• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks V Wallabies, Hong Kong, October 30th

Larksea, Invictus and other "Beaver" Boys

If he ends up on the park, I'll be 100% behind him.

IMO opinion he should not be there, but he is so its done and dusted. He's wearing Black so he will have my support.

I don't know about the AB optimism...

Australia look good, and the ABs didn't play Australia with Quade Cooper in the line-up for a couple of games this year. I think he could make a difference.
I have a bad feeling the ABs will go into this one under-done and get rolled - thus blowing the unbeaten streak and perfect season.

Being a hardcore AB fan, I hope i'm wrong though!

I don't know about the AB optimism...

Australia look good, and the ABs didn't play Australia with Quade Cooper in the line-up for a couple of games this year. I think he could make a difference.
I have a bad feeling the ABs will go into this one under-done and get rolled - thus blowing the unbeaten streak and perfect season.

AB's beat Wallabies when they played Copper, and we had Cruden instead of Carter. I'm not saying we will definetly win, but I'm certainly giving the AB's the favourite tag.

I think so.

The question I have is, what rugby have the Wallabies been playing since the end of the Tri Nations... Shute Shield perhaps. Pretty sure I heard somewhere that Rocky Elsom, Lachie Turner and Curtly Beale turned out for Randwick this year, and Berrick Barnes for University. What about others?

There have been a few All Blacks playing in the ITM Cup, which is still going, and which is a higher level competition than Shute Shield that finished back in the first weekend of October. Perhaps it will be the Aussies that are underdone. Hard to say without knowing just how much rugby the Wallabies players have been playing.

I think so.

The question I have is, what rugby have the Wallabies been playing since the end of the Tri Nations... Shute Shield perhaps. Pretty sure I heard somewhere that Rocky Elsom, Lachie Turner and Curtly Beale turned out for Randwick this year, and Berrick Barnes for University. What about others?

There have been a few All Blacks playing in the ITM Cup, which is still going, and which is a higher level competition than Shute Shield that finished back in the first weekend of October. Perhaps it will be the Aussies that are underdone. Hard to say without knowing just how much rugby the Wallabies players have been playing.

The Wallabies squad has a few from the commonwealth sevens squad, but I guess these players are unlikely to be selected for this match.

As long as Carter's fit the AB's will win by less than 7, if not then Aussie would have to be considered the favourites. Without Weepu and Carter it would mean they would have no strong playmakers...
I really hope that Donald's form follows him into this test. It would be great to see him really step up. Also i'm looking forward to seeing Mathewson get some game time. he's been in great form lately.

1-Woodcock
2-Mealamu
3-Franks
4-Thorn
5-Donnely
6-Kaino
7-McCaw
8-Read
9-Cowan
10-Carter - hopefully... otherwise Donald will start with Cruden on the bench.
11-Rokocoko (Sivivatu) - would be kool to give Gear a start.
12-Nonu
13-Smith
14-Jane
15-Muliaina

16-Elliot (Hore)
17-Franks
18-Whitelock
19-Messam
20-Mathewson
21-Donald
22-Toeava

Not sure if Carter, Sivivatu or Hore will be available or not

As long as Carter's fit the AB's will win by less than 7, if not then Aussie would have to be considered the favourites. Without Weepu and Carter it would mean they would have no strong playmakers...
I really hope that Donald's form follows him into this test. It would be great to see him really step up. Also i'm looking forward to seeing Mathewson get some game time. he's been in great form lately.

1-Woodcock
2-Mealamu
3-Franks
4-Thorn
5-Donnely
6-Kaino
7-McCaw
8-Read
9-Cowan
10-Carter - hopefully... otherwise Donald will start with Cruden on the bench.
11-Rokocoko (Sivivatu) - would be kool to give Gear a start.
12-Nonu
13-Smith
14-Jane
15-Muliaina

16-Elliot (Hore)
17-Franks
18-Whitelock
19-Messam
20-Mathewson
21-Donald
22-Toeava

Not sure if Carter, Sivivatu or Hore will be available or not

Huh? What on earth are you talking about? There was no Carter in the last test, and Donald is a play maker (not an especially good one, but an alright one).

Donald has not convinced me or the majority of people (judging by a poll on stuff.co.nz) that he deserves this shot. If he is on the field i hope he plays well but I'm not confident about it. Please just let DC's ankle be sweet for 60mins or long enough for us to get a big enough lead that even donald can't screw up.

Huh? What on earth are you talking about? There was no Carter in the last test, and Donald is a play maker (not an especially good one, but an alright one).

Yeah, there was no Carter but they had Weepu... lets face it he ran that game for the AB's. Cruden didn't seem up to the task.
I know that Donald is a playmaker but as you said "not an especially good one"

In some Wallaby team news: Apparently Rod Davies has been training with the run-on Wallaby XV, so may start on the left wing ahead of Turner or Mitchell (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/4262600/Confident-Wallaby-predicts-win-over-All-Blacks ). Personally I would start Turner, as I rate him very highly, but it will be interesting to see how Davies goes if he does start, as he is extremely fast and looks to be a very talented young player.
I would love to see what Davies is capable of to be honest.

If the Wallabies do the simple stuff right i predict we will win by 6. As pointed out though our players have been playing in a much lower competition and may be a bit underdone. looking forward to it though as it was in the same circumstances two years ago when we almost won!! you have to be optimistic to be a wallaby supporter.
i would like to see this side on the park:

15 K Beale
14 J O'Connor
13 AA Cooper
12 M Giteau
11 R Davies/ Turner
10 Q Cooper
9 W Genia
8 B McCalman
7 D Pocock
6 R Elsom (c)
5 N Sharpe
4 V Humphreys
3 B Alexander
2 S Moore
1 B Robinson

16 M Hodgson
17 S Higginbotham
18 M Chisholm
19 S Faingaa
20 S Ma'afu
21 L Burgess
22 B Barnes

7/2 bench. Or remove Higginbotham and add in mitchell or hynes.
We really lack a big 13.
would love to see polota nau, horwill, palu and Ionie back. That being said this could be the best side that we have had all year.

