• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

British & Irish Lions Back Row

willrobinson

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Ospreys
I was wondering what you think would be the best back row for the upcoming tour of australia ?

Cause I personally find it very hard to pick a 6 and 8. i think 7 is guaranteed to Warburton, but if he is injured I think tipuric should be the 2nd choice as he is properly the second best openside. we have depending on how he acts in internationals as he lacks test match game time.

but 6 is hard.
0clip_image002.png

R.jones
D.Lydiate
S.ferris
D.Denton
C.Robshaw
T.Croft

I think Lydiate would be my first choice but i wouldn't know who to take as replacement as jones and denton are slightly more versatile but ferris and croft are great players to have and bring a hell of a lot.

and at 8
0clip_image004.png

T.Falatau
R.Jones
D.Denton
J.Heaslip
N.Easter

For me it would be Falatau with Heaslip in second choice.and again jones and denton there aswell.

****. I'd forgotten the inevitable naming of Faletau at 8.

Uuuuurrrrrrggggghhhh.

It's hard to name one this far out due to so many of the players being so injury prone.
Will Ferris make it? Will Warburton?

I'd go for (2nd choice in brackets):
6. Ferris (Lydiate)
7. Warburton (Tipuric)
8. Denton (Heaslip)

20. Jones (Robshaw)

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

I can see Denton playing the second test. and having a fantastic tour. The rivalry between 8 and 6 is going to be fantastic as Denton,Ferris,Lydiate,Heaslip and Jones are all fighting for 2 places.
I don't no to much about Heaslip as I very rarely see him play for either province or country.
same with faletau i only manage to see him for wales and he has a lot of big runs. not sure what else as with heaslip.
Denton had a fantastic season last year and will be interesting to see if he can carry that form on all year.
Ferris when fit is completely unstoppable and a huge player to have.
lydiate is a great defensive player and will get right in there faces.
Jones is a huge player but to me his versatility is his weakness as he is normally on the bench for wales because he can cover so many positions.(same with hook)
Dont really need to say much about warburton if he is fit he will play.
and I would pick Croft over Robshaw personally i just think he is a better player.

I think Ferris is the best 6 in NH. Lydiate is a good tackler but Ferris too, and he is a much better ball carrier than Dan.
The O'Brien of 2010 would be very close, but the O'Brian of 2011 is not worth consideration at all.
Warburton would be my 7, and Denton my 8.

I think Ferris is the best 6 in NH. Lydiate is a good tackler but Ferris too, and he is a much better ball carrier than Dan.
The O'Brien of 2010 would be very close, but the O'Brian of 2011 is not worth consideration at all.
Warburton would be my 7, and Denton my 8.

That'd be the O'Brien who was one of the stand out performers in the World Cup yes?

The same O'Brien who destroyed Richie McCaw on the floor when they met this summer?

The Same O'Brien who ritually has sex with whatever and whomever he pleases.

The same O'Brien who carved his home from a mountainside with nothing more than his fists doused in petrol.

The same O'Brien who has Biceps that resemble small hills

The same O'Brien that has and will destroy all before him.

Nay this Man we know as Sean O'Brien will be a Lion.

And he will rape and pillage all through Australia.

No guarantees Lydiate will make it at all after suffering a bad injury this weekend gone. If he's fit for the 6 Nations then he has a decent chance, but if not then I can't see them selecting him with no international gametime. It's a huge shame because he'd certainly be up there in contention to start, especially considering how influential his partnership with Warburton often is.

Hopefully Ferris makes it as well, he's a great, great player.

If O'Brien is played at 7 for Ireland again this season, then he might struggle. He's certainly improving as a 7, but for me he's behind Warburton, Tipuric and possibly Ross Rennie. I'm not too sure about Robshaw playing at 7 either.

At 8, I feel Faletau has got a lot of work ahead of him this season to make the tour. He was phenomenal at the WC, but has been a little quiet since, and mistakes have crept into his game. He's still a hard working player in the tight, but he needs to show that running flair again. He may benefit slightly from Lydiate being injured, because it almost guarantees him a starting spot in the big games for Wales, as his main rival is Ryan Jones who will now start at 6.

The other contenders for the Lions at 8 are Denton, Heaslip and Ben Morgan. After a slight dip in form, Heaslip is back close to his best, and I would probably go with him to start, but Denton is in with a genuine chance if his form continues this season. Ben Morgan might be a little too raw at present, and there are question marks over his workrate in the tight.

All in all it is all very tight. The AI's and 6 nations will reveal more. Some players may play themselves into a squad place, others may play themselves out.

The same O'Brien who destroyed Richie McCaw on the floor when they met this summer?

The Same O'Brien who ritually has sex with whatever and whomever he pleases.

The same O'Brien who carved his home from a mountainside with nothing more than his fists doused in petrol.

The same O'Brien who has Biceps that resemble small hills

The same O'Brien that has and will destroy all before him.

Nay this Man we know as Sean O'Brien will be a Lion.

And he will rape and pillage all through Australia.

How odd

I too favour Ferris-Warburton-Denton, but have mentally written off Warburton's ability to stay fit and pronounce it Ferris-Tipuric-Denton instead. O'Brien or Robshaw to bench. Probably O'Brien.

That is how thing stand for me.

id agree with ferris, warburton and denton and o brien as cover as he is the most adaptable to all positions... just not strong enough to hold down one at this presesnt time

I think regardless O'Brien will be the sub as he can cover all 3 positions fairly well. Dan and Ferris are amazing 6s, I don't know if I'm being biased but I genuinely think when Ferris is on his top form he is unstoppable. For 6 I think it's Ferris > Lydiate > O'Brien.

For 7 it's a no contest for Warburton, & for 8 I think Denton might get an edge over Faletau but I haven't seen him play much.

Considering Ferris is missing a knee, and Lydiate is near enough missing a foot at the moment....could we not tape the two together?

I think regardless O'Brien will be the sub as he can cover all 3 positions fairly well.

Ryan Jones makes a great option on the bench as well. Covers 4, 5, 6 and 8. That would open up the option of having imo the second best openside, Tipuric, on the bench as well.

There is an argument for both really.

Ryan Jones makes a great option on the bench as well. Covers 4, 5, 6 and 8. That would open up the option of having imo the second best openside, Tipuric, on the bench as well.

Aye I get where you're coming from but I don't see the point of having an out and out 7 aswell as Jones when O'Brien can do the same job - of course Tipuric will be better (at 7) if Waburton needs off but he cant cover any other positions can he?

I have a strong feeling this could happen ;)

6. Kvesic
7.Abbott
8. kvebott (a mixture of kvesic and abbott)

Considering Ferris is missing a knee, and Lydiate is near enough missing a foot at the moment....could we not tape the two together?

Like Frankenstein's monster only much better at clearing out at ruck-time

FrankenSix!

Not a bad option. Thing is - in the ordinary course of things, would people really bring off Warburton? If you're not planning on it, Tipuric's a waste of a sub's seat. If you are, is he the right man to captain? I don't wish to knock the idea, just explore the ramifications. Personally think both players deserve to be in with a shout and it would be a great configuration if that's what you want to do with 7. There are other options too; the Scots have some good 7s, and Kvesic is a potential bolter with a good wind, while Donnacha Ryan's been playing well and offers lock/6, and there are again some fine potential bolters such as Launchbury and Henderson. Can't Shingler cover 2nd row as well? Lawes is possibly a potential option here as well.

Latest posts