Crusaders vs. Reds Qualifier 20/07/2013

Gena_ZA

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
With the Crusaders peaking and back to their best one will have to be brave to back the Reds on this one

Can't see the Reds taking this, but knock-out rugby anything happen. I'd say Saders by 10.

I'd like to see a game like the Final of 2011, was a great game, one of the best finals ever seen in my life:

A nice try of Dan Carter, great try of Digby Ioane and amazing try of Will Genia. Unforgettable game!

Last edited by a moderator:
^That was the greatest game ever! With the reds success with the kiwi sides this year i would prefer the crusaders over the bulls but if we play like we did last week we will struggle to win. it is so cool that two teams who have not played each other are playing in the finals.

I'd like to see a game like the Final of 2011, was a great game, one of the best finals ever seen in my life:

A nice try of Dan Carter, great try of Digby Ioane and amazing try of Will Genia. Unforgettable game!
Far out. Imagine an ANZAC team with Genia/Carter combo. Would be insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Far out. Imagine an ANZAC team with Genia/Carter combo. Would be insane.

Well... Genia/Cooper it's a great couple, especially in Super Rugby. They still didn't show your best game together in Wallabies.

Last edited:
I'd rather an Anzac team with

9. Genia
10. Cooper
12. Carter

Cooper's too flakey for my liking. He might bring brilliance to a game, but he's just as likely to do something really stupid and bring unmitigated disaster. Some of the stuff he did in the Waratahs v Reds game was out and out dumb rugby; passing the ball blind, throwing no-look inside passes. You just don't do that stuff in a tight game, and it was just plain old dumb luck that it didn't cost the Reds dearly.

IMO he's Aussie's equivalent to our Carlos Spencer, but more brilliant and at the same time, more likely to cost you a vital game.

Cooper's too flakey for my liking. He might bring brilliance to a game, but he's just as likely to do something really stupid and bring unmitigated disaster. Some of the stuff he did in the Waratahs v Reds game was out and out dumb rugby; passing the ball blind, throwing no-look inside passes. You just don't do that stuff in a tight game, and it was just plain old dumb luck that it didn't cost the Reds dearly.

IMO he's Aussie's equivalent to our Carlos Spencer, but more brilliant and at the same time, more likely to cost you a vital game.

You're right, Cooper is more inconsistent, that's good and bad at the same time. His greatest virtue is also his greatest flaw, he risks a lot, the results can be wonderful or disastrous, no middle ground.

He's hero or villain, but this irresponsibility his has in his game does exciting things, like the time being in his own ingoal made ​​a kick to Digby Ioane was on the other side, crazy!!!. When things go well, he's a magician. When things go bad, he's stupid.

But you're right, Carter is more consistent in his play. In 10 games, plays well in 9. While Cooper in 10 games, playing at their best in 7 and 3 can be a disaster. If you want security, your 10 must be Dan Carter. If you want a little crazy and magical things happen, your 10 must be Quade Cooper. I think it's good to have "mad" players at the professional level, as when we played in the backyard of our homes.

In an interview, Quade Cooper was asked what were his idols in his childhood and he replied: "Christian Cullen, Jonah Lomu and Carlos Spencer". He wanted to be like the 3 but realized he would never Cullen speed or Lomu speed, then he was inspired by Carlos Spencer.

Regards

Yup confusion steps in when your not sure if your a boxer or a pom-pom girl

Yup confusion steps in when your not sure if your a boxer or a pom-pom girl

Well, at the moment South Africa has no quality 10. Morné Steyn has been criticized by you last year, Pat Lambie maybe but not a position in which South Africa has many options.

Regards

I think Carter-Cooper would make at good 10/12 combo, would give you great options to attack using double play makers and Carters calm controlled approach off setting Coppers madness. However I think if you have Carter you simply don;t need a second play maker.

I think Carter-Cooper would make at good 10/12 combo, would give you great options to attack using double play makers and Carters calm controlled approach off setting Coppers madness. However I think if you have Carter you simply don;t need a second play maker.

Cooper + Carter = Too much magic. Then you need a great defense, nothing is better than the fabulous: Conrad Smith!

130717052933495369.jpg

130717052928285148.jpg

13071705252272170.jpg

130717052525319037.jpg

130717052527352803.jpg

Regards

Last edited:
Crusaders: Israel Dagg, Tom Marshall, Ryan Crotty, Tom Taylor, Zac Guildford, Dan Carter, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read (c), Matt Todd, George Whitelock, Sam Whitelock, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett: Reserves: Ben Funnell, Joe Moody, Luke Whitelock, Richie McCaw, Willi Heinz, Tyler Bleyendaal, Adam Whitelock.
tumblr_mdrbd6Y9LI1revfobo1_500.jpg

Should be a great match. Crusaders by 7.

Last edited:
Well, at the moment South Africa has no quality 10. Morné Steyn has been criticized by you last year, Pat Lambie maybe but not a position in which South Africa has many options.

Regards
Cooper is up for discussion, no comparisons were made here

Crusaders: Israel Dagg, Tom Marshall, Ryan Crotty, Tom Taylor, Zac Guildford, Dan Carter, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read (c), Matt Todd, George Whitelock, Sam Whitelock, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett: Reserves: Ben Funnell, Joe Moody, Luke Whitelock, Richie McCaw, Willi Heinz, Tyler Bleyendaal, Adam Whitelock.
tumblr_mdrbd6Y9LI1revfobo1_500.jpg

Should be a great match. Crusaders by 7.

Only weakish link is the centres, rest is pure class

The St.George Queensland Reds team to play Crusaders in Super Rugby Qualifier on Saturday at AMI Stadium, Christchurch is:

1. Greg Holmes
2. Saia Faingaa
3. James Slipper
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (c)
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia (vc)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Chris Feauai-Sautia
12. Jono Lance
13. Ben Tapuai
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Ben Lucas

Replacements:

16. Albert Anae
17. Jono Owen
18. Ed O'Donoghue
19. Radike Samo
20. Beau Robinson
21. Nick Frisby
22. Luke Morahan

Absolutely. This is why I never really warmed to Carlos either. Best ANZAC team has Cooper on the bench, not starting. Put him on when the game is nearly out of reach.
You're right, Cooper is more inconsistent, that's good and bad at the same time. His greatest virtue is also his greatest flaw, he risks a lot, the results can be wonderful or disastrous, no middle ground.

He's hero or villain, but this irresponsibility his has in his game does exciting things, like the time being in his own ingoal made ​​a kick to Digby Ioane was on the other side, crazy!!!. When things go well, he's a magician. When things go bad, he's stupid.

But you're right, Carter is more consistent in his play. In 10 games, plays well in 9. While Cooper in 10 games, playing at their best in 7 and 3 can be a disaster. If you want security, your 10 must be Dan Carter. If you want a little crazy and magical things happen, your 10 must be Quade Cooper. I think it's good to have "mad" players at the professional level, as when we played in the backyard of our homes.

In an interview, Quade Cooper was asked what were his idols in his childhood and he replied: "Christian Cullen, Jonah Lomu and Carlos Spencer". He wanted to be like the 3 but realized he would never Cullen speed or Lomu speed, then he was inspired by Carlos Spencer.

Regards
Also - people are also understating Carter's brilliance of scoring nowhere tries just because he's calmer, and conversely, overstating Cooper's ability by stating his "madness". Carter scores a lot of great tries himself, and also creates a lot. To me, "excitement" is what your back three is for. And again, it's not like Carter is no slouch (actually quite a prolific tryscorer in his own right) either.

Last edited:

Latest posts