• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Crusaders vs. Reds Qualifier 20/07/2013

Why on earth their key tactic was to hide two of their best playmakers away from the action is beyond me, but the fact that Cooper needs to be hidden away on defence is the reason why I would never pick him. What he gives on attack in no way compensates for the liability he brings on defence.
lol yeah. Genia was more puzzling to me.

Cooper's too much of a high risk which renders the reward he may bring a little moot. It's not like when his side/goosesteps work ,that they have always work (result into points or great position). Usually he'll get past 1 or 3 guys, make some yards and be the end of it. Yes, there are some highlight tries, but we see too many "nothing" games form him to warrant him as a viable "elite" first five.

If this were the NFL, and 10s were QBs, he wouldn't be in the top 10 for me. His upside isn't worth it - too many down games to matter. If you want a "hopes and dreams" XV that relies on potential and "what if" moments, then by all means, select him.

I'll take a solid, non-flashy 10 that knows when and how to direct a game any day.

I wonder weather there is already stuff coming from Mckenzie on how he wants cooper to play in the test matches (assuming he selects him at first five). He was standing right there in the coaches box after all. Cooper did seem unusually subdued in this game compared to the game vs the lions.

Also on Genia he does the same stuff when he was playing the lions under deans. acting back quite a bit and sweeping the line even covering fullback at times.... its intresting as A Smith does abit of this which im sure is more due to his defensive frailty more than anything why Genia is doing this is a bit of mystery to me. They must not have much faith in the wings in Australia or something.

Its great that the Crusaders dismantled them so convincingly though it will make Mckenzie already start second guessing himself.

Notice how dagg sometimes comes in a first reciever for the crusaders and how that worked for them? Much better than anything cooper did.
Having Dagg as an option at first receiver is great. Wish the ABs would do it more, We'd then have the optoin of DC, Nonu, Dagg as possible first receivers.

ohhh bless, did anyone see the look on poor little quades face after the game? So sad :(

Dan Carter vs Quade Cooper? That's never a contest.

Half the time they don't even have the chance of a contest because Quade is hiding at fullback.

As for the pasting Quade gets from NZ crowds, well he only has himself to blame for that. All those cheap-shot tactics he tried to intimidate McCaw with; the knee in the head, forearm in to the throat, the ***** slapping etc, all designed to put McCaw off his game and provoke him into a response, failed to work, and have now come back to bite him in the arse. That's what you get when you pick on our captain (just ask SCW and Alistair Campbell what happens when you do that).

I hope the NZ crowds continue get on his case because it appears to work. If McKenzie picks him, then he will know to expect more of the same at the Cake Tin and the Glass House later this year. I think NZ crowds will continue to harass him until he plays a good game against us. Perhaps if he were to come out an publicly apologise for his actions, they may stop, but I doubt it.

People do it now because they have been doing it, and because he is easy to dislike.

ohhh bless, did anyone see the look on poor little quades face after the game? So sad :(

Dan Carter vs Quade Cooper? That's never a contest.

sorry mate but I hate this attitude. Kiwis supposedly pride themselves on their humility, this is just rubbing someone's face in the dirt.
If the reds had won, you wouldn't be posting this... nor would Woldog be putting down any Crusaders fans.

I hope the NZ crowds continue get on his case because it appears to work. If McKenzie picks him, then he will know to expect more of the same at the Cake Tin and the Glass House later this year. I think NZ crowds will continue to harass him until he plays a good game against us. Perhaps if he were to come out an publicly apologise for his actions, they may stop, but I doubt it.

I hope kiwis stop doing it, no player deserves it, but on the other hand if it affects Quade that much that he has a bad day at the office, then I question his ability as a professional athlete. If something as childish as a crowd booing is going to affect your focus, then you're not up to it.

Quade should have just snuck into the All Blacks rooms and took a dump in the side pocket of McCaw kit bag :)

sorry mate but I hate this attitude. Kiwis supposedly pride themselves on their humility, this is just rubbing someone's face in the dirt.
If the reds had won, you wouldn't be posting this... nor would Woldog be putting down any Crusaders fans.

I hate that attitude as well brother. No class but its one posters honest opinion I guess. Every country has them, those ones that cant help but take a poke at ya. I know heaps of Samoans like that. What about Gregeans four more years...

lol wut? Wasn't dirt rubbing - it was just feeling sorry. Either way you're labelling 4.5 million people based on one post -which is grasping at straws from your end, at best.

