• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bayonne Biiarritz Fusion

Tony Manx

TRF Season Ticket Holder
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
It would appear that meetings have been taking place between Blanco (Biarritz) and Merin (Bayonne) about the probability of uniting the teams/clubs and the latter is reported to have spoken to the Bayonne players today............

As many people will be aware, I am all in favour of this as the two teams are just not big enough to compete at the highest levels of the Top 14 and I say this not jst because of Biarritz being relegated last year after years of struggle and the chance that Bayonne will be this year after years of struggle.

I do hope that any merger means that a sensible chief executive officer is brought in with the authority to bring in top class marketing and rugby directors who, in turn, have the unbridled aurthority to act without Blanco, for one, having any serious input! As he is likely to be off to the Presidency of the LNR soon, this should be the chance to get rid of him once and for all..............

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-1...-de-fusion-aux-joueurs_sto4724814/story.shtml

First of all it has to happen and that is no given!!!

What happens and who stays and who is in charge of the combined outfit, never mind which league they will be allowed to play in, are just a few of the multitude of hairy issues to be faced!!

But at least there may just be intent this time!!

There are extreme partisan fans in both clubs and also others in the towns who actually do not go to matches!

These guys want to stay separate even if it means playing in even lower divisions.

The most sensible ones, hopefully in the majority, see that it is inevitable that the professional teams, as opposed to the clubs which could recommence as amateur clubs, will merge or face bankruptcy!

Neither team are like Pau who have Total as a sponsor or Toulouse (Airbus) or Clermont (Michelin) etc. How on earth can teams compete on that basis and a combine outfit could attract such sponsorship!

Rugbyrama.fr today reporting that Phillipe Neys (ex president and shareholder in Bayonne) stating

1. Merin and Blanco have done the deal in private.

2. They wanted it kept private until the last game of the season.

3. He does not want it.

4. He "expects" (read is encouraging) demonstrations by the Bayonne fans at next two games.

5.it is wrapped up in some sort of share dealing aimed to allow Merin to stay in power!

Truth.....who knows!!

sounds like if they employ half of Neighbours and the half of Home and Away they could could have a new series that could last for many many years, sell it to channel 5 and make millions!!!!!!!!!! buy out the Fat One (Blanco) and employ Kevin Peterson and start a Cricket Frenzy in France, they would probably be French Champions come the first year. Most of the Basques have the kit already they just have to a abandon the red neckerchiefs.

If nothing else, the combined roster could be intriguing...

sounds like if they employ half of Neighbours and the half of Home and Away they could could have a new series that could last for many many years, sell it to channel 5 and make millions!!!!!!!!!! buy out the Fat One (Blanco) and employ Kevin Peterson and start a Cricket Frenzy in France, they would probably be French Champions come the first year. Most of the Basques have the kit already they just have to a abandon the red neckerchiefs.

What? Got rid of one fat egotist and employ another from a different game? You are having a laugh as usual.......something most people do not appreciate on this forum!!!!!

As for combining the two teams, I would find it hard to get a decent and challenging squad even if they kept all the players that each club has now!

Reckon, for me, it is the sack for all bar maybe 25 or so and then recruitment would be required which is getting late in the day for next season!

If the Basques want to stay in the elite they need to merge. In economic terms it makes sense, sporting wise it'll be another story...but I hope they merge and we have a strong basque team in the league. Besides there's nohting like a trip to the Basque country

It would appear that meetings have been taking place between Blanco (Biarritz) and Merin (Bayonne) about the probability of uniting the teams/clubs and the latter is reported to have spoken to the Bayonne players today............

As many people will be aware, I am all in favour of this as the two teams are just not big enough to compete at the highest levels of the Top 14 and I say this not jst because of Biarritz being relegated last year after years of struggle and the chance that Bayonne will be this year after years of struggle.

I do hope that any merger means that a sensible chief executive officer is brought in with the authority to bring in top class marketing and rugby directors who, in turn, have the unbridled aurthority to act without Blanco, for one, having any serious input! As he is likely to be off to the Presidency of the LNR soon, this should be the chance to get rid of him once and for all..............

http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-1...-de-fusion-aux-joueurs_sto4724814/story.shtml

I think you meant the presidency of FFr. As current vice president he is very much the No1 candidate to succeed to Camous. I think he will be the next president. It's obvious he is being groomed for the job. His involvement with the national team stems from that logic, not because he wants to save les Bleus.
And I don't think you'll be rid of him at Biarritz though. If there is a merger he is sure to find himself a role because he will be behind it if it happens so he will want his share in a big Basque club or more likely Basque province.

