• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks final World Cup squad?

Agree but I would take NMS over Dagg and Piutua.

Piutau was our best and most consistent player over the first three tests this year that he played. And IMO his name would have been down in ink for the WC squad at that point.

Heck only yesterday he played for Auckland, had a superb game and was literally everywhere. And you can be sure the selectors watched that game, many AB's turned out in ITM cup this weekend.

When super rugby finished up I wrote him off as an option, there was no way after turning his back on an NZRU contract & the blues poor season.... But since then he's turned every chance to gold. Now IMO Piutau and Ben Smith are our top 2 form back three players, that means in the current pecking order he's above Savea who's currently down on condition and form. The type of player he is, his size and the experience he has makes him a much better option for knockout football than Skudder.

We have to select him, simple as that.

Agreed with what Larksea have and it's just stupid to have a chip on our shoulder about him moving overseas next seasons, bigger named players have done that after a RWC and he's stuck around and really turned up for the RWC year and that's what we really ask of players. He's on the plane and we're stupid not to select him if he doesn't get a spot.

there is more too the whole Piutau contract indecent than a normal overseas signing.

It sounds like this is what basically happened, though of course I cannot confirm 100% this is true.

NZRU and Piutau sit down and discuss a contract and come up with something that both parties are happy with.
NZRU consider the deal done and await Piutau to sign contract and send it back.
Before Piutau sends his NZRU contract back he gets an overseas offer in his hands for big money.
Piutau throws out NZRU contract and sings big money overseas deal.
NZRU hear about it through the media....

This is why Hansen & Co. were obviously taken back and upset about the indecent apart from the fact he had been nurtured for a couple of years by the All Black setup and would have been a big part of planning for 2015-2019.

I think it did put piutau in a situation where he had to play out of his skin in order to get selected. The Blues season was a bit of a write off, but since then he's been on a tear. He's done what he needed to do now we have to select him, this is a WC and he's too good to ignore.

there is more too the whole Piutau contract indecent than a normal overseas signing.

It sounds like this is what basically happened, though of course I cannot confirm 100% this is true.

NZRU and Piutau sit down and discuss a contract and come up with something that both parties are happy with.
NZRU consider the deal done and await Piutau to sign contract and send it back.
Before Piutau sends his NZRU contract back he gets an overseas offer in his hands for big money.
Piutau throws out NZRU contract and sings big money overseas deal.
NZRU hear about it through the media....

This is why Hansen & Co. were obviously taken back and upset about the indecent apart from the fact he had been nurtured for a couple of years by the All Black setup and would have been a big part of planning for 2015-2019.

I think it did put piutau in a situation where he had to play out of his skin in order to get selected. The Blues season was a bit of a write off, but since then he's been on a tear. He's done what he needed to do now we have to select him, this is a WC and he's too good to ignore.

We wouldn't be in this situation if they had dropped Jane a couple of years ago and started playing Piutau then, which we should have done.

If he had been a starting AB, which he deserved to be, he may have hung around.

I thought Jane has actually shown some pretty good form in this year's Super Rugby (obviously had a great pack in front of him). I like his ability to make things happen for other players. He's already second overall in the offloads count in the ITM and that doesn't surprise me. I'm not sure what he's doing next year, but it's nice to know he's finding a bit of form and going back to basics. Hard to imagine he'll get a look in with the likes of Naholo and NMS, but if we had an injury crisis then he could be an option in the future.

I thought the whole notion of not picking Piutau because he's leaving was silly. You can afford to do that with a guy who's creeping out of form, but not somebody who is playing well. It's a World Cup, you have to put your ego and personal beliefs to one side. If they are taking Dagg, then I'd probably have to give Piutau the nod over NMS. He's been in the environment for a longer period of time, has had a few more learning curves and I'm more confident if the ABs made the final that Piutau wouldn't just be a passenger or go into his shell. Hard to imagine that a final would be a broken-play affair. It'll most likely be tight and physical (like a good woman). Piutau seems to have that extra bit of aggression to suit that style.

Last edited:
I'd go NMS over Piatau pretty easily.

Piatau had a reall good game against South Africa. That's pretty much all that he has done notable this year. It seems some players form increases in people's minds, the less they play. NMS had an amazing SR season, who then had two great games in a row for the All Blacks (two tries in a losing effort is nothing to sneeze at). If there isn't much that separates them, you'd have to go for the guy who will be here playing for the All Blacks next year, he NMS is clearly hungrier and wants it more.

I'd probably take Jane of Piatau as well if I'm honest. Jane is probably the safest wing option and is great for knock out games. He looks to be coming into some good form as well.

All the All Black contenders looked good. Part from maybe Messam.

Goes to show the class/cut above for some of these extraordinary players and we can have confidence with who ever goes, even Dagg.

I don't think Jane is a good idea over Piutau because of his injury history and lack of game time in a Black jersey this year. Piutau has been the more consistent All Black over the past few years as well, he's also younger/fitter and will last longer in a tough knock out tournament. Piutau is undoubtedly a better option than Jane right now, there isn't really a plausible argument about it. If you want to talk about franchise favouritism like you accused me of with Fekitoa, then saying Jane > Piutau is definitely Wellington favouritism.

