• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Think Vunipola on the bench is the only decision that can be held against Borthwick today. But that is a pretty big **** up.
I agree. Vunipola on and possibly Stewards final kick are what cost us the game. Steward needed to just go long, not try to compete.

I think it's amazing that we're all gutted that we aren't in the final...that's a big statement from this team.

The bigger statement from SB will be his next sqaud...

The likes of Billy V need to go. Of that's done...fabulous..if not then its an issue.

Tone of your post seems like you're disagreeing with me but it kinda corroborates exactly what I've said.

I've had some drinks though so please don't take offence if I've misjudged.
No I agree. They could have had Underhill. Imagine bringing on a player if his ability as opposed to an overweight undercooked Billy

No I agree. They could have had Underhill. Imagine bringing on a player if his ability as opposed to an overweight undercooked Billy
Oh okay then yeah completely agree. Personally would have taken Ludlam as Underhill is potentially undercooked but yeah; anyone over Billy. Borthwick's one major failing this semi-final. And unfortunately that one failing probably lost us the game.

Tactics in the second half lost us the game. Once we had the lead we just sat back as we've done in every day and then we kick and kick and let the opposition score eventually.

We need a plan to actually score tries and until we have that we won't get anywhere. I'll say that even with a semi final, if we play like this in the 6 nations with zero threat in attack we'll be 5th again.

Oh okay then yeah completely agree. Personally would have taken Ludlam as Underhill is potentially undercooked but yeah; anyone over Billy. Borthwick's one major failing this semi-final. And unfortunately that one failing probably lost us the game.
I think Ludlam was injured

Hope we use Friday as the start of new era, with those not giing to make 6N left out.

Be interesting to see:
A: Whether we can get up to this level again for the third place game
B: What the side we pick is - do we play it like it's the RWC final or do we mix things up more and not play players who are playing through injury etc.

A is most important, and will signify whether this was a blip or a turning point

Aled walters is very good at his job and is a very good get for what should be a younger side next year.

Be interesting to see:
B: What the side we pick is - do we play it like it's the RWC final or do we mix things up more and not play players who are playing through injury etc.

A is most important, and will signify whether this was a blip or a turning point
Just bin off this third place playoff

Be interesting to see:

A: I think we can and I think we will want to go out on a high. I also think there will be a serious question around Argentina's motivation after they got steamrollered by NZ. Sure, they'll have revenge on their mind, but that is the subtext every time we play them.

B: A bit of both I'd say. Curry looked battered so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play. Maybe he props change in a horses for courses type of thing?

Re. the blip or turning point …

Based upon what Borthwick did with Tigers, there's evidence to suggest he works on different areas at a time in order to build a more complete team.

What he needed to do was drag a demotivated team playing like crap out of he toilet. I think it's fair to say he's done that. I am choosing to believe that he picked players and a game plan he believed could do well in this tournament. Results would suggest he was right.

With roughly a third of this squad changing through retirement and eligibility, it'll have to be a rebuild, but at least we're starting from a point of confidence having been RWC semi finalists and 1 point away from beating SA. That gives us a reference point to say 'here's what you're capable of'. Let's hope we can draw upon that and play some rugby.

Having slept on it, I have a weird feeling Farrell might retire from England duty. His interview was very different to his usual ones - almost wistful. I always thought he would want to do a Sexton. However, it came across like he knows he won't make it to 2027 and might decide he can bow out having become record points scorer etc.

No Farrell would make the reboot a very different prospect.

A: I think we can and I think we will want to go out on a high. I also think there will be a serious question around Argentina's motivation after they got steamrollered by NZ. Sure, they'll have revenge on their mind, but that is the subtext every time we play them.

B: A bit of both I'd say. Curry looked battered so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play. Maybe he props change in a horses for courses type of thing?

Re. the blip or turning point …

Based upon what Borthwick did with Tigers, there's evidence to suggest he works on different areas at a time in order to build a more complete team.

What he needed to do was drag a demotivated team playing like crap out of he toilet. I think it's fair to say he's done that. I am choosing to believe that he picked players and a game plan he believed could do well in this tournament. Results would suggest he was right.

With roughly a third of this squad changing through retirement and eligibility, it'll have to be a rebuild, but at least we're starting from a point of confidence having been RWC semi finalists and 1 point away from beating SA. That gives us a reference point to say 'here's what you're capable of'. Let's hope we can draw upon that and play some rugby.

Having slept on it, I have a weird feeling Farrell might retire from England duty. His interview was very different to his usual ones - almost wistful. I always thought he would want to do a Sexton. However, it came across like he knows he won't make it to 2027 and might decide he can bow out having become record points scorer etc.

No Farrell would make the reboot a very different prospect.
I get the impression Farrell would rather retire than be dropped which I can understand as a competitive person.

They could have had Underhill...
What do you need to defend the last 20 min....that beast not a lazy BV. Id take a not 100% underhill. Guess SB wanted him there to add weight to the scrum which kind of does make sense, all he's good for a being a big lump.

Latest posts