• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] England vs Wales - 10/02/24

Selective memory methinks. Rewind a couple weeks and recall Gatland's glee when recounting Neil Jenkins reaction to IFW selecting England over Wales. He knows exactly what he's doing and it surprises me how sensitive WG is when receiving his own criticism.
Hahaha selective memory indeed lol. Glee my arse.

When I heard him speak about Neil Jenkins reaction I thought he had thrown him under the bus, but he would have spoken to Jenkins and discussed his answer.

He gave a legitimate scenario that IFW should heed, 5 English caps could be 30-50 Welsh caps. Maybe it was meant for IFW to hear, maybe not, but he in no way was disrespectful, and pretty much just bats the question away without interest.

What do you want him to do, cry on camera begging IFW to return home?

The 2 biggest areas of improvement I want to see are in defence
1) I will really lose my **** if we once again leave huge gaps on the outside and let the Welsh breeze through because the defence can't be bothered to drift across and cover it. Leaving a gap on the wings is fine but the defence MUST ******* drift across when the ball starts going that way. If the players simply aren't going to put the effort in to doing that, they either need to be dropped or the system needs changing.

2) We also need to stop the situation where a player can run at a shoulder and neither player seems to bother making a tackle, like they each think it's for the other guy to do. You can't spend all your time worrying about covering off the offload if you aren't making an effort to tackle the guy in the first place.

To a lesser degree I want us to stop the bullshit of under-resourcing rucks, it doesn't matter how nicely spread out in pods your players are if the ball gets stuck at the bottom and you end up just doing a 1 out pass anyway. Lastly, it's so annoying seeing a player make a break and nobody else can be arsed to move at anything below a slow jog to support them, get your ******* arse in gear and get on their shoulder.

Fundamentally a lot of it comes across as the players being lazy and, when given the option between putting in extra effort to assist the team or trudging along to the next pre-planned move, they nearly always opt for the latter. We are probably one of the worst teams in the world for refusing to take advantage of a situation if it means putting in a little more effort or deviating slightly from the norm.

Just clean up the basics, put in a solid defensive shift and show control in attack and that will be just fine for now.
1) as long as it's an improvement on last week, then it will show that the system is in the process of bedding in; and it looks like this system does require defending very narrowly, and rushing forwards as quickly as possible - the drift seems to come much later in proceedings.

2) yep, absolutely. The one exception I'll make is a big runner down the 10 channel, in which case, it's the FH's job to hold up the ball, and the flanker's job to actually make the tackle. Those metres made by Italy are mostly on Underhill's shoulders - which makes me think his foot/ankle weren't actually fit to play.

3) Did we under-resource rucks against Italy? I though we were averaging <3 seconds for rucks. We didn't know what to do with the ball once there, but ruck speed really didn't seem to be the problem. RWC on the other hand...

4) I'll let you tell the players they're lazy, not an accusation I'd ever make against any of them. Confused as to their role, or conserving energy for the rush are different matters.

Selective memory methinks. Rewind a couple weeks and recall Gatland's glee when recounting Neil Jenkins reaction to IFW selecting England over Wales. He knows exactly what he's doing and it surprises me how sensitive WG is when receiving his own criticism.
Glee? wtf? lol.

You lot really do have some weird Gatland brain rot. I'll call it Gatland derangement syndrome.

Warburton is a bit like the BBC, he's obsessed with objectivity, so much so that he actually leans to far into it and forgets to credit wales at all. Having said that in this instance any half knowledgable person would predict an England win here.

Really England should win by at least 20 points. If I had my way Scotland would've been docked 2 points for last weekends embarrassing result and as England are at home I'll say if they don't win by at least 25 points then all points should go to Wales.

Warburton is a bit like the BBC, he's obsessed with objectivity, so much so that he actually leans to far into it and forgets to credit wales at all. Having said that in this instance any half knowledgable person would predict an England win here.
Must be a bit of pressure from ITV to be that way. BOD is the exact same, even more so with Leinster I find

I suspect Warburton feels he needs to compensate for Jiffy's lack of objectivity.

Personally speaking I think Warbs and Barclay speak a lot of sense and make a good pundit double act even if they do tow the BBC line a bit.
I really like Barclay. He's not immune from the usual pundit stuff obviously but he's a good pundit nonetheless. I'm a bit biased, though, as he has a soft spot for Wale given his time at the Scarlets.

I really like Barclay. He's not immune from the usual pundit stuff obviously but he's a good pundit nonetheless. I'm a bit biased, though, as he has a soft spot for Wale given his time at the Scarlets.

Yeah he's got a fantastic understanding of the game. I heard him say once that his biggest souvenir from his time in Wales is that his kids still have Welsh accents.

Must be a bit of pressure from ITV to be that way. BOD is the exact same, even more so with Leinster I find
Yeah I've noticed this to with BOD. In a time when Ireland are like legit the best team in the world I listen to him sometimes and think he's not giving them enough credit or should be a lot more confident. Mind you, he's not a prick is he, he's always come across as a humble guy (same for Warburton) so a lot of it is probably just personality driven, refraining from giving 100% honest opinions as they don't want to come across badly.