Last edited:
If the Wallabies do the simple stuff right i predict we will win by 6. As pointed out though our players have been playing in a much lower competition and may be a bit underdone. looking forward to it though as it was in the same circumstances two years ago when we almost won!! you have to be optimistic to be a wallaby supporter.
i would like to see this side on the park:

15 K Beale
14 J O'Connor
13 AA Cooper
12 M Giteau
11 R Davies/ Turner
10 Q Cooper
9 W Genia
8 B McCalman
7 D Pocock
6 R Elsom (c)
5 N Sharpe
4 V Humphreys
3 B Alexander
2 S Moore
1 B Robinson

16 M Hodgson
17 S Higginbotham
18 M Chisholm
19 S Faingaa
20 S Ma'afu
21 L Burgess
22 B Barnes

7/2 bench. Or remove Higginbotham and add in mitchell or hynes.
We really lack a big 13.
would love to see polota nau, horwill, palu and Ionie back. That being said this could be the best side that we have had all year.

It's a strong line up, but would like to see Davies and Hynes on the wings - I think the Wallabies will "almost win" again :p

SBW will be used in all 5 games IMO... simply because the coaches know that he needs as much game time at International level as he can get,.. and he doesn't have much from now until the World Cup.... I'd say he'd be benched for Wallabies and England and start the other tests

You think SBW will get a start? The guy hasn't even played super rugby yet and that would mean removing Nonu who is one of the best 12's on the international sceen. I agree he needs game time but I think you are getting a bit carried away here. I can't see him getting a start. 5-10 minutes at the end of a game here and there if the All Blacks have a decent lead.

I hope he will get a start against Scotland or Wales, Henry has said they will be pretty much keeping the same team though so who knows

You think SBW will get a start? The guy hasn't even played super rugby yet and that would mean removing Nonu who is one of the best 12's on the international sceen. I agree he needs game time but I think you are getting a bit carried away here. I can't see him getting a start. 5-10 minutes at the end of a game here and there if the All Blacks have a decent lead.

If you look back on previous end of year tours, the All Blacks rarely send out their top 15 in these games. They haven't lost a match to NH opposition on these tours for yonks, so its not as if they are in a desperate situation where they need their all their best guys to play every minute.

Last year they started Guildford, Thompson and Franks against England over Jane, Kaino and Tialata. (Who were the incumbents at the time). They also trotted out Guildford, Eaton, Crockett and Leonard against Wales ahead of Sivivatu, Donelly, Woodcock and Cowan respectively. Let alone the rag-tag bunch they put out against Italy and the Barbarians. They only really put all the big guns together against Australia and the French.

The All Blacks put out a genuine B-Team against Scotland last time around, i can't see that tactic changing. There will also be about three to four players rotated out of the top XV for the other matches, possibly more against Ireland. You can bet on SBW starting against the Scots, he will most likely start against the Welsh too and bench against the Irish/English also. The fact that this is a smaller squad than normal helps his cause.

I hope he will get a start against Scotland or Wales, Henry has said they will be pretty much keeping the same team though so who knows

Thats what Henry has always done, he keeps the core together but rotates rookies in.

Last edited:
giday ranger.

Will be interesting to see how Sonny bill is used.

I mean Nonu & Smith will surely be seen as the first choice combo for the mid field. And as far as the bench goes that will be interesting as well because to me Toeava sticks out as the main man for the #22 jersey with Dagg & Kahui injured & Ranger not in the squad.

For sure he will be involved. The number of tests before the world cup is pretty damn small and he needs to get on the field to test where he is at for the big time. Start for scotland for sure and maybe off the bench for For the welsh & the paddy's.

The biggest game is the first one against Aussie, there have been articles in the press talking about the sonny bill factor for the Hong Kong game but the reality is he may not be involved in that game at all. The coaches will surely go for the strongest lineup so it maybe not the day for Sonny's test debut.

giday ranger.

Will be interesting to see how Sonny bill is used.

I mean Nonu & Smith will surely be seen as the first choice combo for the mid field. And as far as the bench goes that will be interesting as well because to me Toeava sticks out as the main man for the #22 jersey with Dagg & Kahui injured & Ranger not in the squad.

For sure he will be involved. The number of tests before the world cup is pretty damn small and he needs to get on the field to test where he is at for the big time. Start for scotland for sure and maybe off the bench for For the welsh & the paddy's.

The biggest game is the first one against Aussie, there have been articles in the press talking about the sonny bill factor for the Hong Kong game but the reality is he may not be involved in that game at all. The coaches will surely go for the strongest lineup so it maybe not the day for Sonny's test debut.

Yeah no doubt Smith and Nonu are the number 1 guys, and we are unlikely to see him in Hong Kong where they will look to send out the top side. But he will definitely start at least one match against the Scots

I think you're getting ahead of yourself mate... At the end of that post I said that he wont start against Aus or England but will in the other games... And playing Scotland with the All Blacks hardly displays a challenge compared to Super Rugby games...
He's with the best team in the world, has played well for Toulon and Canterbury where he displayed some magnificent skills and to top it off he's a damn beast of a man. I honestly think he will be fine against Wales, Ireland and Scotland

Latest posts