• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread pt. 2

Is anyone still on Twitter/X?

I really enjoy it for sport and random memes but in the last couple weeks it's gone from very intolerant and right wing to openly fascist. Multiple posts trying to portray the Nazis as the good side of WWII.

This is Elon's platform that Trump has very recently decided he should return to. Incredibly worrying.
I used to use Twitter, mostly for sports and current events and I liked it. But Musk ruined it IMHO. He puts his massive ego ahead of everything, so I don't use X.

I just wanted twitter to be the people I followed. Basically just old friends and some sports humor accounts. When the algorithm got involved it just ruined it for me. I don't want 100 different content creators showing up on my feed.
Same for Facebook, and presumably, all other forms of social media.
You singllgn up, and tell it whose content you want to see, then every 3rd post is advertising, and maybe 1 in 10 of what you get shown is what you actually want to see.

Republicans literally just make random **** up and the left has to constantly combat the lies. There is no ******* shame at all among the far right in many western nations now. Willingly being the useful idiots for Russia, Spreading absolute bullshit at the drop of a hat and destroying everything they touch. This is what a society the lead up to a society that has completely taken leave of their ******* senses looks like. The truth matters.

Seriously, what single productive thing have any of the right wing parties in the west done in the last decade or 2? Any positive contributions at all?

Gottsa say - that was a good debate for Harris.
Whether it'll make any difference is a different matter.
It still blows my mind that there are such things as undecided voters in this particular election.

Gottsa say - that was a good debate for Harris.
Whether it'll make any difference is a different matter.
It still blows my mind that there are such things as undecided voters in this particular election.
Harris won IMHO. Trump made it easy for her with all the idiotic lies he told during the debate. :rolleyes:

lindsey graham trump GIF

Last edited:
As a former prosecutor you would expect Harris to win any debate with a bloke in his 70s. It's whether debates like this make any difference in the election.

Woke up this morning and it's all Tay Tay and eating dogs. Interesting times.

Looks like she more than held her own. Was awake at 2am and watched a bit of it before turning off when Trump started spouting his nonsense.
I think the pollsters underestimated Trump's vote in 2016 and 20 which is why they can't really be relied on this time either.

Turns out she baited him and he took it. The fact that he himself felt the need to be in the spin room afterwards also says a lot. The dogs and cats theory was a belter and good that the mods fact checked it in advance of the debate and confirmed it was ****** live on air straight after he said it.

Have listened to a good bit of reaction from the debate and it seems like Harris wiped the floor with Trump. The media I've listened to is very pro blue but it sounds like he was caught out spreading blatant misinformation / lies.

Anything to be said for Trump or was he undeniably caught out completely in a well moderated debate against competent opposition as I've heard?

I'm more concerned about Musk's algorithm pushing it onto my feed. I went back through posts I interact with (like, I don't post) and it's 95% sport, humour and music and 5% north of Ireland politics. No history, no fascism etc... It seems malicious to me, especially coupled with the rubbish that Musk tweets himself.
Something similar happens/happened to me. It used to be on one side of the spectrum and now it is on the other. Actually, on both. Again pendulum.

The thing i find interesting is that a lot of the complains i hear/read about twitter these days (not you. I repeat, NOT you) happen to coincide with a specific side of the political spectrum that was clearly protected in the past on that platform. The nutjobs on the right used to be banned swiftly while the ones on the left roamed freely. Now both can do the latter so if you look at the "change", well, obviously the number of nutjobs from the right has increased and it shows. No argument there. The problem i see is that the ones complaining now didn't appear to have a problem with nutjobs as long as those came from the political side they happened to support. That leads me to believe they didnt care about nutjobs per se; they cared about politics. If that is the case then i do have a problem with that. Am i making myself clear? Congruence is important to me. If you only cry foul when one side does it that screams bias.

My memory is not that bad: I recall Antifa doxing law enforcement agents and Twitter doing nothing for quite a while under Dorsey (eventually they deleted the tweet if i recall correctly). A high profile radical feminist misgendered a trans activist and nothing happened, but when someone relatively famous from the centre to the right of the spectrum did the same and bam, all the alerts started ringing. Kathy griffin asking for people to post names the minors who used MAGA hats in that high school incident and twitter not considering that a breach of the TOS because, and i paraphrase twitters GC and head of legal: "our doxing policy is about posting private info, and we do not consider names to be private info". I remember when i listened to that because i repeated that fragment several times. Twitter suspended the ney york post's twitter account when they tweeted about Hunter Biden...

I get the frustration and share it, to a point. But i have eyes, ears and memory which forces me to ask, what did I expect? When a place is so left leaning any move to the centre or the right might look like an extreme right wing invasion.
And again, i agree with you that the nutjobs from the right are mental. Suggesting Hitler was the good guy and Churchill the bad guy should deserve a one way ticket to the betty ford centre in my book. Straight jacket material.
(i hope) we agree on that. But i do see the context (context is probably the wrong word, apologies). I've seen what i consider the same degree of madness from the other side and most said nothing. Again, not YOU, i am making a hasty generalization based on what I read/hear.

