• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Billy Vunipola has hit back at the suggestion that there is a top four in international rugby and that England are grouped amongst the also-rans even though they have won their way through to the Rugby World Cup quarter-finals.
I assume it's to do with this.

However, all I can find him actually quoted as saying is:
You see a lot of teams getting talked up. Apparently, there is a top four now in international rugby. I didn't know there was a table but we are quietly and confidently going about our work. Our plan is to play well against Fiji and then deal with whatever happens after that, but Fiji is our main threat.

Yeah what he said is different to what people are claiming, however this line is still pretty funny
Apparently, there is a top four now in international rugby. I didn't know there was a table
.....the rankings?

Yeah what he said is different to what people are claiming, however this line is still pretty funny

.....the rankings?
Ah seems I'm going to have to issue a public apology to Billy. Sorry I doubted your IQ, B.

To be fair, this is how Rugby Pass reported it 😅

"Billy Vunipola has hit back at the suggestion that there is a top four in international rugby and that England are grouped amongst the also-rans even though they have won their way through to the Rugby World Cup quarter-finals."

Anyone mentioned how Racing are potentially looking at Arundell at 13
Seems like typical Lancaster thing.

But would be interesting from an England POV
9. Quirke
10. Smith
11. OHC
12. Lawrence
13. Arundell
14. Murley
15. Carpenter

Would be some attacking backline for a coach to play with

Bit dodgy considering how bad his hands are, but then he runs good lines and is very fast so could tear sides apart if they can manufacture a half gap for him

Also makes sense seeing as they have an established 15 and pair of wingers and supposedly paid quite a lot for Arundell

I still feel that Eddie should've been given this RWC.

Couldn't have been any worse, RFU could've kept you know the few million it apparently spent and pumped it into the Champ clubs for another year, Eddie could've been given his last chance to see if he actually had a single bit of truth.

Also more importantly Borthwick and co could've been given another 18 months and see if they where actually good enough yet. Only Walters is experianced enough at this level.

But the media like everything by into early hype and 1 good club season way too much, look at Mitchell hyped as the next 9 off the rank but he's nowhere near good enough under pressure.

Second best option was to just give it to Cockerill who has good experience of doing short term turnarounds.

I will say as a Tigers fan I feel it worked out well for us, I wasn't convinced Borthwick wasn't being found out by Christmas last season. Tigers pocketed some nice money I'm pretty happy (Sinfield defence was certainly found out that season)
See I agree with you here but your obvious bias towards certain aspects of Leicester are undeniable you repeatedly tell me and others Steward is great he was over hyped etc etc, he has had descent game time and recent showing IMO are not great, yet your prepared to criticise Mitchell who wasn't even in the initial squad let alone starting, feels very much like a double standard this.

Until we get an international standard pack of forwards everything else is just window dressing
This is a half truth in reality, with the best coaching, fitness and motivation we probably don't have the talent to compete with top 4, however we would be comfortably punching consistently at our weight and selections would make some kind of logical sense, this is what I find most frustrating right now.

This is a half truth in reality, with the best coaching, fitness and motivation we probably don't have the talent to compete with top 4, however we would be comfortably punching consistently at our weight and selections would make some kind of logical sense, this is what I find most frustrating right now.
Agreed. I think looking at Mitchell and Smith being included. Borthwick has probably recognised there is a problem with the attack and his back selections.

It's great having attacking players but then using Mitchell as the example it's pointless if you then force them into a style that doesn't suit the skill set.

It's as if Borthwick after several games has realised we have a rubbish attack and the wrong players to do that. The blame is definitely on Borthwick with regards to tactics and selections so far during his tenure.

See I agree with you here but your obvious bias towards certain aspects of Leicester are undeniable you repeatedly tell me and others Steward is great he was over hyped etc etc, he has had descent game time and recent showing IMO are not great, yet your prepared to criticise Mitchell who wasn't even in the initial squad let alone starting, feels very much like a double standard this.

I'm prepared to criticise Mitchell because he has always been found wanting in big pressure games for Saints when playing a game style that suits him. (Also something I have pointed out for a long time) and for the last 12 months has been hyped by some especially certain pundits as the best English 9.

Steward shown he is International class, his first 18 months or so he was at the very least international class and had won a few man of the matches. He was overhyped as one of the best 15's in world rugby but he's a very solid International 15 even with his poor recent form.

Also Steward is 4 years younger than Mitchell.

Saying that Mitchell has shown more than say JVP who really didn't deserve his England call up, he clearly has talent as shown by a couple of performances against decent opposition but he needs to be Leicester starter before England squad.

Biased tigers fan criticises saints player.

Well that's obvious.

Ruck time was poor due to the forwards and not Mitchell.

Steward not shown anything. He's proven he can take a high ball, wow. So can all FBs in the premiership. Furbank > Steward in every way. He can take a high ball and attack.

Biased tigers fan criticises saints player.

Well that's obvious.

Ruck time was poor due to the forwards and not Mitchell.

Steward not shown anything. He's proven he can take a high ball, wow. So can all FBs in the premiership. Furbank > Steward in every way. He can take a high ball and attack.

Forwards do box kicks now as well?
It wasn't just the service that sucked.

There is a reason why Saints crumble in big pressure games against top teams the players can't handle it.

Honestly though I like Furbank I just think he's jack of all master of none.
Now Freeman is a different story I do think he should get a shot with England at 15 sometime

Forwards do box kicks now as well?
It wasn't just the service that sucked.

There is a reason why Saints crumble in big pressure games against top teams the players can't handle it.

Honestly though I like Furbank I just think he's jack of all master of none.
Now Freeman is a different story I do think he should get a shot with England at 15 sometime
I wish freeman was given a run at 15 for us but it's not going to happen. I'd still have freeman In an England shirt over the dross we currently have but not sure why SB had the current crop ahead of him. He's a solid finisher and a creator, better than May, Daly and Malins.

Latest posts