• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Scotland vs France - 10/02/24

GF0OJRvWMAAOUIO.jpeg

Genuinely surprised by Lucu, but he is Jaliberts club mate and high flying in the league (2nd/3rd) playing well.

The real dissapointment last week was from those out wide, Penaud, Ramos, Danty are top class, but made really bad mistakes regularly, Fickou tried hard but couldnt keep the backline together.

I'm not surprised by Lucu's inclusion from a skill POV, he's probably their most consistant fly half right now. You know exactly what you're getting out of the ruck. He's fast & reliable. He's a good, regular timepiece, always ticking over. He's a good option if you're looking to win the 6 Nations this year and can surround him with talent.

However, he's 28. You can milk him for 2-3 years, before you'll have to change, which is exactly when the next WC happens. Maybe that's a realistic timescale, maybe he crashes at 31 and you need to find another fly-half with no experience going into a WC. He's also not given to flashes of brilliance, that's why you surround him with talent rather than consider him as one.

Something that has always impressed me are nations willing to tank a couple of years of 6 Nations rugby to put a system and young talent into place that will pay out down the line in a WC year. England did it 7 years ago, France did it 4 years ago. I feel that putting their faith in a 28yo very good fly-half rather than younger talent with less experience but a higher ceiling isn't the sign of a team (one that's carrying multiple injuries and missing the best player in the world) looking 4 years down the road and that's a pity.

Not too many complaints about the Scottish 23 although I would have preferred to see Johnny Matthews on the bench instead of Ashman whose darts and overall form have been a bit shaky of late. Good to see Christie get a place on the bench and look forward to seeing how he does when he comes on.

There were calls for Jones to play 15 which would allow Redpath to play with Sione in midfield but I think Finn has such a strong partnership with Sione inside him I wouldn't want to disrupt that and so happy for Rowe to continue at FB given his experience playing in the back three. It would be risky playing Huw at 15 at this level if even he has done it for Glasgow.

Jamie Ritchie really fallen out of favour as he doesn't even make the bench.

Jamie Ritchie really fallen out of favour as he doesn't even make the bench.

He's not in great form and so it's the right call. Matt Fagerson is pretty fortunate to stay in the team as he wasn't that great against Wales last week either. Christie might find himself starting at 6 against England if he does well and Fagerson doesn't improve. Ritchie is less essential as Skinner also covers 6 and second row.

Last edited:
Team isn't a surprise, but then Scotland probably have the least overall changes to their squad. They still need an 80 minute performance though.

Excited for this, hoping Scotland can be rock steady and absorb the French backlash, repel it and frustrate them into imploding before cutting loose and running up some great scores.

Glass half full eh.....

Excited for this, hoping Scotland can be rock steady and absorb the French backlash, repel it and frustrate them into imploding before cutting loose and running up some great scores.

Glass half full eh.....

Admire your optimism. France do love a second half implosion and hopefully we don't out implode them after last weekend's showing. I see that the ref is Nic Berry - could be worse as it could have been Angus Gardner.

Will be interesting to see how the co-captaincy goes. I'm concerned Darge might be a bit undercooked having just returned from injury. France have got a world class pack and our back row has to be on it at the breakdown. Discipline is key and we need to keep the penalties to a minimum and avoid any daft yellows.

Interesting one this, France will be confident, but theyll know Scotland tend to enjoy playing them at home, and after last weeks mess who knows what type of French team will turn up.

Interestingly, France have had nothing but an uptick since Edward's joined, he made an instant improvement, to a team lacklustre and not willing to defend. This is the first time in a few seasons question Mark's are being asked about this squad, even losing in the RWC people were still saying that it's a young side, the next RWC will be the target etc... but after last week.

Penaud, Ramos, Jalibert especially have been lauded as top class, but Ireland put them under pressure and they folded.

Scotland however fell to peices against a poor and young Wales, so the question is, which of these teams can out capitulate the other?

Admire your optimism. France do love a second half implosion and hopefully we don't out implode them after last weekend's showing. I see that the ref is Nic Berry - could be worse as it could have been Angus Gardner.

Will be interesting to see how the co-captaincy goes. I'm concerned Darge might be a bit undercooked having just returned from injury. France have got a world class pack and our back row has to be on it at the breakdown. Discipline is key and we need to keep the penalties to a minimum and avoid any daft yellows.
I would prefer Gardner if I'm honest, Scotland have never beaten a T1 team with Berry in charge

Steyn is out so Rowe moving to wing with Harry Paterson coming in at fullback. He's only played 8 pro games...

Steyn is out so Rowe moving to wing with Harry Paterson coming in at fullback. He's only played 8 pro games...

Steyn impregnating his wife 9 months before the 6N is very poor family planning (joke).

Thought they might have moved Huw Jones to 15 and started Redpath at 12. Good luck to young Patterson.

Last edited:
Reed remains English for another week 💪

Would've liked to have seen him involved though

Steyn impregnating his wife 9 months before the 6N is very poor family planning (joke).

Thought they might have moved Huw Jones to 15 and started Redpath at 12. Good luck to young Patterson.
Yeah that seems the more obvious move. I assume Townsend decided that was too much disruption to the midfield.

Losing Steyn just before the game doesn't help

On paper, France should be way too strong in the pack for Scotland and would have seen what happened against Wales and take a lot of confidence.

It is at Murrayfield though, these games are traditionally relatively high scoring so it's not beyond Scotland to win this. I just can't see how they will handle the French backrow which will look to slow all of their ball down and keep their ruck speed high.

I actually think this is the game of the weekend, Wales England is always tight and a tough watch and Ireland will be rampant against Italy.

Didn't see anything in particular for Jones to be down. He has had injury issues in the past, so maybe a bit more fragile.

Latest posts