• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Crusaders vs. Reds Qualifier 20/07/2013

Yes, but rightly or wrongly, no one can tell a fanbase to "move on". Especially when the worst of it is booing. :rolleyes: Like I said earlier, if he ever gets a personal threat, then we step back and take a look at ourselves. But I highly doubt that happens (getting more serious than a boo). Let's look at the other side of this complaint (of a boo).

I'm of the opinion that if it stops, cool, and I get it if it continues.

There is no logic behind fandom. In the realm of sportsdom, 2 years to hold a grudge is NOTHING. Just look at American sports, Football, tennis - things fester. They may or amy not die out, but these things run their course eventually.

Im sure he gets plenty of personal threats. End of the day most of them are in jest like this one though.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/sport/opinion/thats-rich/8947675/People-who-boo-at-sport-games-cowardly

Whens the next wallaby game in CHCH LOL?

There is no logic behind fandom. In the realm of sportsdom, 2 years to hold a grudge is NOTHING. Just look at American sports, Football, tennis - things fester. They may or amy not die out, but these things run their course eventually.

Yep.

The Curse of the Bambino and the resulting animosity between Yankees and Red Sox fans went on for over 80 years!

Last edited:
All teams target McCaw because he is usually their most influential player. Ali Williams stamped on his head, Jamie Heaslip did the same. I just hope that during the Rugby Championship there is no booing if he is playing.

All teams target McCaw because he is usually their most influential player. Ali Williams stamped on his head, Jamie Heaslip did the same. I just hope that during the Rugby Championship there is no booing if he is playing.

The difference is he didn't act in the way that Cooper did towards the Australian team. Cooper showed a massive lack of respect for his opposition and our national team by carrying on like a muppet. His actions have done far more harm for the game than the fan's booing has. I hope the booing follows the guy around for the rest of his career to be honest. The fans aren't booing the Reds or Wallabies, just Cooper himself. As mentioned above some Aussie players are definitely admired here. You'll find they're the ones who aren't ********s.

If Ali Williams or a similar annoying NZ player had acted as Cooper has against Australia and their captain I'd be booing him along with them to be honest.

at the end of the day you're entitled to your own views, mine are that the constant booing of any player have a negative impact on the sport. The negative impact is perceived by people outside the sport, and they're the people who matter most to the growth of the game.

This is some of the strangest logic I've read in a while. So fans booing a player mean the sport won't grow? I'd almost say it is the opposite as it means people are invested in the sport and create some passion/atmosphere. Football is the most popular sport in the world and some of their fans are mental. Some of the stuff they do must horrify you. Has it stopped football being popular? Nope. I've been to a champions league game with a non-sport person and they loved it due to the constant singing/chanting/booing. The more noise made the better and if that includes booing then so be it.

This is some of the strangest logic I've read in a while. So fans booing a player mean the sport won't grow? I'd almost say it is the opposite as it means people are invested in the sport and create some passion/atmosphere. Football is the most popular sport in the world and some of their fans are mental. Some of the stuff they do must horrify you. Has it stopped football being popular? Nope. I've been to a champions league game with a non-sport person and they loved it due to the constant singing/chanting/booing. The more noise made the better and if that includes booing then so be it.

Fair enough, maybe it's a personal thing. I don't make any comments towards the opposition or ref when I'm at a game, I'm pretty much there to cheer on my team, I can get pretty loud about it too. maybe that's why people love AFL so much, big crowds, so much passion and atmosphere, but it also means crazed fans yelling abuse at other fans, players and umpires including racial abuse, physical punch ons etc. when it get's to that stage it's disgusting more than horrifying, people acting like animals.

AFL isn't in danger of negative growth, it's one of the most popular sports in Aus, but ask anyone what they think of Collingwood fans and the response will be "they're ****ing animals". I wouldn't like to hear the same thing being said about rugby fans.

anyway, I have nothing further to add... Quade Cooper is a knob

Same here. I enjoyed it so much the last week I've fired up the time machine to rewatch live.

Latest posts