And the DC vs Quade thing - is in response to anyone that might feel him ahead of Dan. I wouldn't put him ahead of Bernard Foley, Matt Toomua/Lealiafano, JoC (despite the poor Lions performances), Berrick Barnes, etc.
Too risky, and not worth the odd upside.

How that can be misconstrued as anything other than your usual fan-discussion about "who's better" is nitpicking at this point.

I hate that attitude as well brother. No class but its one posters honest opinion I guess. Every country has them, those ones that cant help but take a poke at ya. I know heaps of Samoans like that. What about Gregeans four more years...

Yeah but that's different.... (I think) :rolleyes:

At this point, what happens to quade - I don't really care. Sure, at the time it riled me right up, but I couldn't really care less at this point if they cheered him on with a marching band everytime he sniffs the ball.

But like someone said - it's all HIS OWN DOING

And until someone crosses the line and harms him or his family, then this is simply reaping what he's sown.

Last edited:
Quade Cooper deserves all the booing he gets. Notice no other opposition players gets booed. It's not unsportsmanship booing him, he's being booed because of his own idiocy. He has no one to blame but himself.

It actually wasn't the knee or the forearm to the throat thing that got me - it was when they won a game and QC ran 30m accross the field to give Richie McCaw a shove after full time. I was thinking it was exceptionally classless. I'm over the QC booing. During the RWC Australia vs USA was probably when he got it worst - and I admit I boo'd half ironically as well. But the reality is the QC/McCaw thing is in the past now, many worse things have happened before a since. I remember one game in which Brad Thorn and Piri Weepu both gave QC a very hard time - rightfully considering QC's play the previous time they met. But I think if the players who it effected have risen above it then as a public we should let it go. For someone watching the game and unaware of the history between QC and the AB's - it doesn't make NZ crowds looks very gracious, and for the most part I'd probably say we aren't.

I think the booing needs to stop it's not football we as rugby fans should be above that and New Zealand as the best in the world should be the shining example of how supports conduct themselves, of corse there will be some who can't get over themselves but I refuse to believe that all 20,000 people in AMI stadium are so thuggish as all the Kiwi's I know are great blokes.

I think the booing needs to stop it's not football we as rugby fans should be above that and New Zealand as the best in the world should be the shining example of how supports conduct themselves, of corse there will be some who can't get over themselves but I refuse to believe that all 20,000 people in AMI stadium are so thuggish as all the Kiwi's I know are great blokes.

Supporters support their team, and naturally get ****** off when a thug comes along and goes outside the laws of the game to disrupt the supporters' team.

EDIT: Wow pi$$ed is censored... Did not know that!

Your right NZ supporters dont belittle somebody for no reason.

Quade deserves everything he gets and more as far as im concerned i hope it continues. The guy is a piece of trash.

I will even go as far as to say that im pi$$ed that Dagg came out and said everyone should stop doing it. He can **** off to australia aswell.

Last edited:
Supporters support their team, and naturally get ****** off when a thug comes along and goes outside the laws of the game to disrupt the supporters' team.

EDIT: Wow pi$$ed is censored... Did not know that!

Haha, it's a recent thing I think. Very strange from a NZ perspective as we use pi$$ed as our preferred colloqual substitute to annoyed.

Your right NZ supporters dont belittle somebody for no reason.

Quade deserves everything he gets and more as far as im concerned i hope it continues. The guy is a piece of trash.

I will even go as far as to say that im pi$$ed that Dagg came out and said everyone should stop doing it. He can **** off to australia aswell.

to be honest it's good to see Dagg telling everyone to stop. You may hate quade, I don't have a problem with that, and you may enjoy booing him, that's when I think people should take a step back, remove their personal emotion from the situation and realise that it's really bad for the game as a whole. You can't say Dagg can p-off to Australia as well because he's trying to uphold the image of the sport.

I'd hate rugby to be known as the sport that boo's players, we should be putting our energy into supporting our own teams, not putting the opposition or their players down.

to be honest it's good to see Dagg telling everyone to stop. You may hate quade, I don't have a problem with that, and you may enjoy booing him, that's when I think people should take a step back, remove their personal emotion from the situation and realise that it's really bad for the game as a whole. You can't say Dagg can p-off to Australia as well because he's trying to uphold the image of the sport.