Last edited:
Apologies FFR it is!!

Blanco will always seek to be involved in anything because his ego is almost as big as his ass!!

I would be happy for him to be involved in a token role, if that is what it takes, such as President but in a figurehead rather than a managerial role.......after all he was one the finest and most loved French international!

Apologies FFR it is!!

Blanco will always seek to be involved in anything because his ego is almost as big as his ass!!

I would be happy for him to be involved in a token role, if that is what it takes, such as President but in a figurehead rather than a managerial role.......after all he was one the finest and most loved French international!

I knew what you meant. I think Blanco has got too many fingers in too many pies. I also think in spite of all his aura and influence he is off with the professional players he is dealing with. He is not reaching out to them in the way he thinks he is. Feedback here says he does not go down well with some senior internationals. Not surprising. I think he is a very poor man manager but a great politician. He is sure to get the Presidency job. There's no one else around to challenge him.

Last edited:
Unfortunatly for the 2 Basques teams survival is the order of the day but it will be increasingly difficult for both to survive Bayonne have been struggling for a faw seasons now and BO have found out just how difficult it is to gain promotion back into the elite, never mind even mentioning budgets, finance, etc. If Blanco is no longer present in a season or two as he will be elected more likely than not, he would have to cut all ties if he became President of the FFR as those are the rules for obvious reasons. I think that a fusion is necessary for the Basque country if they had 2 presidents from both clubs who could work together and form a team from both clubs i'm sure it would work, probably rocky to start with but its amazing how quickly people forget once a teams starts winning. They could still have 2 teams one eventually playing in the elite, and another in Fed 1 for example is that would be allowed, and could also use both grounds or sell one off for developement (not sure whether the clubs own their own stadiums??) surely it would be better for the Basque country to have one good team than 2 struggling to survive

Unfortunatly for the 2 Basques teams survival is the order of the day but it will be increasingly difficult for both to survive Bayonne have been struggling for a faw seasons now and BO have found out just how difficult it is to gain promotion back into the elite, never mind even mentioning budgets, finance, etc. If Blanco is no longer present in a season or two as he will be elected more likely than not, he would have to cut all ties if he became President of the FFR as those are the rules for obvious reasons. I think that a fusion is necessary for the Basque country if they had 2 presidents from both clubs who could work together and form a team from both clubs i'm sure it would work, probably rocky to start with but its amazing how quickly people forget once a teams starts winning. They could still have 2 teams one eventually playing in the elite, and another in Fed 1 for example is that would be allowed, and could also use both grounds or sell one off for developement (not sure whether the clubs own their own stadiums??) surely it would be better for the Basque country to have one good team than 2 struggling to survive

I knew what you meant. I think Blanco has got too many fingers in too many pies. I also think in spite of all his aura and influence he is off with the professional players he is dealing with. He is not reaching out to them in the way he thinks he is. Feedback here says he does not go down well with some senior internationals. Not surprising. I think he is a very poor man manager but a great politician. He is sure to get the Presidency job. There's no one else around to challenge him.

We are all in agreement.

Interestingly, I have seen little about the Biarritz supprorters and a lot of defiance from the Bayonne lads.....be interesting to see what happens at Jean Dauger next weekend!

My invite to the last home match was withdrawn as the demand was so high and it will be a sell out (that is the game not the fusion!!!)!

Sud Ouest reporting that the proposed Fusion is off again!!!!

"On Monday morning, Manuel Mérin (Bayonne President) gathered the press in Bayonne headquarters to announce discontinuation of merger with Biarritz Olympique.

"It seemed wise to have a discussion with Biarritz but today I prefer to stop the discusson.", He said, before adding: "There will be two professional entities in the Basque Country next season. ""

- - - Updated - - -

It would appear that Merin has met with a great many threats of physical violence against himself, his business and his employees and, in those circumstances, felt obliged to cancel the talks which had, apparently, been welcomed by business people.

