• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Where are all these police patrols coming from? I can't remember the last time I saw a police car in my village

I just ran 10k at less than 5min/km

My problem is if the commute counts as an 'exercise' than the rozzers see me running and claim I've been out too often.

A new reality TV show Exercise Cops. Stop running or you're under arrest.

Nobodies gonna police a village...
Gonna get super jacked going for three walks a day

I'm no big fan of gym shark but they're running a thing at the moment where personal trainers can get paid an hourly wage by them to host online exercise classes - pretty decent of them considering there's nothing from the government for the self employed (yet?).

Who exercises more than once a day? I suppose walkers.
A] Anyone with a dog
B] Anyone looking at 6 weeks+ being stuck indoors and going stir crazy

On a lighter note, I spoke to a Rec2Rec today (that's a recruiter who recruits recruiters), apparently she had more than one recently redundant recruitment consultant today ask in all seriousness if they counted as a "key worker". Some people's level of self-absorption is staggering.
I've a patient who works at the garden centre - her job has decided that she's a "key worker"

I remember a professional trainer once said that if you walk briskly enough to make you sweat then it counts as exercise. So double your pace and you're all set.
A normal enough walking pace (so not ambling, but... 3-4 mph) counts as "moderate exercise" - brisk walking (breaking a sweat) still counts as moderate - speed walking (wiggly bum stuff) probably counts as vigorous.
You want 150+ minutes a week of moderate exercise

I spent last week closing my business in stages; honouring existing appointments, but only allowing new ones for urgent care and NHS staff (then "key workers" once that became a phrase). Saturday morning, we cancelled all appointments already booked. Yesterday we've removed care for key workers / urgent cases - which still doesn't sit well with me (if I can keep key workers like nurses in work; or urgent cases who'd otherwise burden the NHS, then I think that's worth doing - and I'm technically allowed to, but only if I can source PPE that no-one can get hold of and is needed elsewhere)

Last edited:
So is there any educated guesses as to what the UK's measures will be in three weeks?

Will it be extended or liberties being drip fed back? The spread has been controlled better here but our healthcare system has worse capacity so I'm expecting lockdown to be announced today or tomorrow for 2-3 weeks and haven't a clue where it goes from there!

So is there any educated guesses as to what the UK's measures will be in three weeks?
Nothing educated all depend on hoe measures are doing in 2 weeks, plus general confusion over work today. Honestly extended but the end is just after Easter weekend so it'll be crunch point on compliance like Mother's Day was.

Some London tube carriages were packed this morning. A friend just sent me some photos. Some people blaming TFL for the reduced service which means carriages are still busy and there are most likely people still using public transport for non critical purposes.

Some London tube carriages were packed this morning. A friend just sent me some photos. Some people blaming TFL for the reduced service which means carriages are still busy and there are most likely people still using public transport for non critical purposes.
Yeah whoever decided to reduce services and close tube stations clearly didn't get the memo about social distancing. By all accounts touristy areas are empty but people forced to go into work are getting shoved in what little service there is as rush hours.

The hand in question having hopefully been washed thoroughly with soap and water and been serenaded with two verses of Happy Birthday.

I don't know if Priti Stupid knows all the lines to happy birthday.

The government needs to get a grip on it and start forcing the actual non-essential businesses to shut.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52017451

Anyone got their text yet? Supposedly the Government had way to bypass the networks 7 years ago and could have sent them within 15 mins of Bojo's announcing the lockdown, but chose not to implement it back in 2014. :mad:
Would of cost money, how much who knows in my first job way back 13 years ago they had built T-Mobile's SMS service backend. It was the only network who didn't go down on New Years Day (the minutes after midnight use to be the choke point). So for the government to build an Emergency text system, that works through all the mobile infrastructure and the PTSN bridges.....probably wasn't considered cost effective in comparison to use.

Would of cost money, how much who knows in my first job way back 13 years ago they had built T-Mobile's SMS service backend. It was the only network who didn't go down on New Years Day (the minutes after midnight use to be the choke point). So for the government to build an Emergency text system, that works through all the mobile infrastructure and the PTSN bridges.....probably wasn't considered cost effective in comparison to use.

yeah everything is easy to say with hindsight I suppose.

I heard on the news that 10-12 % of the 42 million + people here in California are projected to be infected with the coronvirus. I went to the supermarket today because I'm almost out of food and couldn't help but notice that maybe 5% of customers (including myself) were were wearing some sort of mask.

Last edited:

Latest posts