• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks Rugby Championship Squad?

Pretty disappointed for McKenzie, everyone knows he has been one of the outstanding backs in comp and he gets left out for Dagg.

Lowe could be hard done by as well, the Chiefs have traveled a **** load in the last few weeks and that may explain some of the form drop off by him, but would rather have him than Savea in my team at the moment.

I would have to say that I expect Barrett to start the first test, based on his form he should be given the first crack.

Yeah, outstanding form AND young, would have thought Mackenzie would be in there to start building for 2019

Julian and Wyatt are pretty bloody lucky imo.

I used to look forward to team selection announcement. But it like a default selection now. Maybe now I understand why Crusaders perform so badly these few years. There is no incentive to do so. You be ultimately be selected for ABs. The most important is don't get injured. :D Many of the players don't deserved to be selected.

Wyatt dont even have the energy to sustain for full 80 mins Super Rugby game.

Julian totally no form any all.

Last edited:
Tired of hearing all the whining about selection. The team is trying to build continuity. Yes they could just flip-flop between in form players constantly, but ultimately that wouldn't be productive for what should be obvious reasons. They could select Lowe over Savea but the difference would be marginal and Lowe is far from proven at that level. Also Savea, like a Carter or Nonu, is capable of elevating his game to a level almost nobody else can get to. It means it is worth it to stick with him through the dry spells. Still plenty of time for Mackenzie prior to 2019, just look at NMS.

How can Lowe become proven at that level unless he's selected?

Tired of hearing all the whining about selection. The team is trying to build continuity. Yes they could just flip-flop between in form players constantly, but ultimately that wouldn't be productive for what should be obvious reasons. They could select Lowe over Savea but the difference would be marginal and Lowe is far from proven at that level. Also Savea, like a Carter or Nonu, is capable of elevating his game to a level almost nobody else can get to. It means it is worth it to stick with him through the dry spells. Still plenty of time for Mackenzie prior to 2019, just look at NMS.

If continuity is the criteria for selection, then when is appropriate time to introduce the new players? Do you think Wyatt Crockett will be selected for 2019. Why don't bring someone in for the experience. But when someone get selected for the Steinlager Series. He was not even selected in any of matches in the series. So what is the point get the player to be selected for the series.

Last edited:
If continuity is the criteria for selection, then when is appropriate time to introduce the new players? Do you think Wyatt Crockett will be selected for 2019. Why don't bring someone in for the experience. But when someone get selected for the Steinlager Series. He was not even selected in any of matches in the series. So what is the point get the player to be selected for the series.

I largely agree with what you're saying, however in the case of Crockett, the inclusion and capping of Tu'ungfasi shows that they are looking towards the replacement of him. At 33, I can't see him being around for much longer.

Interesting comments about McKenzie from the kiwis and have to say I agree. It's part of our frustration over here too - you have an in form player who misses out because of the selection criteria. Players like Skelton who are useless but always get picked as an example.

I agree that J.Savea is an interesting pick seeing as he's been displaced by Woodward at the Canes, Dagg and Crockett also lucky.

no doubt New Zealand will still be more than competitive as always though

its almost seems like winning the next match...whatever that match is... is more important than the one after that or the one after that if that makes sense

dont get me wrong things have gone pretty well for the AB's using this mentality...but we do put our selves at risk of "the perfect storm" of injuries / retirements / heading overseas

The thing is these guys must find it hard, play our of your skin each week and out play the incumbent starters and bench players but still get no further.

Definately, I can understand it more in the past where the jump from NPC to test match was so big...but the gap from super to test is so much smaller

pretty uninspiring squad really.

I'm glad they have gone with Moala, I've been saying for the last year or so he should be in the AB's and it seems now the shot he got against Wales was enough to get the selectors on his side.

apart from that its very conservative. Crotty & Fekitoa have been quiet and they didn't really impress against Wales.

