• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

The big question for tomorrow is whether Bevan Rodd will get more turnovers than he gives away scrum penalties.
Do you watch club rugby?
He finished the season very strongly, and I'm usually a big critic of props not focusing on their scrummaging
He was managing an injury up until just before the 6N and had surgery on it during the 6N, steadily got better each game from then

Yeah good call that,
Would've liked to have seen Tuima in the mix but he should've been in the mix for the Japan game, better to the experience of Isiekwe there if they're gonna be in the mix for the ABs games
Isiekwe's defensive lineout work at the tailend of the season was great as well - think it was the Bristol game he was picking them off over and over again

Yeah good call that,
Would've liked to have seen Tuima in the mix but he should've been in the mix for the Japan game, better to the experience of Isiekwe there if they're gonna be in the mix for the ABs games
Isiekwe's defensive lineout work at the tailend of the season was great as well - think it was the Bristol game he was picking them off over and over again
Tuima would gave been a good call, but article today says SB was insistent on putting out strongest team.

I imagine Borthwick is looking at this as an opportunity for a statement series win. Like us, NZ are in transition and on paper have arguably the weakest side they'll have had in a good while.

It'll still be a tall order. NZ are very hard to beat at home, but we have a shot and even a 1-1 draw would probably be seen as a good result for England under Borthwick.

I imagine Borthwick is looking at this as an opportunity for a statement series win. Like us, NZ are in transition and on paper have arguably the weakest side they'll have had in a good while.

It'll still be a tall order. NZ are very hard to beat at home, but we have a shot and even a 1-1 draw would probably be seen as a good result for England under Borthwick.
Yes, they have lost some experienced players, quality/skills wise they are still going to be scary! Savea, Sotutu, Lakei, Clarke, Telea, McKenzie, Barrett's, Aumua and Lomax are just a couple of the excellent players they have. I dont see England winning a game, hope im wrong tho.

I'll take two plucky losses but you're right, this is the greatest opportunity for a win(s) in theory for a long time.

Yes, they have lost some experienced players, quality/skills wise they are still going to be scary! Savea, Sotutu, Lakei, Clarke, Telea, McKenzie, Barrett's, Aumua and Lomax are just a couple of the excellent players they have. I dont see England winning a game, hope im wrong tho.
I'm not saying they're not a good team but when you consider that the last time we toured they had McCaw, Read, Carter, Kaino, Ben Smith, Aaron Smith, Nonu, Whitelock, Retallick etc. (also mostly at their peak) they're not as fearsome as they have been in the past. The current team is 'scary!' in a very relative sense.

I'm not suggesting we are exactly fearsome either, but I feel better about the squad we're sending down there than the one that had Lee Dickson and Freddie Burns at 9 and 10.

Freddie Burns was quality that tour I thought.
First test of Morgan, Burns and Eastmond all putting in an excellent shift then dropped the next game.

What is Yarde doing atm?
He was at Bayonne last I think, after he was cleared by the police.

Not sure if/where he's been this season

Last edited:
Freddie Burns was quality that tour I thought.
First test of Morgan, Burns and Eastmond all putting in an excellent shift then dropped the next game.
Yeah. That's all very true. When you consider the relative lineups, it's interesting to see how we ran them pretty close. We should have won that first test.

I think you jumped the gun on Hoskins Sotutu 😊
NZ will always have very talented players as they have now. The difference now is the limited amount of truly world class players. The last time England toured NZ you could say they had at least a dozen or so. That isn't the case at prsent

New Zealand still have a lot of talent, but i don't think the quality of player in certain positions is where they would want it to be. There are definite areas of vulnerability in that squad. I think we match up well against them in the second row and back row especially. Aaron Smith is a huge miss for them as is Mo'unga. Out wide they look as threatening as ever but the effectiveness of the backs to a large extent relies on the work done up front.

I'm going to be a bit brave and say we will win one of the games if our forwards play to their maximum.

Last edited:
Honestly I feel was more trying too appease the public. On Steward he dropped him like a lead balloon despite him arguably being one of Englands decent players early six nations

You got to remember Coaches and players had to beg Borthwick to do attack training
Know im late to this, but look at who borths is trying to emulate, south africa havent played with this type of fullback in years and instead use them as a second playmaker or running threat.

I think a more reasonable assumption is he went with a solid stable kicker when everything was burning and always planned to move ot a more attack minded fullback once he started that phase of the plan.

Know im late to this, but look at who borths is trying to emulate, south africa havent played with this type of fullback in years and instead use them as a second playmaker or running threat.

I think a more reasonable assumption is he went with a solid stable kicker when everything was burning and always planned to move ot a more attack minded fullback once he started that phase of the plan.
I think there is something in this, everyone was getting fed up with Daly constantly failing at all of the defensive aspects of being a fullback, particularly the frequency he was getting beaten in the air. Teams had made a habit of dropping bombs on us and were winning them more often than not.

Furbank was struggling a couple of seasons ago as well. He had good form in patches but had some injuries and struggled. Adding weight to him has been massively beneficial as well.

Latest posts