• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Crusaders vs. Reds Qualifier 20/07/2013

And that, ladies and gentleman, is how we do that!!

The performance of the referee and his assistants for the game was terrible. Hope none of them are selected for the final.

Err why? I thought they were pretty good.

Can you cite specific instances where you thought they made incorrect decisions. I can only think of one; the "carried back" call against the Crusaders

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I thought the referees were good.
Only thing I can think of, bar the above "carried back" incident, was in the build up to Crusaders first try:
At the ruck before the held up ball Carter dove straight off his feet (to my eyes anyway) - can forgive the ref that as it was a right mess of players trying to get in. Also thought that the ball was lost forward rather than held up, however that was a 50/50 call so not too bad there.

Can you cite specific instances where you thought they made incorrect decisions. I can only think of one; the "carried back" call against the Crusaders

So it was the wrong call? I'm always confused by the inside/outside ruling on rucks on the 22m line. Which part of the ruck has to be behind the 22m line?

I was hoping for a closer game, but congrats to the crusaders. whoever said they were impossible to beat at home was on the money.

So it was the wrong call? I'm always confused by the inside/outside ruling on rucks on the 22m line. Which part of the ruck has to be behind the 22m line?

Not the ruck/tackle/maul. Its the ball. If the ball or any part of the ball carrier is touching the 22m then the ball is in the 22m area. Just think of it as being consistent with the touchline; if the ball touches the touchline or any part of the ball carrier's body touches the touchline, the the ball is out. The only difference with the 22m area is that you have to take into account where the ball or ball carrier was beforehand.

► Ball carrier outside of 22m touches the 22m line with his foot and then kicks out = no gain in ground

► Ball carrier inside 22m or on the 22m line and then kicks out = gain in ground

Carter was tackled and his back went onto the 22m line, but since he was inside the 22m before he was tackled, and never outside it, it was not carried back.

The only other possible error I spotted was with regard to the Quade Cooper's forward throw in. The officials put the scrum down 20m closer the the Crusaders' line than where the forward throw was, on the basis perhaps that this is where the ball crossed the touchline, and so it was the line of touch. However, this is wrong.

[TEXTAREA]Law 19.2 (e) At a quick throw-in, if the player throws the ball in the direction of the opposition's goal line or if the ball does not travel at least 5 metres to the 5-metre line along or behind the line of touch before it touches the ground or a player, or if the player steps into the field of play when the ball is thrown, then the quick throw-in is disallowed. The opposing team chooses to throw in at either a lineout where the quick throw-in was attempted, or a scrum on the 15-metre line at that place. If they too throw in the ball incorrectly at the lineout, a scrum is formed on the 15-metre line. The team that first threw in the ball throws in the ball at the scrum.[/TEXTAREA]

Crusaders should have been given an option of a line-out or a scrum 15m in at the place where Cooper threw the ball in incorrectly.

Yeah, I thought the referees were good.
Only thing I can think of, bar the above "carried back" incident, was in the build up to Crusaders first try:
At the ruck before the held up ball Carter dove straight off his feet (to my eyes anyway) - can forgive the ref that as it was a right mess of players trying to get in. Also thought that the ball was lost forward rather than held up, however that was a 50/50 call so not too bad there.

I agree. Judgement calls are in the purview of the referee and they are his to make. Materiality often comes into that too. Referees don't penalise every infringement; if they did, we wouldn't have a game.

I don't really have a problem with the carried back one, because again, that is the judgement of the official, however, I do have a problem with the scrum being set in the wrong place for the Cooper incorrect throw-in, because that is a Law error, and I don't like seeing referees at this level making Law errors.

Last edited:

There were several wrong calls and these were easy calls. 1) The carried back, 2)@37 min the lost forward and cooper forward pass...

Reds' poor play, good defense of the Crusaders. I expected more from Reds...

Reds go home!

So three errors in 80 minutes. I would love to have a game with so few errors.

Referees are human just like the players. They dont wear blue jumpsuits and a red cape

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

There was a stage there that he threatened to leave the reds for the bumboys or some other team i forget. The deal was all signed and everything but he reneged on it. What can i say, im not part of the A smith or Will Genia fan club on here. LOL.

