England
Club or Nation
Sale
Tks2oWS.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
FIWAFUA.png

1st June, 19:30 (Local), 12:30 (UK)
Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong

It's finally here! can't wait should be a good match to, Ba Ba's got some strong players. It's pretty important the Lions get off with a win IMo and with such good opposition it makes it even tougher.

It's finally (almost) here!

Looking forward to this, despite the poor showing from Baabaas on the weekend.
I imagine most of their "cavalry" will come straight into the side, as well as Evans. Interested to see what they do with Manoa - on current form he just has to start, but where? Maybe instead of Jim Hamilton?
I'd go with:
James, Ghiraldini, Castro
Manoa, Wentzel
Zanni, Louw, Parrisse,
Fotuali'i, Evans,
Ngwenya, Hook, Laulala, Rockocoko,
Daly

Brits, Botha, Johnstone, Hamilton, Harinordoquy, Yachvili, Payne, Varty

I think the Lions will play an "experimental" side to test out a few players (namely Youngs and Stevens)

Something like:
Healy, Youngs, Stevens,
AWJ, Evans,
Lydiate, Warburton (c), Heaslip
Murray, Farrell,
Maitland, Davies, Tuilagi, Cuthbert,
Hogg

Hibbard, Vunipola, Jones, O'Connell, Tipuric, Phillips, Sexton, Halfpenny
Though maybe Gatland will have the finals on his mind and rest as many Tigers/Leinster/Ulster as he can?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tuilagi tried at 12, with an eye on him and BOD being centre partners later in the tour.

Thinking about it, we expect the lions to win this automatically but on second thoughts, the lions are just as much a composite side as the barbarians are, which for me makes this a 50/50 game.

From Olyys team, I'd give the Baa baas the edge in the back-row, a major advantage at half-back, and the lions a bit of an advantage on the bench. A lions win is important, but we shouldn't expect it.

I think the Lions will play an "experimental" side to test out a few players (namely Youngs and Stevens)

Something like:
Healy, Youngs, Stevens,
AWJ, Evans,
Lydiate, Warburton (c), Heaslip
Murray, Farrell,
Maitland, Davies, Tuilagi, Cuthbert,
Hogg

Hibbard, Vunipola, Jones, O'Connell, Tipuric, Phillips, Sexton, Halfpenny
Though maybe Gatland will have the finals on his mind and rest as many Tigers/Leinster/Ulster as he can?

Lions aren't starting players who played in the Premiership/Pro 12 finals for this game apparently.

Starting selection from this apparently.

Full-back: Leigh Halfpenny or Stuart Hogg
Wings: George North/Alex Cuthbert/Sean Maitland
Centres: Jamie Roberts and Jonathan Davies
Fly-half: Owen Farrell
Scrum-half: Mike Phillips/Conor Murray
Loose-head prop: Mako Vunipola
Hooker: Richard Hibbard
Tight-head prop: Adam Jones/Matt Stevens
Locks: Alun Wyn Jones/Paul O’Connell/Richie Gray/Ian Evans
Blind-side flanker: Dan Lydiate
No.8: Toby Faletau
Open-side flanker: Sam Warburton/Justin Tipuric

Lions aren't starting players who played in the Premiership/Pro 12 finals for this game apparently.

Starting selection from this apparently.

Full-back: Leigh Halfpenny or Stuart Hogg
Wings: George North/Alex Cuthbert/Sean Maitland
Centres: Jamie Roberts and Jonathan Davies
Fly-half: Owen Farrell
Scrum-half: Mike Phillips/Conor Murray
Loose-head prop: Mako Vunipola
Hooker: Richard Hibbard
Tight-head prop: Adam Jones/Matt Stevens
Locks: Alun Wyn Jones/Paul O’Connell/Richie Gray/Ian Evans
Blind-side flanker: Dan Lydiate
No.8: Toby Faletau
Open-side flanker: Sam Warburton/Justin Tipuric

Fair enough! Team pretty much writes itself in a lot of positions.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Wooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooo.

Pretty sure they said Hogg will get a run at 10 in this btw.

I think Hogg will be in the 21 jersey and Kearney in 23 as he didn't play last weekend, I imagine the team will look like:

1. Vunipola
2. Hibbard
3. A.Jones
4. AWJ
5. POC
6. Lydiate
7. Warbuton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Philips or Murray really not a whole lot different
10. Farrell
11. Maitland
12. Roberts
13. Davis
14. North
15. Halfpenny

A number of these could vary but I think thats pretty much what we'll see.

