• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bayonne Biiarritz Fusion

Well stop adding points that I have already made and I can stop, effectively, agreeing with myself!!

BOPB announced on its website that due to the continued uncertainty of the formation of a new club, it has decided to postpone the start of pre-season training by a week until 29th June!!

Very weird and can only presume, based on financial history, that wages have not been paid so players unlikely to commit so why bother?!!!!

Be helpful if they had expanded the statement to include reasoning!!!

if i am to understand correctly the first part of the fusion to be voted on the 26June is the fusion between the amatuer clubs of Bayonne and Biarritz, but not the Pro clubs hence maybe that is why training has been postponed by one week.Obviously if there is a fusion of the pro clubs under a new name eg. Basque XV, Bayonne and BO will reverse to amateur or semi pro status depending on which Championship they start in. It looks like it going to happen whether sooner or later!!!!!

If that is true, and it may well be, I am horrified that they are trying to merge the amateur clubs.

Certainly not the impression given by a chart on BO website recently and cannot understand why needed as they can act separately but be feeder clubs to a combined professional team!

As you say, there has to be and will be a pro team eventually but how can it survive in even pro d this season if it does not happen really soon?

[h=2]aS stated this morning in RUGBYRAMA
Manu Mérin explique ce vendredi soir le projet de fusion à la section amateur de l'Aviron Bayonnais qui doit se prononcer pour ou contre vendredi 26 juin lors d'un vote décisif. Pour cet oral important, le président bayonnais a reçu les renforts de Pierre Camou, président de la FFR, et de Jean Grenet, ancien maire de Bayonne et qui œuvre pour voir se concrétiser l'union.[/h]

no i dont think they are trying to merge the clubs as amateurs i may have mis led you a little i think they are trying to sort out the 2 clubs and how they would run as amateurs i probbly misused the word fusion, i think if they can come to some sort of agreement over what happens in the amateur world then the pro's could become a reality, but reading the above its as clear as smoke and i think we are a long way from the final decision, but as we have both said the only way forward to see TOP 14 rugby is to fuse the 2 clubs at Pro level

Well none of them could run a rugby club........other than into the ground.....so no surprise they are making a Horlicks of merger!!!

Make a bloody good film called, with apologies to the real one, "Comedy of Errors"!!!

Blnco throws all his toys outy of the pram!!!!!!!!! Apparently the fusion is dead and buried as Bayonne say NO and Blanco resigns, a complete shambles as Bayonne need to find 1 million € before the start of the season, i can see both clubs in the Federale divisions sooner than later, not good for the Basque region, maybe to late to swallow the pride and do something sensible BIG BIG MESS!!!!!!!!

Now you know what I think about Blanco but have to say I am delighted he has doe what he has as he really had no option! The vote was a vote of no confidence in him as he has been the champion of merger. Good for him!

I am also delighted that he has gone as that now creates a huge crisis in the club. This means they have to take a serious look at themselves amidst an almost certain relegation due to financial difficulties.

It is not a good decision and interestingly there was a majority in favour but not a big enough one to pass the necessary resolutions.

This who opposed it are small minded idiots who cannot see what a really bad situation they are in rugby wise. They almost certainly have no idea what to do now that Budda has gone......one wonders had he threatened resignation before the vote whether they would have voted as they did!

Sad day for the Basque Country and for French rugby. But......never say never!!!

Poor old Bayonne are in tatters having to find a guarantee for between one and two million euro AND a completely new squad. Those not already gone from last season's have all been told they can go although one wonders where as transfer window shut?

RATS, SINKING SHIPS, AND DESERTION order of the day in le Basque country, now Merin (Bayonne President ) has throw all his toys as well to join Blanco in a duel Presidents demission, empty prams everywhere, this is going from really bad to unbelievable low levels, as Bayonne need to find up to 2 million€'s more or less immediately, they could well be starting the season in Fed 1 once the DNACG ( the French accounting police know for their brutality) get their hands again on the Bayonne accounts not looking good for either Basque teams!!!!

Never in the field of rugby conflict have so many been let down by so few............

Never in the field of rugby conflict have so many been let down by so few............

The vote by the Biarritz club has been declared null and void due to unnamed irregularities and is to be held again!!!!

This is like the European Union treaty vote in Ireland.....keep voting until you get the result you want!!!!

Laughable if it were not so serious!!!

yes i noticed that this morning they're worse than politicians, what i dont understand is that the 2 clubs must realise that the way things stand at the moment neither have the finances or the ability to maintain as separate clubs in the Pro D2 never mind trying to gain promotion back in the TOP 14, complete shambles and they must now swallow their pride and vote for a fusion or is it confusion, or little top class rugby will be present in the Basque regions for a very long time.

yes i noticed that this morning they're worse than politicians, what i dont understand is that the 2 clubs must realise that the way things stand at the moment neither have the finances or the ability to maintain as separate clubs in the Pro D2 never mind trying to gain promotion back in the TOP 14, complete shambles and they must now swallow their pride and vote for a fusion or is it confusion, or little top class rugby will be present in the Basque regions for a very long time.

The trouble is that the majority of the members of whatever association have the right to vote are unlikely to have the financial or commercial knowledge of the reality and are voting with their hearts guided by years or supporting "their" club and, in the main, guided by, and to a massive degree driven by, an insane "hatred" of the other team and their supporters!

If they were sensible people who had been given the full facts and repercussions of voting "Non" (and there is no guarantee that they were knowing the incompetence of management and their belief in a divine right to be the management!!), then surely they, like everyone looking in, could see that survival is only possible with merger. However, there are supporters on BOPB Facebook who, luxuriating in the No vote, are happy to accept a two division relegation rather than work with Bayonne......they still do not get it that, even if that were the only thing to happen, BOPB would be bankrupt and no more!!!

They are partisan to the club even to the extent of not wanting the Basque Country to be a power in French rugby once more!!

Stupid but very sad that it may come to this, both clubs possibly playing in the Fed divisions and Basque rugby more or less disappearing in the very near future. well at pro level.

Yes, this is now degenerating into a farce and will be the death knoll of Basque rugby.

It's really crazy how much changed in French rugby in just a few years. If I think of the match the two teams played in San Sebastián and now this...

one more reason why good management from the business world is necessary in sport especially rugby, both Basque teams have has catastrophic management over the last few seasons and the results are now in front of everybodies eyes. Gone are the days when club rugby was run by people who were not pros and had little sense in business and management and of course tight control on the purse strings!!!!!