Kapa O Pango

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
All Blacks vs Los Pumas
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11120142

Francis Saili will be making his debut because Ma'a Nonu ankle injury. What they do want is for him to use his fast feet, his acceleration and power to attack space and break the line.

At 1.80m and 99kg, Saili is even a physical replica. He has the required physicality to handle the extreme demands of the role - to smash into contact, with or without the ball, and retain forward momentum.
Only 22, it's likely he'll be able to add another 5kg to his frame and develop an element of comfort about his ability to attack the line.
It's no wonder, then, that his midfield partner, Conrad Smith, who is better placed than anyone to make comparisons, feels he'll be playing alongside a young Nonu.

No 12 must-haves
Generics
• Speed, size [100kg-plus] and explosive power.
• Big defence - both technical execution and tactical reading.
• Excellent handling - both short and long passing.
• Clarity in decision-making.

Bonus features
• Long and short kicking game.

All Black No 12 job description
• Run hard, run straight - cross the gainline.
• Break the line and a) offload or b) set up for recycle.
• Win all collisions.

They may be similar in weight but in terms of frame Nonu is much bigger. Saili is more in the jinker, runner and playmaker mode.

Francis Saili kinda resembles a bigger, stronger Wesley Fofana...

I personally don't think he'll have to worry too much about the physicality. One of the first things I noticed about him back when he was in the JRWC was he could take contact well.

Last edited:
Yea i agree about the Fofana resemblance i was thinking that myself just the other day.

Try telling the likes of Fofana and D'arcy you need to be 100kg to play 12 successfully.

Why is there a whole thread for this? Could've just posted it any of the other threads about e match/Saili/Nonu.

what i love about saili is that he can play both the physical role of a 12 similar to nonu, break the line and offload or pass to someone in space, and also the playmakers role of a 12 like christian lealiafano, direct the rest of the backs like a 10 and unleash a solid boot down pitch if needs be. he has a much more varied game then nonu in my opinion and hes general skills like handling and passing are very good

Saili will tear it up, I was impressed with him at the Blues this season

Gimmie their cell phone numbers. D'arcy first as I'll be speaking from the heart.

Aw Nick! How lovely, you don't think a guy who was capped a 19 year old, won 6N player of the year, was nominated for IRB player of the year, nominated for another 6N player of the year, Grand Slam winner, 3 H Cups, 2 Lions tours, 74 international caps, one member of the most capped centre partnership in international rugby, the most capped Leinster player and third highest try scorer has had a career where he could be deemed "successfull"? Great. My point is you don't have to be 100kg+ 90+ probably but players can rely on guile. Just becuse you don't like my examples doesn't mean you need to try and be a dick.

I'll be quote interested in how Saili gets on wonder is his decision making up to the standard required.

what i love about saili is that he can play both the physical role of a 12 similar to nonu, break the line and offload or pass to someone in space, and also the playmakers role of a 12 like christian lealiafano, direct the rest of the backs like a 10 and unleash a solid boot down pitch if needs be. he has a much more varied game then nonu in my opinion and hes general skills like handling and passing are very good

nek minit... drops ball that leads to first try

This is warming up into a good game.....surprised!

This is warming up into a good game.....surprised!

Yeah, hope it is a good game...but it's early minutes yet. I need to go back to bed, have to be up in a couple hours. Ugh. Wish I could stay and watch!

das

It was a bad start as in a bad first 10 minutes. I thought he recovered well though. It wasn't an easy day to be an All Blacks' back.

Aw Nick! How lovely, you don't think a guy who was capped a 19 year old, won 6N player of the year, was nominated for IRB player of the year, nominated for another 6N player of the year, Grand Slam winner, 3 H Cups, 2 Lions tours, 74 international caps, one member of the most capped centre partnership in international rugby, the most capped Leinster player and third highest try scorer has had a career where he could be deemed "successfull"? Great. My point is you don't have to be 100kg+ 90+ probably but players can rely on guile. Just becuse you don't like my examples doesn't mean you need to try and be a dick.

I'll be quote interested in how Saili gets on wonder is his decision making up to the standard required.

Nah - he's the most overrated player in history - who I doubt would have 1 test for the ABs. I didn't say he couldn't achieve accolades - just I can't think of a less threatening player to achieve them.

Latest posts