• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best place to buy tickets for Six Nations game: Wales v Scotland (12th Feb)

MichaelBoard

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Hi everyone, I'm trying to organise a trip for me and about 12 mates (maybe a few more, maybe a few less) up to Edinburgh to watch Wales play the Scots. I've found decent accommodation, I've even found reasonable flights (though its still a bit on the steep side!) but my only problem is I really don't want to pay over the odds for the tickets and more importantly I want to get them from a trustworthy and reputable site and I need all the seats to be together or at least near to each other. If there any Scots on here who know of any trustworthy places/websites/people who have this amount of tickets available then I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction please.

Many Thanks!

By the way I don't just want advice off Scots, any Welsh people who have gone up to Scotland to watch the game in previous or just generally anyone who can give me some advice who have travelled up there to watch their country.
Thanks

SRU website. Just checked and you can get 12 tickets in the upper east stand in either section 4 or 20 (both out near try lines but are only £50 rather than the £70 you'd pay to be one section further in). Section 4 it would be across rows y and z. Section 20 all in row y. The East Stand is the smaller one facing the main stand so you're close to the pitch (no running track) and it's generally a bit more noisy than the West Stand - especially near the corners - so atmosphere will be great. You could probably also get seats in the ends at £50 or in the corners for £30.

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/scottishrugby/details/event.aspx?itemref=2367 or phone 0844 335 3933

Cheers hiz thats a great help, I'll have a look now :D
One other thing I've made a few enquiries and managed to find luxury apartments for 12 people (2 apartments to room 6 each) at £99 per person for 2 nights which I think is reasonable and competitive compared to some places. Is there anywhere that you know of who offer cheaper accommodation than this or do you think that is quite a decent price?

Lastly I've found flights from Bristol (ideally would be better to fly from Cardiff) to GLASGOW and a return for something around £120 whereas flying directly from Cardiff to Edinburgh is something ridiculous like £250-£300. I was thinking about flying me and my mates to Glasgow and then getting a train from the airport straight to Edinburgh. Do you think this would be cheaper and how long roughly does it take to get from Glasgow to Edinburgh?

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Think £99 for 2 nights is probably as good as your going to get at this stage - I sofa surf when in Edinburgh so don't know much about the hotels, etc. to be honest. Could try some of the B&Bs around Haymarket/West End (lots of fans, lots of pubs and walking distance of both Murrayfield and city centre) but I think at this stage you may struggle to get enough rooms and the quality can be a bit hit or miss.

Trains from Paisley to Glasgow to Edinburgh and onwards however, I'm one of the world's leading experts on - you don't want to know how many hours I'm forced to spend rattling around on those things!

Glasgow airport is in Paisley - about 12 miles from the city centre. There is a bus link from the airport to Paisley Gilmour Street station and then trains into Glasgow Central station - usually every 10 mins or so and take 15 mins.

The trains from Glasgow Central to Edinburgh generally take longer so best to use the Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh service - runs every 15 mins and takes around an hour - costs £11 (which would be each way as there are only day returns available on this service not open ones). East Coast do run a quick service from Central to Edinburgh that costs £8 each way but runs only every 2 hours (15:50, 17:50 and 19:50 on Fri eve) so would depend on your timings (need to ask for an East Coast only ticket to get the cheaper price). There is a free bus (need to show them your train ticket) from Central to Queen St running until about 8.30 I think - although it's less than a 10 min walk and easy enough to find with plenty of pubs to make pitstops in along the way. It does work out a bit cheaper to buy your tickets separately for the Paisley to Glasgow stage and the Glasgow to Edinburgh stage (and I would NEVER encourage anyone to give Scotrail a penny more than need be - they do not deserve it!)

All that said, I would just get a cab into Glasgow from the airport - use a minicab rather than a black cab - they're half the price (£12 from Paisley to the city centre - maybe pound or two more from airport but rail fare would be £3 each anyway). http://www.renfrewshirecabco.co.uk/ are the biggest and fairly quick even if not pre-booked. Or there is a bus service from the airport to city centre, costs £7 for an open return so not really any cheaper than a cab.

If you flying to/from Glasgow, then you may want consider looking for accommodation there - think quite a few people do and you may find something cheaper at this stage than in Edinburgh. Trains from Edinburgh to Glasgow run half hourly later in the evening with the last one on Saturday's being at 11.30. It obviously won't have quite the same atmosphere as Edinburgh on Saturday night but Glasgow's still fairly good value for a night out if you wanted to continue on there - stick to Merchant City (mins walk from Queen St) or West End for the nicer venues.

Also - there's an appetizer for the match on offer in Glasgow on Friday night if you're in or passing through the city with the Blues playing the Warriors. I know they're not your team but should hopefully be a good crowd and a bit lively with plenty of visiting fans up. Firhill is about 10-15 mins walk up Maryhill Road from St George's Cross subway station. From the city centre, you'd either get the subway from Buchanan Street (adjoining Queen Street station) or St Enoch (near Central Station) - £2.40 for a return between any two stations. Cabs/hackney's from the city centre wouldn't be dear. Both Queen Street and Central have left luggage facilities if you needed them. Last train to Edinburgh is at 11.30.

Thanks alot, thats a great help. The Warriors - Blues game would definitely be a good idea. I'm going to have a look if there is any available accommodation in Glasgow instead.

Cheers but

No worries. If you decide to go to the Warriors match, then buy Anygame Vouchers from their site ahead of the day and you'll save yourself a fiver on the walk up price.

Enjoy the weekend (but not the scoreline! ;) )

I'm actually heading up for this match as well with a group of about 30 from my University's Welsh socity. It's £100 for 2 nights up there and a match ticket (I think anyway). As far as I know this is a deal for us, so I can ask the people who've organised it about where they've got it if you haven't already bought your tickets? Only difference would be the transport up there, we've got a bus from the Uni up there so that's a lot cheaper than usual. Can't wait for it though! I had a brilliant night out in Cardiff after the Wales - Scotland game and looking forward to doing the same up in Edinburgh!

I'm actually heading up for this match as well with a group of about 30 from my University's Welsh socity. It's £100 for 2 nights up there and a match ticket (I think anyway). As far as I know this is a deal for us, so I can ask the people who've organised it about where they've got it if you haven't already bought your tickets? Only difference would be the transport up there, we've got a bus from the Uni up there so that's a lot cheaper than usual. Can't wait for it though! I had a brilliant night out in Cardiff after the Wales - Scotland game and looking forward to doing the same up in Edinburgh!

Yeah if you could find out please mate that would be a great help cheers. Haven't booked anything yet but we are definitely still going, looking forward to it aswell, should be a great weekend!

Latest posts