Cheetahs and Kings to join "Pro 14"

saulan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Seems there are a few more reports coming out that the Cheetahs at least are a done deal and the Kings likely to follow suit.

However last Sunday, Afrikaans newspaper Rapport indicated that SA Rugby and the Cheetahs had come to an agreement for them to exit Super Rugby and join the PRO12.

But when probed on the matter this week, the Cheetahs stood by their initial statement.

According to Netwerk24, a statement issued by the Cheetahs on Monday read: "The matter remains sub judice. No decision has been made. Any rumours regarding Super Rugby and the PRO12 are premature and unfounded. No further comment regarding this matter will be made."

However despite the Cheetahs' comments, Sport24 understands that their Super Rugby fate is sealed, along with that of the Port Elizabeth-based Kings.

Official announcements are expected to be made in due course, with both teams likely to join the PRO12 in what will then become the PRO14.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/cheetahs-kings-super-rugby-fate-sealed-20170613

Pro 12 guys, how do you feel about this?

I think it will be good for NH rugby in general. The SH teams have a different style and this can only be to everyone's benefit.

Well it'll certainly be interesting. Wonder if the SA teams will have their home games at home.

These aren't the best SR sides for sure but the Cheetahs have had a terrible time with injuries during SR and TBH the Kings have impressed in recent games (relative to very low expectations).

Could open up the door for SA to enter European rugby? It has its positives and negatives for all concerned. As is I actally wouldn't mind a bit of a shake up.

Well it'll certainly be interesting. Wonder if the SA teams will have their home games at home.

These aren't the best SR sides for sure but the Cheetahs have had a terrible time with injuries during SR and TBH the Kings have impressed in recent games (relative to very low expectations).

Could open up the door for SA to enter European rugby? It has its positives and negatives for all concerned. As is I actally wouldn't mind a bit of a shake up.
Australia already takes part in Eurovision, that's just another wee move to draw in SH countries to the northern Hemisphere, all part of a bigger masterplan to annihilate NZ rugby.

Cheetahs and Kings pretty much confirmed as joining for the new season starting this September. So much for me thinking this was a mere negotiating position.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40448854

Welcome aboard South Africa! Both sides are highly entertaining to watch and I expect them to be competitive out of the box which is what makes this expansion so promising (along with matching time zones).

It sounds like there is a lot to be finalised and that some SA home games may be played in London (which is disappointing). I'd have thought having the two clubs join would have made the economies of a SA tour more feasible.

I'll be interested to see it the Kings and Cheetahs keep their star players in the off-season.

It's rumoured that there's going to be a big increase in TV money. Not as much as England or France but the gap will be much narrower.

Welcome South Africa, the television coverage is crap, the beer doesn't suit a hot climate, the respect from other leagues is non-existent, you'll mistakenly be called Celtic but we'll have a lot of fun fuelled by an inferiority complex!

I'm cool with this. Will be nice to watch Munster whack some new teams. Glad to see the competition opening up a bit, and all of the developing nations don't yet have a team ready. Really not sure where these guys are likely to find themselves in the table despite having seen them play a few times. It's a tough one to call.

Makes things very interesting.

Wonder what it means for the European comps later on.

Really excited to see how this develops.

Rugby in Bloemfontein in December/January.... good luck with that

It is only like 2/3 degrees warmer on average than when Super Rugby kicks off. You do get freak hot days but quarterly drinks breaks make them totally feasible.

It'd be a pity if the likes of the Cheetahs didn't have home games. Their style is pretty much adapted to their location; hard, fast surfaces at altitude. They are a different team at home vs traveling- which they suck at.

I wonder what sort of slice of the cake they will get. Would be great if these teams could just keep hold of their better payers from year to year never mind getting lost talent or marques players in.

An interesting experiment either way. Will watch. I'll probably be following the Cheetahs.

It is only like 2/3 degrees warmer on average than when Super Rugby kicks off. You do get freak hot days but quarterly drinks breaks make them totally feasible.

It'd be a pity if the likes of the Cheetahs didn't have home games. Their style is pretty much adapted to their location; hard, fast surfaces at altitude. They are a different team at home vs traveling- which they suck at.

I wonder what sort of slice of the cake they will get. Would be great if these teams could just keep hold of their better payers from year to year never mind getting lost talent or marques players in.

An interesting experiment either way. Will watch. I'll probably be following the Cheetahs.
On the original plan it was that they play majority of the Dec/Jan games away as in tour for maybe a few weeks and then in return have large amount of games at home as teams "tour" for the 2 games. This makes sense to as no team will want to be travelling too far around European Cup games.

Latest posts