• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks V Wallabies, Hong Kong, October 30th

Shaggy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Not sure if this thread will be in the right place, but I guess it's technically an Autumn international, as it's being played in the Northern Hemisphere/Hong Kong ... anyway, if it's in the wrong place, i'm happy for it to be moved :)

... OK, now that both squads have been named by Messers Deans and Henry, who will be in the respective starting line ups, who's going to win, and by how much

I'm not really down with who is fit in the Wallabies squad, but would like to see Rod Davies start or appear off the bench.

I think the All Blacks will win by 7? ... don't really care how many ... a win's a win :D

Here is my pick for the AB's team based on the rumour? that Sivivatu and Hore won't be available for this match

1/ Tony Woodcock
2/ Keven Mealamu
3/ Owen Franks
4/ Brad Thorn
5/ Tom Donnelly
6/ Jerome Kaino
7/ Ritchie Macaw
8/ Keiran Read
9/ Jimmy Cowan
10/ Dan Carter
11/ Hosea Gear
12/ Ma'a Nonu
13/ Conrad Smith
14/ Cory Jane
15/ Mils Muliaina

16/ Hika Elliot
17/ Ben Franks
18/ Sam Whitelock
19/ Daniel Braid
20/ Alby Mathewson
21/ Stephen Donald
22/ Sonny-Bill Williams

I am picking that all of the bench will see significant game time, with maybe Macaw moving to blindside when Braid comes on, and Nonu maybe covering the wing if there's an injury during the match.

I agree with all except Woodcock.. I'd say he'd be on the bench and Owen will be at 1 and Ben at 3

It's in the right place, don't worry :p

I'm really not sure with this,
I think the ABs will win it, but the break in matches may have stalled their momentum (hopefully at least :lol: )
Aus looked a class act towards the end of the 3N, and neither team will have a home advantage,
Will be a good match either way, but i agree with you, NZ by a small margin is my guess

I reckon we're gonna thrash the Aussies by 12+

I pretty much agree with the team you suggested Shaggy. There is also the possibility that Dan Carter may not be fully fit for the match - if that is the case, Donald will start and either Cruden or Slade are likely to fly over to sit on the bench.

I agree entirely with the starting forward pack you suggested. On the bench, Afoa may possibly be selected in place of Ben Franks, as he seems to be considered a better impact player - it's probably a 50/50 call though. I'm hoping they do play Braid off the bench, but they may also consider playing Messem instead.

In the backs, I'd be surprised if Hosea Gear starts ahead of Rococoko. I also reckon that Toeava is much more likely to start of the bench than SBW, as he provides much better cover for the outside backs (I don't have any faith in SBW or Nonu on the wing at test level).

I agree with all except Woodcock.. I'd say he'd be on the bench and Owen will be at 1 and Ben at 3
If the Franks brothers do start, Owen will be at tighthead (3), with Ben on the loosehead (1). Personally I can't see it happening though, as Ben Franks has struggled at scrum time for the AB's this year (the rest of his play has been solid though).

Last edited:
If Carter starts for the AB's then they will most likely win, however if he doesn't then Australia will have the best chance to finally beat New Zealand

I pretty much agree with the team you suggested Shaggy. There is also the possibility that Dan Carter may not be fully fit for the match - if that is the case, Donald will start and either Cruden or Slade are likely to fly to sit on the bench.

I agree entirely with the starting forward pack you suggested. On the bench, Afoa may possibly be selected in place of Ben Franks, as he seems to be considered a better impact player - it's probably a 50/50 call though. I'm hoping they do play Braid off the bench, but they may also consider playing Messem instead.

In the backs, I'd be surprised if Hosea Gear starts ahead of Rococoko. I also reckon that Toeava is much more likely to start of the bench than SBW, as he provides much better cover for the outside backs (I don't have any faith in SBW or Nonu on the wing at test level).

If the Franks brothers do start, Owen will be at tighthead (3), with Ben on the loosehead (1). Personally I can't see it happening though, as Ben Franks has struggled at scrum time for the AB's this year (the rest of his play has been solid though).

