• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Well for 60 mins England were very good. Then had a lapse in defensive concentration as FIji also increased the tempo with Subs.

So next week...a monster. I suspect a step too far this group of England players.
However they have stopped the rot of Jones, and began the rebuild...defence improving, lineout..a work in progress, scrum looking strong, and generally becoming "hard to beat" Theres a steely attitude growing in this squad.

There will be quite a few personnel changes post world cup, and they they will continue to work on those areas, aswell a kicking quality (i hope) then also the last bit of the jigsaw is the attack to start coming through.

However they have stopped the rot of Jones, and began the rebuild...defence improving, lineout..a work in progress, scrum looking strong, and generally becoming "hard to beat" Theres a steely attitude growing in this squad.
I've not watched the game yet but this sounds like the exact opposite from the text commentary I was reading - didn't we finish the game clinging on for dear life to stop a Fijian comeback?

I've not watched the game yet but this sounds like the exact opposite from the text commentary I was reading - didn't we finish the game clinging on for dear life to stop a Fijian comeback?
Possibly it's fair to say we've stopped the rot, but that's not a high bar. Still not convinced we are on the right path. But we are on a path I guess.

As for the game - the thing is that I'd actually say that we looked pretty comfortable for an hour. I was never really worried until the end. We did let things slip at the end, although, when it appeared that momentum was with Fiji at 24 all, we managed to clamp down which was pleasing. Hard to judge overall. Better, but really hard to know how to read the result and I don't think we can until we face a really strong side.

Clive and others on ITV saying that Fiji played incredibly well. I'm not sure I agree tbh.

Possibly it's fair to say we've stopped the rot, but that's not a high bar. Still not convinced we are on the right path. But we are on a path I guess.

As for the game - the thing is that I'd actually say that we looked pretty comfortable for an hour. I was never really worried until the end. We did let things slip at the end, although, when it appeared that momentum was with Fiji at 24 all, we managed to clamp down which was pleasing. Hard to judge overall. Better, but really hard to know how to read the result and I don't think we can until we face a really strong side.

Clive and others on ITV saying that Fiji played incredibly well. I'm not sure I agree tbh.
They went for Fiji for 10mins and threw caution to the wind and a lot came off. Officials missed some big old forward passes though in that period. Anyone remember the long pass in their 22, so forward it could have been mistaken for quarter back throw

They went for Fiji for 10mins and threw caution to the wind and a lot came off. Officials missed some big old forward passes though in that period. Anyone remember the long pass in their 22, so forward it could have been mistaken for quarter back throw
I don't remember that one. I do remember the one in the open field backline build up which ended indirectly in a fiji try. Can't remember when exactly but it was a sort of pop ball inside to the runner.
You didn't need to look at the direction of the hands, you just needed to look at the position of the receiver standing clearly in front of the passer

Yes and no. We most definately had a lapse in concentration for a while in defence. That needs fixing...more mental i would say.

But in general we were in control when we were focused. Bossed the breakdown etc, and most areas. Thats just my opinion of course and many might disagree.
Continue on post world cup and start to build the attack and things will look a bit better for the doom mongering England fans.

Was really pleased with the breakdown ferocity from England yesterday- they'll need a lot of that to stem the South African tide in any meaningful way next weekend.

Be interesting to see how Borthwick approaches this game - we really need to pull out some tricks to pull this surprise off- a mighty task.

Anyone expect Steward to return this week?

Do you think Steward will get into the same postcode as Kolbe?
Of course I don't, I just asked the question as wasn't sure SB would be "as bold" against SA and that he might want physicality and height wherever he can find it.

The Springboks obviously very difficult to match up against physically- hence being very interested in the selection SB considers

I expect him to be back, wouldn't be surprised if he's on the wing with Smith still at 15. But wouldn't be surprised if smith isn't in the squad, as I'm expecting him to sit out due to the hits he took this week.

Get the VHS on and get watching the 2021 game. The Boks are better now, which in itself is terrifying, but it at least gives the blueprint to how we can get around with a smaller pack. If we try a poundland Boks game like it has looked like, we'll get eaten alive. Last 10 like against the ABs last year for 78 minutes and we should just avoid getting nilled.

What a change from 2019! Hopefully all the big guns have 'played their finals'

Get the VHS on and get watching the 2021 game. The Boks are better now, which in itself is terrifying, but it at least gives the blueprint to how we can get around with a smaller pack. If we try a poundland Boks game like it has looked like, we'll get eaten alive. Last 10 like against the ABs last year for 78 minutes and we should just avoid getting nilled.

What a change from 2019! Hopefully all the big guns have 'played their finals'
Yes I think that's the only angle I have for England and Argentina - they are playing sides who played in two games for the ages - it can be hard to back that up the following week.

Before the game, as an exhibition, there's a race the length of the pitch between Steward and Kolbe.
I mean, they give Freddie a motorbike, obviously...

Let's be real we have only one player who could maybe match Kolbe in terms of speed and he's apparently fallen out with the main selector.

One on one Smith and Steward both gets smoked by Kolbe it's a simple thing. Smith is a pretty quick 10 but against the world's most explosive wing?
The question is going to be what backline can stop it getting to Kolbe with any space

Let's be real we have only one player who could maybe match Kolbe in terms of speed and he's apparently fallen out with the main selector.

One on one Smith and Steward both gets smoked by Kolbe it's a simple thing. Smith is a pretty quick 10 but against the world's most explosive wing?
The question is going to be what backline can stop it getting to Kolbe with any space

Agreed, and not just that- can they hold firm against the De Allende physicality etc. That said it's also important England can somehow break the gainline too and ask SA some questions.

Debating in my head whether we might need to go Tuilagi-Lawrence for 60 mins and just run the ball as hard as we can and see if anything can get created off the back of it. It might just help us avoid SA turning us over on a regular basis and may negate our lack of ball carrying threat in (some of) our pack.

I also wonder if Jonny May might have to lose out on the right wing (or switch to the left if Daly was to miss out?). As people have mentioned that could mean Steward on the wing if Smith retains his place.

All I want for Christmas next year is a scrum half who plays with tempo, genuinely bosses his pack because he understands the game. OK fine they also need to be able to pass and kick decently but I don't care if they can make sniping runs. We've done that. I just want a 9 with a rugby brain.

Can VPF be that person?

Quirke is still the guy I've got highest hopes for. I know that he was poor post-injury but if he can get back to playing the kind of rugby he was beforehand then he's the front runner in my eyes. There's a crispness to everything he does that I rate very highly.
Would give Warr a run at the shirt too