The squad is instantly downgraded without McKenzie. I think most of the NZ public is just waiting to see how he will do in test footy. He's young and pretty much a dead set lock in for the EoY tour but why wait. I think after a long and impressive super campaign he would be better off now getting back into the AB squad than mucking about in the NPC.

Ive ranted long and often with my opinion on Savea. Hes well off his game, hes further off his game than he was in June. Hansen isn't going to magically change that. As Ive said many times in the past, hes like 26 now clearly past his peak, next WC he will be 28-29 and he wont be a factor for the AB's. Players like him tend to peak very young and burn out quick. Amazing player in his prime, legend for what hes done but lets be realistic about his future. We have some brilliant young wingers coming through.

Lowe didn't help his cause in the last few weeks of super rugby though. For a while he could do no wrong and was in blistering form, utterly destroyed the welsh. But the last 3 games he made some uncharacteristic mistakes and his finishing wasn't good. As much as anything it must be from the heavy workload and travel schedule of the chiefs. He will be back.

For mine the other position that is a real disappointment is that 4th locking spot. While Romano hasn't really done anything wrong he hasn't been playing the house down either and just generally his workload doesn't seem that great, I even think Barrett has been better at the Crusaders. While Dominic Bird has come back from injury he has week in week out performed on a level or better than Retalick at the chiefs. The guy has been phenomenal.

I think Aaron Cruden's spot in the squad is going to come under question more and more. With McKenzie, Barrett & Sopoaga on the rise Cruden's stocks are falling. He didn't finish the super campaign well and he could potentially be watching test matches from the stands outside the match day 23 because he lacks versatility, isn't kicking goals and isn't seen as a genuine impact player.

Mckenzie is being hugely overrated by some on here. He is not going to get anywhere near the space he's got at super rugby level in a decent test match.

He's a great runner of the ball thats about it. We've got plenty of those.

- - - Updated - - -

And the problem with Savea is he's one dimensional. Even when he's playing at his peak he does not even give a thought to pilfering ball or solid tactical kicking and even though he's young he's been around for ages and seems to of learnt next to nothing. I honestly think the AB's will be better off without him unless he can majorly change his game. Naholo will be a revelation on his wing.

i just think we actually need to see what these guys would do in test footy. we keep saying its different to super or NPC but claim to know how they would preform...based on a different type of football

Mckenzie is being hugely overrated by some on here. He is not going to get anywhere near the space he's got at super rugby level in a decent test match.

He's a great runner of the ball thats about it. We've got plenty of those.

I think we watch very different games of rugby - because I can't recall ever agreeing with anything you've said.

McKenzie is a 71% goal kicker (about the same as Sopoaga). He has made more carries than any other player in the competition, more clean breakes, more defenders beaten and more running metres. He is second in the competition in offloads, second in total points scored, and second in total tries - and has 10 try assists. His tactical kicking is very good, has a very good support game, and is great at putting others into space.

His defense is his only work on - which is still better than Israel Dagg who has gone from missing a lot of tackles every game, to never even attempting a tackle in most of his games (averaging 1 tackle per game so far).

We all know you have something against Savea for whatever reason, so no point commenting on most of that cause it's been the same old tune for the last two years.

^^ Whenever iv seen Mckenzie in any big time match for me he's failed miserably. Thats just how I see it. He never gets the space he finds in a round robin match.

It wont be any different at Test level unless we are playing Argentina or some other outfit with totally clueless backs.

And as for Savea he cant even make the Canes starting lineup. I dont really need to say anything more than that.

^^ Whenever iv seen Mckenzie in any big time match for me he's failed miserably. Thats just how I see it. He never gets the space he finds in a round robin match.

It wont be any different at Test level unless we are playing Argentina or some other outfit with totally clueless backs.

How **** was Dagg for years and he still got picked

As long as Ben Smiths first choice it matters not who's the second choice.

Except that there's a good chance that with only 2 wingers selected and one isn't starting for his franchise, Smith will again be on the wing. So really, second choice is first choice at fullback.

Latest posts