They should be significantly more cohesive in attack than they were against England.
They improved quite a bit once Hook and Peel went off.

Is Kearney a possibility for selection?
Also presumes a prop from either Healy or Cole will be on bench along with Best or Youngs. So basically he may play 1 or 2 who played domestic finals

On behalf of england we are so so sorry to inflict Farrell upon the lions 10 shirt. If only he had a scottish grandparent or something

Gethin flew out with them today,
Jonny...Wilkinson? He isn't in the squad.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I just saw on SSN that gethin Jenkins is injured and won't play vs baabaas anyway . And could miss first part of the tour not sure how many games they mean by this tho

Someone text Gatland Corbisiero's number! :D

Wonder who would be next in line as loosehead - the press would like to say Sheridan, but I can't see it.
Maybe Paul James? He's been "rested" by Wales, which suggests (to me) he's been told to keep his summer free.

Someone text Gatland Corbisiero's number! :D

Wonder who would be next in line as loosehead - the press would like to say Sheridan, but I can't see it.
Maybe Paul James? He's been "rested" by Wales, which suggests (to me) he's been told to keep his summer free.

I was thinking about this the other night too: this is the waiting line as I see it:

1) James + Corbisiero, who is coming back into form with regular gametime
2) Reckon its got to be one of the Welsh boys, probably Owens, or Ford perhaps.
3) I think Ross and Wilson must be on equal footing here, even though Ross is of a higher profile. Wilsons a good scrummager, and whilst Ross does the job, he pops a la hartley.
4/5) I reckon Ryan, Launchbury and Lawes might all be in contention equally. Hines should of been there from the beginning but the fact that he wasn't suggests that this is a a policy issue.
6/7) Unless injury rules him out, it's got to be robshaw. After him, I'd say Ryan Jones and Kelly Brown are neck and neck. Tom Wood possibly just a bit behind.
8) Ben Morgan. Recent selection suggests Gatland isn't a Delve Fan, which makes this rather simple imo.
9) I'd have said Care must be next along, but then I'm reminded of Laidlaws versatility with both 9 and 10, and we only have two 10's, one of whom is pants. Blair is in with a shout. Reddan even further behind.
10) Umm...? It'd have to be Biggar, not a bad player by any means. Hard one though, because Burns is coming through strongly, and its not as if Biggar is massively more experienced than Burns, not at itnernational level anyway. Madigan is a very outside bet.
11/14) Visser is the obvious choice, unlikely to be pipped by Maitland. I'd say Zebo is just behind him in line. After that, Gatland may just be tempted by a guy like Wade who clearly has talent. Gilroy is another possibility.
12) I'd say Twelvetrees, who has really been impressive since debuting for england. I don't think Gatland is a brutal pragmatist, so I dont think he'd ever go for Barritt just because he offers security. Oh, also Anthony Allen has made a recent push and had a great game in the final.I'd say Beck was a leading contender but I think he;s injured? Madigan, Wallace?
13) There's noone. I mean, seriously. I think Gatland would genuinely consider Earls because he CAN* play multiple positions
15) I think Foden must be on the cusp. Tait has also come back into form and has shown feet the likes of which most 15's can only dream of.

* By which I mean cannot

I'm aware that most of these guys are English, but then in fairness I reckon that most of the guys who JUST missed out were english. so don't shoot me.

You forgot wilko at 10 ;)
Madigan would be fairly high up for 10 and 12 I think - been playing very well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Team: 15 Jared Payne 14 Joe Rokocoko 13 Elliot Daly 12 Casey Laulala 11 Takudzwa Ngwenya 10 Nick Evans 9 Dimitri Yachvili 1 Paul James 2 Schalk Brits 3 Martin Castrogiovanni 4 Marco Wentzel 5 Dean Mumm 6 Samu Manoa 7 Sam Jones 8 Sergio Parisse (captain)

Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini 17 Duncan Jones 18 Andrea Lo Cicero 19 Jim Hamilton 20 Imanol Harinordoquy 21 Kahn Fotuali'i 22 James Hook 23 Mike Tindall

Latest posts