I'd hate rugby to be known as the sport that boo's players, we should be putting our energy into supporting our own teams, not putting the opposition or their players down.

What so if Dagg runs around the field in the rugby championship games against australia smacking horwell or george smith up the side of the head and generally being a pratt in every game you think thats o.k?

What a load of tosh its not going to make any difference to the game. Infact if we got rid of Quade all together it would do more for the game than a bunch of boo's from some canterbury supporters.

at the end of the day you're entitled to your own views, mine are that the constant booing of any player have a negative impact on the sport. The negative impact is perceived by people outside the sport, and they're the people who matter most to the growth of the game.

I don't like booing no matter who it's targeted at - I don't care how intense the rivalry, or how dirty the player. This "tradition" of booing Cooper is just embarrassing, and bad for the image of New Zealand rugby and of rugby union as a whole. It was funny two years ago, now it's time to move on.

Quade Cooper deserves all the booing he gets. Notice no other opposition players gets booed. It's not unsportsmanship booing him, he's being booed because of his own idiocy. He has no one to blame but himself.

Absolutely my point. Quade Cooper set out on a deliberately orchestrated campaign to antagonise and intimidate McCaw in order to either put him off his game, or provoke a response. This was obvious to anyone who watched his antics. Cooper attacked him physically, off the ball, targeting his head and neck area. The attempt failed because, to his credit, McCaw just kept his responses mostly verbal with the occasional shove. Better yet, he answered Cooper's cheap-shot campaign in the best way possible; by playing out of his skin.

After Cooper was cited for his knee to McCaw's head, and then was let off scot-free, NZ run fans were incensed. They felt the judiciary had effectively endorsed Cooper's tactics by not punishing him, so they have exacted their own punishment.

The situation Cooper finds himself in now is entirely of his own doing; as the old saying goes "...he has been the engineer of his own misfortune". If he he can't cope with it, then it doesn't say a lot for him as a professional sportsman... perhaps he could approach McCaw for some advice on coping with intimidation, because I can't think of any player in rugby who has been subjected to more illegal off the ball violence on the rugby field than him.

I can understand the reasoning behind it, but I can't understand the continuation of it, it happened 2 - 3 years ago. at what point do you move on?

As ****** as the saffas were at bryce lawrence 2 years ago, your don't hear about it much anymore. they've moved on.

I can understand the reasoning behind it, but I can't understand the continuation of it, it happened 2 - 3 years ago. at what point do you move on?

As ****** as the saffas were at bryce lawrence 2 years ago, your don't hear about it much anymore. they've moved on.

Of course, Bryce has retired, and that helps quite a bit!!.

Matey, I think kiwi crowds see this as a way to assist their team. It gives them a point of focus in that, if they can put this player off, the better the chance they have of their team winning.

Quade Cooper's whole demeanour; his apparent arrogance, his sniping at McCaw, his 'toxic" comments regarding Robbie Deans and the ARU coaching setup, even his dubious honesty with regard to the burglary charges against him; they all add up to a target on his back, making him easy for people to dislike, and dislike him they do. I think this whole thing has taken on a bit of a life of its own now, because it appears to work.

Kiwi rugby fans have great respect for a quite a number of Wallaby players... Stephen Moore, George Smith, Will Genia, James Horwill, Berrick Barnes, David Pocock etc, and that is because those players have earned our respect. However, you'll find their respect for Quade Cooper is nearly indistinguishable from zero! If he wants respect, he'll have to earn it too, and I have seen nothing from him that indicates he deserves it.

Yes, but rightly or wrongly, no one can tell a fanbase to "move on". Especially when the worst of it is booing. :rolleyes: Like I said earlier, if he ever gets a personal threat, then we step back and take a look at ourselves. But I highly doubt that happens (getting more serious than a boo). Let's look at the other side of this complaint (of a boo).

I'm of the opinion that if it stops, cool, and I get it if it continues.

There is no logic behind fandom. In the realm of sportsdom, 2 years to hold a grudge is NOTHING. Just look at American sports, Football, tennis - things fester. They may or amy not die out, but these things run their course eventually.

Latest posts