It is also being reported, what we already knew, that the professional existence of at least Biarritz is in doubt following the loss of their sponsor Cap Gemini (and its owner who owned Grenoble also). Bayonne have also lost their sponsor Afflelou................The hope is that the two teams will play next season but the players and supporters will wait with bated breath to see what affect all this will have on vital season ticket sales at end of May for both clubs!!

Last edited:
I think things will be much clearer after Sat. if there are 2 Basque teams in the Pro D2 there is always more of a chance of a fusion than if Bayonne stay up. These threats to Merin are absolutely disgusting even his kids have been threatened at school, do the Basques think this is footie bal,l about time they grow up and take responsibility before there is nothing of importance sport wise left in the Basque country.

These threats to Merin are absolutely disgusting even his kids have been threatened at school, do the Basques think this is footie bal,l about time they grow up and take responsibility before there is nothing of importance sport wise left in the Basque country.

Could not agree more.....it is dreadful but follows such stupidity as Denis Avril having to find a new doctor for his family when he moved between the clubs and he must have been an educated man!

Unfortunately for both clubs, in the long run, it is Brive that will go down not Bayonne!!!

Well well well, looks like Nessie was back... again.
I really can't see where is the interest for Bayonne to merge with Biarritz. Look the Bigorre, with great clubs like Tarbes, Lannemezan, Lourdes. Do we bother them with killing a century of history, passion, and social link between generations and social class? Are they serious when they say we can reach the top of TOP14 with a 23M budget?! Only 5 more than Bayonne last year budget? It's only that our board does not do his job seriously (damn we've signed Louis Strydom thanks to YOUTUBE, yes youtube!!!).
This fusion is only politic: Bayonne and Biarritz are in the strongest comitee in FFR, Côte Basque Landes (where Camou and Blanco come from...), after Ile de France. Blanco wants to be FFR President, he's already the sport-side reaper of BO, if journalist are correct, Biarritz will be in Federale next year: Blanco would be the financial reaper of BO too. How could he contend for FFR presidency after that. We have a Dassault factory here, Safran too. And Suez environment will be our main sponsor of our last game. We'll only need to be patient...

There is only one fusion who appear to have succeded: Bordeaux. It happened when no one gave a **** (yes, a ****) of rugby there: I spent one season in Moga, my ass on the sit reserved to one of Moga's son!! From here, even the Neath-Swansea merging looks like quite a failure when we look an empty Liberty Stadium...

There is one only way to keep playing in top14 with less money: formation. And we're lucky, we could make a "national" team than could contend with Italy according to me. Even kiwis are absolutely astonished of the importance of rugby here. We have the starting of a golden generation here with: Etrillard, Ollivon, Sayerse, Duhalde, Loustalot, Otazo, Gayraud, Elissalde, Gravier and they cost nothing...

Aviron Bayonnais is like the St Mary Cathedral, the Fetes de Bayonne or the Citadel for us. A part of our city, a part of everyone of us. Like OM in Marseille, or SSC Napoli in Napoli. So please, let us leave, cheer, cry our sweet Aviron.
I'll end with Merin's press conference, you'd look the entire video. 75% of the time he blames journalists for releasing lies, following him at work, at home. Stalking employees of the club... And of course, I can't tolerate dumbasses threating his familly...

i do not think anyone in France is disputing the fact that 2 basques teams are good for the TOP 14 and rugby in General as i said previously if Bayone go down will the support be the same for both teams and then there is also the finacial side of things when was the last time that a possibility of BO and Bayonne in the Pro D2 a long time ago i reckon, but if Bayonne do stay up and there is a good chance then i'm sure the fusion will never happen. but i do understand the passion that both supporters have for their teams i have been several times and know exactly what its all about. I think the only reason that this fusion idea keeps popping up is that most and i think as usual it's the press lighting the fires, they are all saying both teams will not survive if they are both in the Pro D2.
You only have to look what the press wrote yesterday, Jake White Montpellier's coach is apply for the job as Frances new coach, when in fact he was with Shaun Sowerby who was at Marcoussis to recieve his French coaching diplomas. nothing more nothing less so dont be surprised if they get plenty of coverage when there is maybe nothing there to cover, a liitle like Midol if you don't know, invent it, and if its wrong apologise the following week!!!!! I deal with the press all the time and they are a nightmare.!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts