• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

It's a bit of both whilst I have no doubt she's doing it mainly for the independent Scotland angle she has the added benefit of probably being right and not making a pigs ear of it.

It's a bit of both whilst I have no doubt she's doing it mainly for the independent Scotland angle she has the added benefit of probably being right and not making a pigs ear of it.
Well... I mean we've been equally as ****** up here as in England...
Despite the media somehow portraying her as "straight talking" and somehow managing this **** better, in the past few weeks her government has been called out on not having any number on how many people have been contact traced, only hired 600 of 2000 contact tracing staff, covered up the outbreak at the Nike Conference, failed to inform some of those involved that they may have been infected, made the same PPE mistakes as Westminster, only paid out 3/5 of the Scottish gov business support package, discharged a thousand untested patients back into care homes, amongst other **** ups...

They've made basically the same mistakes as Westminster but for some reason even BBC Scotland don't seem to draw that much focus on it and when a journo expresses an opinion she gets targeted by the FM...

Apologies for the rant but she has been ******* useless and the media/public just don't seem to care... I don't know why, it's either cause people in England don't care about Scotland, the media don't get enough clicks or because she's not a Tory or called Boris.

Honestly the **** the SNP have overseen in the past half decade should have made them unelectable beyond all reason but alas...

Well... I mean we've been equally as ****** up here as in England...
Despite the media somehow portraying her as "straight talking" and somehow managing this **** better, in the past few weeks her government has been called out on not having any number on how many people have been contact traced, only hired 600 of 2000 contact tracing staff, covered up the outbreak at the Nike Conference, failed to inform some of those involved that they may have been infected, made the same PPE mistakes as Westminster, only paid out 3/5 of the Scottish gov business support package, discharged a thousand untested patients back into care homes, amongst other **** ups...

They've made basically the same mistakes as Westminster but for some reason even BBC Scotland don't seem to draw that much focus on it and when a journo expresses an opinion she gets targeted by the FM...

Apologies for the rant but she has been ******* useless and the media/public just don't seem to care... I don't know why, it's either cause people in England don't care about Scotland, the media don't get enough clicks or because she's not a Tory or called Boris.

Honestly the **** the SNP have overseen in the past half decade should have made them unelectable beyond all reason but alas...

Take credit for the good, blame Westminster for the bad. Easy tactic used all through history and still works just fine the world over. Case in point, Trump taking credit for the good and blaming Obama for the bad.

Oh dear Dom what have you done? You have a home in London where you should have self isolated with you wife and son as soon as you knew you had symptoms but you chose to travel all the way up to Durham to dump your son onto your parents who are over 70 and who should have been shielded from symptomatic selfish irresponsible rule breaking idiots like......you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52779356

Cummings spoken to by police after breaking social distancing rules and swanning off to Durham.

I wonder if the Tories calling for the heads of the others that broke the rules, will call for his?
Hancock, himself, said sacking the scientist whose modelling prompted the lockdown was the correct decision to make, after he met with his girlfriend during lockdown.
IDS (rightfully, tbf) slagged the guy off, as well, saying it undermined the government.

One rule for me, another for thee - the Tory tagline.

Edit: Covered by the above :p

Of course he should go. Will he though...politicians and especially the conservatives are usually fine with being hypocrites.

The Scottish Chief Medical Officer ending up resigning for visiting a second home which was vacant and 44 miles away from her main home. What Cummings has done is considerably worse in that he exposed his vulnerable parents to the virus by dropping his son on them not to mention travelling over 200 miles. It'll be an absolute scandal if he doesn't go. Cummings remaining in post also risks increased rule flouting (and the R rate going up) if the public take the view that it's one set of rules for Government officials and another for them.

Of course Cummings should go. No brainer and no great loss.

According to Laura Kuenssberg's twitter there were a small number of people within no10 who knew what Cummings had done. If they weren't demanding his resignation behind closed doors then they're complicit and should also be in the crosshairs.

If he does get sacked it'll just be ceremonial - he's not an MP or anything, he'll still he BoJos top advisor just from the shadows.

If he does get sacked it'll just be ceremonial - he's not an MP or anything, he'll still he BoJos top advisor just from the shadows.

This is exactly what will happen. A ceremonial theatre departure where he'll technically be removed from the payroll and then rehired as a consultant via a limited company. He wouldn't have been physically in No.10 for a while anyway.

We left the EU to get away from unelected, unaccountable people having an impact on British politics, say the supporters of Cummins.

Fuming about Cummins (and others I know of making long journeys to see family members) the real question isn't should he resign but more why hasn't he been sacked....

My Dad turned 60 yesterday and I was so damn close to getting into a car and sick and tired of making those sacrifices when others aren't willing.

Wheeling out the 'caring for your wife and child' line is all well and good but we were explicitly told to keep grandchildren away from grandparents over 70 and to stay at home. Essential journeys were also clearly defined at the time (food shopping and pharmacy visits with some exceptions for key workers) and a 270 mile trip to be near family did not fall into any category.

It still doesn't explain why Cummings couldn't care for his wife and child at their London home. If his wife was that sick why did they decide that a 270 road trip was appropriate given her condition? If they continue to back him they are pretty much advocating flouting the rules as long as you can validate in your mind that what you are doing is essential and sensible.

Last edited:
This is exactly what will happen. A ceremonial theatre departure where he'll technically be removed from the payroll and then rehired as a consultant via a limited company. He wouldn't have been physically in No.10 for a while anyway.
Didn't that already happen in November?

Cumming's wife's version of events is available in front of a paywall here:

https://spectator.us/getting-corona...Su-1D2Pqc7lMJf0OG3qO1SoPTC4J77iiSIMZzgqqXXbu4

Also:

EYsLAXBXsAY0572

The Scottish Chief Medical Officer ending up resigning for visiting a second home which was vacant and 44 miles away from her main home. What Cummings has done is considerably worse in that he exposed his vulnerable parents to the virus by dropping his son on them not to mention travelling over 200 miles. It'll be an absolute scandal if he doesn't go. Cummings remaining in post also risks increased rule flouting (and the R rate going up) if the public take the view that it's one set of rules for Government officials and another for them.
To be fair whilst i agree with you, the BBC just called out Blackford for saying that the child was left with the grandparent, cause there is no indication that that is what happened, just that the second home was on the grandparents estate...

I do agree with you but that is an important part as well

Then he travelled to a second home for self isolation purposes which was and is expressly forbidden by rules for self isolation.

There is absolutely no part of this where Cummins comes up on top.

Also I'm not one to rag on the BBC usually but Kunnesberg in particular is just paroting no 10 spun on this one with no scrutiny. It's pretty bad TBH

Latest posts