• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cheetahs and Kings to join "Pro 14"

I still believe if successful it could lead to a 2 tier comp like a Div 1 and Div 2 in few years.

My question is IF it's seen that Cheetahs and Kings are going well in this and doing well financially (as we all accept there is more money to be made in NH) would teams like Stormers, Bulls and Sharks say you "know what we can make a better fist financially and on the field playing in Europe" and lead to a new type of foundation in landscape of game

I still believe if successful it could lead to a 2 tier comp like a Div 1 and Div 2 in few years.

My question is IF it's seen that Cheetahs and Kings are going well in this and doing well financially (as we all accept there is more money to be made in NH) would teams like Stormers, Bulls and Sharks say you "know what we can make a better fist financially and on the field playing in Europe" and lead to a new type of foundation in landscape of game
If we allow them into European competition I could definitely see this happening, they're about even now but the old Heino cup was a much better spectacle than Super rugby if you ask me. I might be wrong but I think Saffas would appreciate the knockout aspect of it too.

If we allow them into European competition I could definitely see this happening, they're about even now but the old Heino cup was a much better spectacle than Super rugby if you ask me. I might be wrong but I think Saffas would appreciate the knockout aspect of it too.
Oh I definitely agree 100% with this.
It's no coincidence either from my experiences of working with Saffas here in Munster they buy in to our culture and the game here alot more than the Super Rugby environment.

I would love a two tier comp in the pro league i think it would be the best way to expand rugby in Europe as well.
Say drop Edinburgh, Dragons and the two Italian teams to a second division and replace them with the SA teams (No offence to those pro 12 teams).

Have a tier two of
Edinburgh, Dragons, Treviso, Rome, Georgian team, German team, Spainish team, Portugal, another Scotland team maybe even another welsh team with the focus on feeding players to the bigger franchises etc.

With a promotion/relegation play-off between the bottom of tier 1 and tier 2 or something.

and if it wasn't for Argentina, Super rugby could have a full table of Aus teams, NZ teams, Sunwolves and maybe a PI team in a similar format to the old super rugby.

I'd assume that the SA teams home games in the hottest months would be played in London (as suggested in the BBC article) or at night with a 7pm or 8pm kickoff time in SA.

If it meant a 24 game regular season, from a Leinster perspective, it frees up the possibility of an extra home game in Lansdowne Rd which could be very lucrative. Say Leinster v Ulster over the Christmas/New Year season?
The BBC says Allianz Park but Barnet council will only allow 16 games a year to be played there and no Friday games, so I highly doubt that will happen.

just part of professional rugby being so young... i'd imagine that we'll see a huge shifting in the structure of leagues in the upcoming years

just part of professional rugby being so young... i'd imagine that we'll see a huge shifting in the structure of leagues in the upcoming years

Would be surpised if the Prem changes, i could see the championship change though.

I wish more U20 type club comps would happen.

Would love to see a U20 European club comp.

Would be surpised if the Prem changes, i could see the championship change though.

I wish more U20 type club comps would happen.

Would love to see a U20 European club comp.
prem and top 14 are in positions of strength right now so i don't see them changing

i do think those two leagues will become home of the best players since that is where the money is, wouldn't be surprised if prem becomes an isles league at some point

i don't like the idea of just setting up teams in countries and expecting that to be their pipeline to improved international play

How will they split the conferences?
Geographically or merit based?

It is way too early to say, but I'd imagine having both teams from SA in the same conference would make sense from a logistics (touring both sides on one trip) and rivalry sense. The same applies to a lesser extent with Italy and Scotland.

Obviously, this is incompatible with conferences of 7 teams (as it stands) but I think the signs are clear that the ambition is for further teams to join in the future (SA, North America and continental Europe).

There will be 101 problems but I like that all parties have recognised the full extent to which disparities in TV money can destroy a competition. At least they are trying to do something about it.

prem and top 14 are in positions of strength right now so i don't see them changing

i do think those two leagues will become home of the best players since that is where the money is, wouldn't be surprised if prem becomes an isles league at some point

i don't like the idea of just setting up teams in countries and expecting that to be their pipeline to improved international play

I can't see the prem ever becoming an isles league the PRL clubs won't like the idea of having teams that are union driven (SRU or WRU), i could see the A league/Anglo welsh cup expanding to scotland.

I think rugby needs a gateway to introduce pro rugby to countries like Spain, Germany etc and a tier 2 league could do that IMO, Unlike the sunwolves and Jags going straight to Super rugby it should be more competitive for the teams which imo can allow for long term growth.

(Personally think Pro and Super rugby need to stay the hell away from USA and Canada rugby).

I can't see the prem ever becoming an isles league the PRL clubs won't like the idea of having teams that are union driven (SRU or WRU), i could see the A league/Anglo welsh cup expanding to scotland.

I think rugby needs a gateway to introduce pro rugby to countries like Spain, Germany etc and a tier 2 league could do that IMO, Unlike the sunwolves and Jags going straight to Super rugby it should be more competitive for the teams which imo can allow for long term growth.

(Personally think Pro and Super rugby need to stay the hell away from USA and Canada rugby).

good point about the clubs vs province although maybe things could change in terms of the ownership of the provinces or clubs pop up in those areas that wish to join premiership

it would be better for those countries to have strong domestic leagues and have 30 players playing in the top 14 or premiership then having their own team in the pro 12

you get better by competing for spots in the 23 with the best players monday-friday, not losing to them on saturday

good point about the clubs vs province although maybe things could change in terms of the ownership of the provinces or clubs pop up in those areas that wish to join premiership

it would be better for those countries to have strong domestic leagues and have 30 players playing in the top 14 or premiership then having their own team in the pro 12

you get better by competing for spots in the 23 with the best players monday-friday, not losing to them on saturday

Trouble is those unions don't have the money to start a domestic league like that and therefor ethose 30 players won't the platform to showcase there talents till a Rugby world cup happens.

more on point... this is going to last two years before people get sick of the travel

the only worse travel would be a team in anchorage being in the same league as buenos aires

Trouble is those unions don't have the money to start a domestic league like that and therefore those 30 players won't the platform to showcase there talents till a Rugby world cup happens.
there's other ways of doing that than having a pro 12 team

world rugby could invest in tier 2 european nations the same way they have invested in china and the challenge cup could invite more tier 2 clubs into the comp

having a second tier of the pro 12 just being a couple of welsh and scottish teams and a majority european teams would just be a year round 6 nations B tournament

Rumours I've read on Leinsterfans:

New competition will be called the Guinness Atlantic Rugby Championship. Conflicting reports on whether it'll be 2 conferences or a complete home and away programme. The new competition is buddying up to USA Rugby and Rugby Canada with financial support, the end game of which is unclear.

BT and Premiership Rugby pushed for a B&I League. Pro 12 said no.

Interesting times ahead. We could be about to see a huge shift in how the European leagues are structured.

Also saw the Atlantic Rugby name. Ambitions across the Atlantic. I read that there will be two conferences with the Irish split (Munster,Connacht & Ulster, Leinster). I have to think that's bull though because splitting up the Interpros is splitting the biggest spectacles and occasions in the league.
Either way change is a coming boys. Can't wait to see how this develops.

This will have a big impact on European rugby to regarding qualification and seedings

Latest posts