• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Also my commute is walking a(3.5k there and 3.5I back) and be damned if that counts as my exercise.

Yeh, I'm a walker i do about 3-5km a day if I can on a good day. What are we gonna have police monitor how many times you've gone out to exercise or they'll demand to see the health app on your phone to see how many forms of exercise you've done and then issue an on the spot fine if you've been out twice? :rolleyes::confused:

I get that this is serious and has been, but this one form of exercise allowed is unenforceable in practical terms. Well until Martial law/Curfew is imposed and you have the army and police patrolling the streets and peeps only allowed out at certain hours.

It's nudge enforcement.

They will be expecting the herd to manage it's own. Those flouting the rules may well find themselves on the end of social media shaming (and possibly worse). The idea is to get a sizable number of folk to comply and they set this up a blinder. If the behaviourial scientists planned this, they are better than I gave them credit for (to be fair than was none). Declare limited measures and watch as the idiot public ignore them because the sun is out which creates the conditions for a significant number of the populace both abhorring the actions of the idiots whilst asking the Government to do more....... Here we are.

If this is ineffective they will have to move from nudging to hard enforcement. In the U.K. that will be very difficult to do without losing the public. However, if they seriously want the suppression plan to work it's an absolute requirement. I hope the measures they have announced buy the NHS some time. Boris was right about something. Left unchecked no health service in the world could deal with what would happen.

And what is considered exercise. My parents, who are in the 'at risk' category say they are still going to go out golfing as the course isn't closing (golfing with friends)

And what is considered exercise. My parents, who are in the 'at risk' category say they are still going to go out golfing as the course isn't closing (golfing with friends)
As a walk is listed golf must still be allowed.

With friends would be prohibited as you must exercise only with people in your household. Although apparently gatherings of two people are allowed so you can't exercise with a friend....

There's just no telling some people. Presumably they'd drive to the course? Well that's not "essential" is it? As Ncurd states they shouldn't be meeting with anybody from outside their household. Golf courses concentrate people, car parks, tee boxes etc. The government are trying to avoid that.

to be honest given the draconian nature of the measures I'd be amazed if the courses remain open beyond the first person mentioning that's what's happening.

Good luck. They may have to learn the hard way from plod and hopefully they'll heed his advice. It's after all for their direct benefit.

A golfer friend of mine is expecting individual tee offs at his club and it would severely limit numbers.

A golfer friend of mine is expecting individual tee offs at his club and it would severely limit numbers.

I like golf but I don't get this.

Just looking at the primary supply chain for a course. Do green keepers and maintenance staff count as "essential" workers? For everyone you have driving to a course you have their interactions with others e.g. fuel suppliers, the potential for breakdowns, accidents etc...That concentrates people which again the government are trying to avoid.

Which part of "you must stay at home" are people struggling with?

That said I'm not the rule maker and have no desire to police people.

So South Africa is going into lockdown on Thursday night at midnight for 21 days.

Luckily I'm properly stocked up, even if the shops will still be open for business.

I like golf but I don't get this.

Just looking at the primary supply chain for a course. Do green keepers and maintenance staff count as "essential" workers? For everyone you have driving to a course you have their interactions with others e.g. fuel suppliers, the potential for breakdowns, accidents etc...That concentrates people which again the government are trying to avoid.

Which part of "you must stay at home" are people struggling with?

That said I'm not the rule maker and have no desire to police people.
Official guidance says nothing about 'essebtial or key workers' so as green keepers and maintainence staff can't work from home their employers had every right to expect them to come in.

Astonishing that Sports Direct consider themselves an essential service and are planning to stay open. Some people are just beyond belief.

They've changed their mind apparently but that should never be forgotten.

By "changed their mind" I imagine a combination of being told and realising their shops might get damaged and the authorities might not do anything about it....

Just to close this one off. Looks like governing bodies have taken direction. Only source i could find and not sure if force of law applies.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/golf-courses-to-close-as-uk-steps-up-coronavirus-fight

Probably the right call. Golf courses are not immune from the virus spreading. People will need to touch flag poles and the virus is known to survive on metal surfaces. The more exceptions there are the more chance people will justify in their own minds making further exceptions.

Also my commute is walking a(3.5k there and 3.5I back) and be damned if that counts as my exercise.

I remember a professional trainer once said that if you walk briskly enough to make you sweat then it counts as exercise. So double your pace and you're all set.

Last edited:
I remember a professinal trainer once said that if you walk briskly enough to make you sweat then it counts as exercise. So double your pace and you're all set.
I just ran 10k at less than 5min/km

My problem is if the commute counts as an 'exercise' than the rozzers see me running and claim I've been out too often.

I just ran 10k at less than 5min/km

My problem is if the commute counts as an 'exercise' than the rozzers see me running and claim I've been out too often.

You need to buy yourself a false moustache and wig as a cunning disguise!

Latest posts