I must admit i'd contemplated Messam for Braid, Afoa for Ben Franks, Rococoko for Gear, and Toeava for SBW ... Rococoko is the incumbent, and the other three cover more positions, but I was thinking they will probably try Gear, SBW sooner rather than later on the tour ... anyway, hopefully they'll all get a fair go on tour :D

Actually on second thought, as much of an impact Gear could make over Rokocoko, the coaches have always showed interest in Joe and they have alot of faith in him... So picking Rokocoko over Gear could actually come about, especially with this being our toughest test of the end of year tour.
SBW will be used in all 5 games IMO... simply because the coaches know that he needs as much game time at International level as he can get,.. and he doesn't have much from now until the World Cup.... I'd say he'd be benched for Wallabies and England and start the other tests

I think its going to be another close game but Im gonna go with the All Blacks to win 28-21.

I pretty much agree with the team you suggested Shaggy. There is also the possibility that Dan Carter may not be fully fit for the match - if that is the case, Donald will start and either Cruden or Slade are likely to fly to sit on the bench.

Neither Cruden or Slade are even in the squad, unless their has been some development that I haven't heard about

Nah, Graham Henry said that if Carter isn't fit that he would fly one of the fly halves to Hong Kong for the test

Neither Cruden or Slade are even in the squad, unless their has been some development that I haven't heard about
Indeed neither are in the squad at this stage. But, as Dizzy stated, Henry has indicated that he will likely fly one of these two over to Hong Kong to back up Donald if Carter is not fully fit in time.

The AB's will win this, even if Donald starts. The wobblies had their chance this year.

I think ice will most likely be on the bench ahead of SBW and Rococoko ahead of Gear

Nah, Graham Henry said that if Carter isn't fit that he would fly one of the fly halves to Hong Kong for the test

What if Carter can't play, and...

► Donald starts, has a mare
► All Blacks down by 0-12 at half-time
► Ted subs Slade/Cruden on for Donald in the break
► Slade/Cruden scores two tries, sets up three others, converts them all from wide out and kicks two penalties and a dropped goal to boot
► All Blacks win by 44-12

How embarrassing would that be for Ted & Co.

What if Carter can't play, and...

Donald scores ninety points, breaking numerous records in the process?

I don't mind who wins it as long as it's a good game im going to be there so i want to see lot's of trys.

I see the donald haters are out in force again, been a bit quite since sunday...

Interesting on the News last night even Cruden said Donald was in good form and outplayed him. I hope Don has a cracker, reality is he's actually always played well against Aussie and played a few match winning performances against them too, I think he was on the bench for the last loss in 2008 but I dont know if he got on the field.

Hard to predict this game. Aussie have spent more time in preperation and both sides will be rested. I think the Loss of weepu will be a factor, I really hope mathewson gets a good run. It's been too long since Cowan had any realy +ve impact on a game I find it hard to believe that he will have the goods but at the same time I hope he does finally find his damn mojo.

Though in the end I think the Rested All Black forwards will have to much for the Aussies. The likes of Read, McCaw, Donnely & Mealamu they will be pretty fresh. All looked a bit tired towards the end of the tri nations - they should be good now though.

1, Woody - he will lift for Australia
2, Mealamu
3, Franks
4, Thorn
5, Donnely
6, Kaino
7, McCaw
8, Read
9, Cowan
10, Carter
11, Rokocoko
12, nonu
13, Smith
14, Jane
15, Mills

Pretty much the side that won the tri nations, bench is where it looks fresh.
16, Elliot
17, Ben Franks
18, Whitelock (though I'd go for Boric)
19, Messam
20, Mathewson
21, Beaver
22, Toeava

Shame both Dagg & Kahui are injured, seen really good impact from the 22 jersey this year from them. Toeava's chance to keep that going.

I'm pretty sure carter's ancle is good now it will really just come down to fitness. My guess is he will start for sure though I dont think we will see too much of his running game.

The aisian games that have been played have been quite messy, may be to do with the fact that it's such an important game to start a tour and a lot of the players have had a rest from playing.

Latest posts