1. Rodd (23), Baxter (21), Iyogun (22), Whitcombe (22), Brantingham (21),
2. Dan (22), Blamire (25), Frost (26), Dolly (24), Langdon (26), Capon (24), Riley (22), Fletcher (21)
3. Schickerling (25), Heyes (24), Harper (23), Painter (25), Beaten (22), Fasogbon (19),
4. Martin (22), Tizard (23), Coles (24), Tuima (23),
5. Chessum (23), Isiekwe (25), Munga (23), L.Chessum (20),
6. Pearson (23), J.Willis (26), Earl (23), Hill (24), Kenningham (23), Basham (24),
7. T.Curry (25), B.Curry (25), Ilione (21), Pepper (20), Pollock (18),
8. Mercer (26), T.Willis (24), Barbeary (23), Dombrandt (26), CSS (20), Fisilau (20),
9. Warr (24), Quirke (22), JVP (22), Mitchell (26), Randall (25), Porter (24),
10. M.Smith (22), F.Smith (21), Barton (22), Atkinson (22),
11. OHC (24), Radwan (25), Reed (24), Cokanasiga (25), Sleightholme (23), Obatoyinbo (25),
12. Kelly (22), Atkinson (21), Ojomoh (23), Hartley (21), Williams (26), Woodward (20),
13. Lawrence (24), Dingwall (24), Joesph (21), Northmore (26), Spink (23),
14. Arundell (20), Freeman (22), Murley (24), Loader (24), Roebuck (24), Lyangh (22), Seabrook (24),
15. Steward (22), Carpenter (22), Malins (26), Hodge (23), Parton (25), David (24), Hendy (21), Shillcock (25),

I feel that's enough talent already to hopefully have at least get some decent depth by 2027
Just have little faith in our coaching system

But could get a tasty couple A teams from those.

Man I rreeallyy hope we get some A games, and proper ones not just a mid week on a tour where they play the non-starters
Same, I think this is such a missed opportunity. Especially for front 5 development, we know what the premiership is, very fun to watch but everything is lighter for faster play so probably not the best for developing front 5 players for international play.

Get them exposed to other national teams. I wonder if there is scope to add an england A side to the Rugby Europe International Championships, or create a summer competition. Might get a british TV deal to help fund tier 2 participants as well.

Another option might be england U20 playing senior tier 2 teams in a summer tour?

I have to say looking at England's young options
U26 we have who I rate at least obviously prob missed loads and not everyone will develop as hoped (AKA Mallinder in U20 era v seniors)
1. Rodd (23), Baxter (21), Iyogun (22), Whitcombe (22), Brantingham (21),
2. Dan (22), Blamire (25), Frost (26), Dolly (24), Langdon (26), Capon (24), Riley (22), Fletcher (21)
3. Schickerling (25), Heyes (24), Harper (23), Painter (25), Beaten (22), Fasogbon (19),
4. Martin (22), Tizard (23), Coles (24), Tuima (23),
5. Chessum (23), Isiekwe (25), Munga (23), L.Chessum (20),
6. Pearson (23), J.Willis (26), Earl (23), Hill (24), Kenningham (23), Basham (24),
7. T.Curry (25), B.Curry (25), Ilione (21), Pepper (20), Pollock (18),
8. Mercer (26), T.Willis (24), Barbeary (23), Dombrandt (26), CSS (20), Fisilau (20),
9. Warr (24), Quirke (22), JVP (22), Mitchell (26), Randall (25), Porter (24),
10. M.Smith (22), F.Smith (21), Barton (22), Atkinson (22),
11. OHC (24), Radwan (25), Reed (24), Cokanasiga (25), Sleightholme (23), Obatoyinbo (25),
12. Kelly (22), Atkinson (21), Ojomoh (23), Hartley (21), Williams (26), Woodward (20),
13. Lawrence (24), Dingwall (24), Joesph (21), Northmore (26), Spink (23),
14. Arundell (20), Freeman (22), Murley (24), Loader (24), Roebuck (24), Lyangh (22), Seabrook (24),
15. Steward (22), Carpenter (22), Malins (26), Hodge (23), Parton (25), David (24), Hendy (21), Shillcock (25),

I feel that's enough talent already to hopefully have at least get some decent depth by 2027
Just have little faith in our coaching system

But could get a tasty couple A teams from those.
Looking at the wingers alone, you can't help wonder how we've managed to have a dire back three this RWC.

Another option might be england U20 playing senior tier 2 teams in a summer tour?
I'm not sure they'd agree to it, I think Georgia refuse to play 'A' teams and only want full tests
Can understand why they'd feel disrespected by it, but equally just means they end up playing the same sides over and over

As mentioned before: Churchill cup coming back would be the best thing, rather than random one offs

By memory - the Churchill Cup failed for the same reasons.

Struggled to sell tickets/advertising/TV for matches against A-teams, especially whilst mostly failing to beat those A-teams, so demanded 1stXVs or nothing.

So they go nothing.

The thing I will never understand is the love affair with mallins. I get he was lighting up the prem, but we know what he is like at international level, lacking the physical traits to be an international wing. Very much a perfect fit with his club and if you arent going to run that system why have him there.

Or dropping OHC so quickly, might not have lit it up but young and potential while also being big, and keeping cockanasiga over others as well.

Just odd odd decisions, something I hope is adressed post WC but skeptical because of how frantic decisions have been pre.
So true, picking Daly and Malins and play kick chase does not add up.

Wonder what odds you'd've got for England being the only unbeaten team in the competition?

Obviously that will change, but even so...

Rumours that Genge, Mitchell, Daly and Steward being sent home, McIntyre, Warr, Roebuck and Carpenter being called up

Winners parade planned for Lichfield city centre with a trophy raising ceremony planned for outside the town hall and then drinks/pork pies/pickled eggs at The Drum after

Rumours that Genge, Mitchell, Daly and Steward being sent home, McIntyre, Warr, Roebuck and Carpenter being called up

Winners parade planned for Lichfield city centre with a trophy raising ceremony planned for outside the town hall and then drinks/pork pies/pickled eggs at The Drum after
It's starting to make sense now, the tree at Sycamore gap was cut down to make way for the new national stadium as part of "The Wall"

Latest posts