Smith, Piutau, NMS, Savea should and will be our outside backs. Dagg being the closest contender knowing Hansen rates him and his experience.

Barlow had some good moments, making a case, really don't know if he will go or not, it's tough to say, I feel him and Sopoanga are fighting for a spot.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd say Sopoaga looked 'good' for Southland. He was ok, but thought he kicked too much and took the wrong options. I know he's capable of much better though, so not criticizing the guy, just an observation.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd say Sopoaga looked 'good' for Southland. He was ok, but thought he kicked too much and took the wrong options. I know he's capable of much better though, so not criticizing the guy, just an observation.

He won them the match with his goal kicking and running game. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as 'good'.

I'd go NMS over Piatau pretty easily.

Piatau had a reall good game against South Africa. That's pretty much all that he has done notable this year. It seems some players form increases in people's minds, the less they play. NMS had an amazing SR season, who then had two great games in a row for the All Blacks (two tries in a losing effort is nothing to sneeze at). If there isn't much that separates them, you'd have to go for the guy who will be here playing for the All Blacks next year, he NMS is clearly hungrier and wants it more.

I'd probably take Jane of Piatau as well if I'm honest. Jane is probably the safest wing option and is great for knock out games. He looks to be coming into some good form as well.

disagree, the selectors would have to be bonkers to select jane over Piutau, he wasn't just man of the match against South Africa, he was one of the only All Blacks to actually look good against Samoa and he had a really good game against Argentina as well.

The play where Piutau came from the left side to save a try on the right hand side even though he was outnumbered in the springbok test was the kind of play that just might win us the world cup. He booked his ticket that day, dont deny it.

I think maybe some hurricanes bias showing? IMO Accross those first three tests, Piutau was the best and most consistent player of all the players that got a run. And Honestly... I wanted him to fail, I'd much rather we take a guy who's committed to NZRU. But when it comes down too it right now 2015 is all that matters. 2016 can wait, we have to select Piutau.

To be fair I didn't see the entire match. But I did watch the entire first half, and parts of the second, and I'm only reporting on that. Even the commentators acknowledged he wasn't quite taking the right options. However, on reflection looking at his stats for the match he does seem to have picked up a bit of steam which is awesome and I may have been too quick on the button with that judgement.

Last edited:
We wouldn't be in this situation if they had dropped Jane a couple of years ago and started playing Piutau then, which we should have done.

If he had been a starting AB, which he deserved to be, he may have hung around.

That's not really how it happened. piutau got gametime when he was in the squad as injury cover and was superb. But then the next season he missed a lot of tests due to himself being injured. And he's not just competing with Jane. Mostly the preferred combination has been 11, Savea, 14, Ben Smith, 15 Dagg

With hindsight being 20/20 the best combo to try and get established would have been 11, savea 14, Piutau 15, Ben Smith. It's really Dagg who's kept him out when he shouldn't have been.

I hope they take Piatau, he has looked the goods for some time now.
It's a shame Piatau signed overseas but rugby is a short career and the players need to make their money before their careers run out or the spectre of injury takes away their income stream.

Piutua is stronger, but what NMS does in attack pips what Piutua does in defence.
I think NMS is a game changer, the two matches against Aus showed that.
Especially the second when his magic in attack took the AB to the next gear to go on and win it.. He's been doing that all season for the cains, would be ridiculous to have a player like that and not take them..

Really strong word coming through that Naholo is looking likely to be named in the Squad meaning more than likely no Jane, Piatau or Dagg.

This makes sense if choosing on super rugby form and wanting to guarantee an dynamic strike player should Savea get injured.

At the moment it looks like 15)Smith 14)NMS 11)Savea with Naholo to back up.

Great balance but Piutau could count himself the most unluckiest for sure.

Is Skudder carrying an injury though.. that might be Hansens concern, but he definitely deserves to go, he's awesome. If those Naholo rumours are true, it's a big call.

That would be a very stupid thing to do in my opinion. The guy has had 60 minutes of playing time; it simply isn't enough confirmation that he's our man for the World Cup. There are too many unknowns about that selection.

A) He was solid but not spectacular against Argentina - I would have liked to have seen more of what he can do. Would he fit in as well as NMS or Piutau against tougher opposition? I'm sure he probably can, but I'd like the proof.

B) How brittle is that injury? Not much use taking him if the slightest knock will inflame it again

I'm Naholo's biggest fan and was devastated with his injury and there's no way I can endorse him going over Skudder and Piutau who both have proven themselves. It's just really unfortunate for Naholo, really sad. I just can't see the selectors making a call like that, especially given how controversial his injury recovery has been.

That would be a very stupid thing to do in my opinion. The guy has had 60 minutes of playing time; it simply isn't enough confirmation that he's our man for the World Cup. There are too many unknowns about that selection.

A) He was solid but not spectacular against Argentina - I would have liked to have seen more of what he can do. Would he fit in as well as NMS or Piutau against tougher opposition? I'm sure he probably can, but I'd like the proof.

B) How brittle is that injury? Not much use taking him if the slightest knock will inflame it again

Agreed completely. Even if Naholo was fit then I don't see why he would be going to the World Cup. Given he is injured, he surely has no chance? I think it is just the media making stories up.

Latest posts