The phrase "learn to code" used to get you a temporary ban while (again) a high profile individual publicly asking for the names of minors wearing MAGA hats was not considered fair game. It was not somethign they missed. Twitter was alerted, repeatedly, they reviewed the tweets in question, analyzed them, judged them and concluded they were fair game. And these are just the ones i recall.
That is, imo, just as mental.

Is the algorithm ****? Agreed. Is it targeted? Probably but i am happy to concede. Was this expected? Yes, absolutely.

Something similar happens/happened to me. It used to be on one side of the spectrum and now it is on the other. Actually, on both. Again pendulum.

The thing i find interesting is that a lot of the complains i hear/read about twitter these days (not you. I repeat, NOT you) happen to coincide with a specific side of the political spectrum that was clearly protected in the past on that platform. The nutjobs on the right used to be banned swiftly while the ones on the left roamed freely. Now both can do the latter so if you look at the "change", well, obviously the number of nutjobs from the right has increased and it shows. No argument there. The problem i see is that the ones complaining now didn't appear to have a problem with nutjobs as long as those came from the political side they happened to support. That leads me to believe they didnt care about nutjobs per se; they cared about politics. If that is the case then i do have a problem with that. Am i making myself clear? Congruence is important to me. If you only cry foul when one side does it that screams bias.

My memory is not that bad: I recall Antifa doxing law enforcement agents and Twitter doing nothing for quite a while under Dorsey (eventually they deleted the tweet if i recall correctly). A high profile radical feminist misgendered a trans activist and nothing happened, but when someone relatively famous from the centre to the right of the spectrum did the same and bam, all the alerts started ringing. Kathy griffin asking for people to post names the minors who used MAGA hats in that high school incident and twitter not considering that a breach of the TOS because, and i paraphrase twitters GC and head of legal: "our doxing policy is about posting private info, and we do not consider names to be private info". I remember when i listened to that because i repeated that fragment several times. Twitter suspended the ney york post's twitter account when they tweeted about Hunter Biden...

I get the frustration and share it, to a point. But i have eyes, ears and memory which forces me to ask, what did I expect? When a place is so left leaning any move to the centre or the right might look like an extreme right wing invasion.
And again, i agree with you that the nutjobs from the right are mental. Suggesting Hitler was the good guy and Churchill the bad guy should deserve a one way ticket to the betty ford centre in my book. Straight jacket material.
(i hope) we agree on that. But i do see the context (context is probably the wrong word, apologies). I've seen what i consider the same degree of madness from the other side and most said nothing. Again, not YOU, i am making a hasty generalization based on what I read/hear.

The phrase "learn to code" used to get you a temporary ban while (again) a high profile individual publicly asking for the names of minors wearing MAGA hats was not considered fair game. It was not somethign they missed. Twitter was alerted, repeatedly, they reviewed the tweets in question, analyzed them, judged them and concluded they were fair game. And these are just the ones i recall.
That is, imo, just as mental.

Is the algorithm ****? Agreed. Is it targeted? Probably but i am happy to concede. Was this expected? Yes, absolutely.
My issue is that old twitter could be an apolitical platform it that's how you used it. I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about up there and find certain far left views just as dangerous as certain far right views. You or I aren't the vulnerable people to having this forced on a feed, you can get an account at 13. Teenagers are bad enough for seeking this stuff out (by the sounds of it one of the above events would have required far left leaning children to identify their peers so it goes both ways), having it as the first thing they see when they open an app for no other reason than Musk has decided that he wants to be some freakshow political figure doesn't sit right with me*.

As an aside on Musk, I think his tweet to Taylor Swift shows what he is. He was probably attempting to be humorous there but when your joke fall flat and come across as a threat of rape, I think it's pretty telling how out of touch you are.

*Neither did censoring outside the purposeful spreading of misinformation.

People got banned from Twitter because they broke Twitters rules which you agreed too when signing up to twitter. That's got knob all to do with freedom of speech. There is nothing stopping you starting your own platform or going somewhere else if want but if you broke Twitter rules you got the consequences. It then turned into a ***** by idiots like Tate and Trump who said it was stopping their freedom of speech which it wasn't. Twitter wasn't the government, it could ban who it chose to ban like the plaque in a pub says "reserves the right to serve who they choose"

Now it's just a right wing toilet wall and Musk was only able to buy it because he was financed in part with Russian money.

This guy is just so ******* weird. You look at the pretty measured and mature messages that Swift has put out regarding elections vs what the right wing bros attacking her put out, it's really night and day. They then have the nerve to act like she's the stupid, immature and emotional one.

2024-09-12_23h30_09.png

Latest posts