You watch different games to everyone else judging by your comments most of the time.

I'm a lucky, before the game I added to my Fantasy Team: Ryan Crotty and Tom Marshall, Ryan made ​​two tries and Tom made ​​one, then they added 3 tries for my team:

130721123423175009.jpg

:D

I hope that George Smith, Nic White, Pieter Labuschagne and Willie Le Roux join many points for my team...

Regards

Last edited:
I was hoping for a closer game, but congrats to the crusaders. whoever said they were impossible to beat at home was on the money.

Me too but ok, Crusaders just played better rugby.

Regards!

Will Genia is three classes above Andy Ellis.

Not last night he wasn't. Ellis completely outplayed, outclassed and out-passioned Genia all over the park. Even accepting that the Crusaders forwards had the Red pack back-pedalling for most of the match, it was still a poor performance by Genia, who has always previously looked good even behind a Wallaby pack going backwards.

In fact I'd go as far to say this is one of the weakest Crusaders teams on paper. I predict they should topple the Reds as they are down some pretty important players, but I'd be surprised if this wasn't close.

Well Nick, you must be surprised, because that was a comprehensive botty-smacking any way you slice it. The Crusaders just stifled everything the Reds tried last night, and basically slammed the door on them in every key phase of the the game.

Running Metres 614 - 432
Clean Breaks: 15 - 4
Defenders beaten: 24 - 14
Offloads: 22 - 4
Ruck winning %: 97.4 - 92.5
Turnovers: 16 - 10
Tackle % Completion rate: 92 - 82

...and all this on the back of only 38% time in possession and less than 40% time in the Reds territory.

Finally, what else does Ryan Crotty have to do to get a Black jersey. The guy has been the form midfielder of the NZ teams this season, he deserves selection in the 30 for the Rugby Championship, and the EOYT

Not last night he wasn't. Ellis completely outplayed, outclassed and out-passioned Genia all over the park. Even accepting that the Crusaders forwards had the Red pack back-pedalling for most of the match, it was still a poor performance by Genia, who has always previously looked good even behind a Wallaby pack going backwards.

What i dont get is Genia has done nothing in the last two years to suggest he's all that great yet all these guys are hoping about like I denied the second coming of jesus or something.

They guy got beat up and looked like he got beat up at the end of this game.

I remember a similar instance years ago when the brumbies played the highlanders and gregan and his forwards targetted byron and totally beat the crap out of him. This was similar but not quite as convincing the brumbies really dealt to kelleher in that game.

What i dont get is Genia has done nothing in the last two years to suggest he's all that great yet all these guys are hoping about like I denied the second coming of jesus or something.
All these guys?
No one has said anything about Genia's performance today :huh:
That I've seen anyway.

What a game form the Crusdares. Pretty much perfect. Great intensity.

This is what happens when you hide Cooper/Genia at fullback. Cooper didn't try anything for the full 80.

This is what happens when you hide Cooper/Genia at fullback. Cooper didn't try anything for the full 80.

I wonder weather there is already stuff coming from Mckenzie on how he wants cooper to play in the test matches (assuming he selects him at first five). He was standing right there in the coaches box after all. Cooper did seem unusually subdued in this game compared to the game vs the lions.

Also on Genia he does the same stuff when he was playing the lions under deans. acting back quite a bit and sweeping the line even covering fullback at times.... its intresting as A Smith does abit of this which im sure is more due to his defensive frailty more than anything why Genia is doing this is a bit of mystery to me. They must not have much faith in the wings in Australia or something.

Its great that the Crusaders dismantled them so convincingly though it will make Mckenzie already start second guessing himself.

Notice how dagg sometimes comes in a first reciever for the crusaders and how that worked for them? Much better than anything cooper did.

Last edited:

Why on earth their key tactic was to hide two of their best playmakers away from the action is beyond me, but the fact that Cooper needs to be hidden away on defence is the reason why I would never pick him. What he gives on attack in no way compensates for the liability he brings on defence.

Pitbulls vs. Poodles more likely in this game
Hope Chiefs are more of a challenge against this Crusading machine

Latest posts