• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

That's not a good sign. Borthwick doesn't seem to want to take a risk at all.

So the rumours thread reckons Manu's off to France. No real point in playing him or anyone else crossing the Channel in the 6N.

So that's the whole of the semi midfield of Farrell, Manu and Marchant seemingly going to France, add in May's retirement and that's a huge free hit for Borthwick. Daly's by no means guaranteed to start in the 6N, but Mitchell and Steward probably are, or as we otherwise know them, the scrum half who wasn't even in the original squad and the full back who got dropped for a out of position 10 in the QF.

With that in mind I guess SB goes for stability up from although both Lawes and Curry are out of contention.

So the rumours thread reckons Manu's off to France. No real point in playing him or anyone else crossing the Channel in the 6N.

So that's the whole of the semi midfield of Farrell, Manu and Marchant seemingly going to France, add in May's retirement and that's a huge free hit for Borthwick. Daly's by no means guaranteed to start in the 6N, but Mitchell and Steward probably are, or as we otherwise know them, the scrum half who wasn't even in the original squad and the full back who got dropped for a out of position 10 in the QF.

With that in mind I guess SB goes for stability up from although both Lawes and Curry are out of contention.
He has enough changes to make so anyone still eligible will be picked.

Nothing to do with identity though, it's to do with who you're capped by
It doesn't stop anyone from being employed or having different opportunities - it's just the RFU giving a bonus to it's clubs if they hit certain KPIs
All IMO and NAL, but it's not just about who you're capped by, uncapped players are affected too, it's about your nationality, which as far as I can see is an element of your racial identity, which is a protected characteristic. It's clearly designed as an incentive to employ EQPs, so I think it's hard to argue that it doesn't disadvantage non-EQPs.

My head says:

An exciting 50 and a boring average 21 with two good star players that get dropped after the Italy game.

My heart says:

An exciting 50 with an experienced core packed around with exciting on from players.

Bet my head wins, England coaches don't pick talent nor form.

I think you're 100% right that Borthwick will default to a conservative selection. However, the tricky part here is that his ability to select too many of the 'old guard' as they've either retired, injured or have taken themselves out of contention with a 'break' or a move overseas.

I'm sure I'm missing a few but of the over 30 contingent, it's only really Marler, George, Cole, Billy 🤢, Care, Ford, Daly and Watson that are potentially available for selection. I say potentially as Marler is definitely injured and Ford and Watson are possibly out too.

I think you're 100% right that Borthwick will default to a conservative selection. However, the tricky part here is that his ability to select too many of the 'old guard' as they've either retired, injured or have taken themselves out of contention with a 'break' or a move overseas.

I'm sure I'm missing a few but of the over 30 contingent, it's only really Marler, George, Cole, Billy 🤢, Care, Ford, Daly and Watson that are potentially available for selection. I say potentially as Marler is definitely injured and Ford and Watson are possibly out too.

Ford might be back for Sharks as early as this weekend. But our 10 has to have the word 'Smith' on his shirt. Longstanding fan of Marcus but really starting to like the look of Fin too.

Not seeing the Ford for captain thing at all although from what I hear maybe there's a decent coach in the making.

Captain has to be a guaranteed starter which I don't see Ford as. Discount Marler (poss injured anyway) and Cole and we're left with not much more than George, Itoje, Earl, Mitchell and Steward. Suspect George but I'd be inclined to lay down the gauntlet to Itoje.

My point was more that his penchant for conservatism is limited by who is available. If he could still pick some of yesterday's men, he probably would, but now he can't.

Apparently Saints are saying they will have 7 called up.
Guessing maybe
Langdon
Davidson (I feel he prob deserves his chance again espcially given TH weaknesses)
Mitchell
F.Smith
Freeman
two of Pearson/Ludlam/Coles/Dingwall/Furbank

Apparently Saints are saying they will have 7 called up.
Guessing maybe
Langdon
Davidson (I feel he prob deserves his chance again espcially given TH weaknesses)
Mitchell
F.Smith
Freeman
two of Pearson/Ludlam/Coles/Dingwall/Furbank
Will or "might have up to"?
JvG was saying Bath might have up to 10 - and even then it wasn't clear if he meant England, or across the 6N

Apparently Dowson said will.

No way Bath would have 10 players on the England radar??? Must be across
It also depends if this includes the A squad.

For the senior team it would likely be Stuart, Underhill, Barbeary, Spencer, Lawrence and Cokanasiga. Hopefully not Ewels!

If it includes the A squad, I could see Stoke, Reid, Muir and De Glanville as possibles.

Latest posts