None of this is bad obviously but everyone loves a bit of Roy Keane for example, someone who maybe goes a bit hard the other way (being deliberately edgy) but probably says what he actually thinks a lot more than BOD or Warburton. I'm trying to think of a rugby equivalent who I'd like to see and my brain just goes to Mike Phillips. He doesn't really do pundit work though other than a bit for S4C.

Yeah I've noticed this to with BOD. In a time when Ireland are like legit the best team in the world I listen to him sometimes and think he's not giving them enough credit or should be a lot more confident. Mind you, he's not a prick is he, he's always come across as a humble guy (same for Warburton) so a lot of it is probably just personality driven, refraining from giving 100% honest opinions as they don't want to come across badly.

None of this is bad obviously but everyone loves a bit of Roy Keane for example, someone who maybe goes a bit hard the other way (being deliberately edgy) but probably says what he actually thinks a lot more than BOD or Warburton. I'm trying to think of a rugby equivalent who I'd like to see and my brain just goes to Mike Phillips. He doesn't really do pundit work though other than a bit for S4C.
Ferris always digs the knife in on Ulster but will then go the other way with Ireland.

Maybe ROG but I've got this weird condition that whenever he speaks all I can hear is him saying "I'm a ******* ****" over and over.

Ye i watched this click bait too...

Noone was shocked by Warbs saying England will win, look at the squads, age, experience etc lol

England I'll win, for Wales success isnt winning the game, its key performance indicators to move forward development wise

The BBC counter Warbs with Jiffy screaming for Wales as the co-commentator every time "It's on".

Love BOD and Warbs. I actually quite liked Moore and his liberal use of "stupid" and "Brain Dead". Healy is ok as well. They are all marmite though, some absolutely hate them

Hahaha selective memory indeed lol. Glee my arse.

When I heard him speak about Neil Jenkins reaction I thought he had thrown him under the bus, but he would have spoken to Jenkins and discussed his answer.

He gave a legitimate scenario that IFW should heed, 5 English caps could be 30-50 Welsh caps. Maybe it was meant for IFW to hear, maybe not, but he in no way was disrespectful, and pretty much just bats the question away without interest.

What do you want him to do, cry on camera begging IFW to return home?
Ooh, sensitive. I'm sure that if Wales abolished the 25 cap rule then he'd have chosen Wales over England and maybe he would have got 30-50 caps. I'm not sure where I've suggested that Gatland should cry, begging on camera, but you do you.The fact remains that Gatland knows what he's doing with his 'grenades'

Love BOD and Warbs. I actually quite liked Moore and his liberal use of "stupid" and "Brain Dead".

Gotta love Pitbull!

When I'm watching a match I'm not too bothered about hearing the detailed technical stuff - obvs I want to know why certain things have happened or decisions made, but I have eyes and those can be dissected at half / full time or later. What I mainly want is someone who adds to the experience of watching and Moore called it exactly as he saw it. When he called out someone for advanced muppetry that's exactly what the viewers would have been thinking too.

Funnily enough the biggest grenade Gatland has thrown this week has been to challenge any Welsh fans who dare criticise Beard to come to the training ground to fight him man to man.

Ooh, sensitive. I'm sure that if Wales abolished the 25 cap rule then he'd have chosen Wales over England and maybe he would have got 30-50 caps. I'm not sure where I've suggested that Gatland should cry, begging on camera, but you do you.The fact remains that Gatland knows what he's doing with his

They dont need to abolish the 25 cap rule, they just needed to holistically supported him better and he would have studied in Wales and never left, hes a failing of all involved with the WRU. Gatland just isnt interested in talking about it, because it's not a situation he can control. Infact I believe hes wished him luck in the future.

I think @welsh Is right, GDS is an absolute thing on this thread lol

Funnily enough the biggest grenade Gatland has thrown this week has been to challenge any Welsh fans who dare criticise Beard to come to the training ground to fight him man to man.
Hes got about 5cm and maybe 7/8kg on me...

But if he doesnt buck up I'll get ready to take up that offer hahahaha

On a serious note, Gatland is one loyal bugger, he'll give Beard every chance to return to some form, and I probably agree with that decision. Let's just hope that it doesnt get worse and we end up with an Alex Cuthbert type situation.

I liked Gatland seems a decent guy.

It's not big or clever to throw grenades to get a reaction. He's in the six nations Kiwi - "I'm not quite good enough for the All Black's" club.

Equally it's not the poor blokes fault there are no welsh coaches good enough for the Wales job.

Hes got about 5cm and maybe 7/8kg on me...

But if he doesnt buck up I'll get ready to take up that offer hahahaha

On a serious note, Gatland is one loyal bugger, he'll give Beard every chance to return to some form, and I probably agree with that decision. Let's just hope that it doesnt get worse and we end up with an Alex Cuthbert type situation.
Daf Jenkins was bigging him up behind the scenes as well (as you'd expect any player would when talking about a teammate) and obviously, if what Gatland says is right about how he tears down the house in training, then he sounds like a good guy to have around for sure but I'm sorry you can't ignore what goes on in the pitch either both at international and regional level especially when we have got some good young players with potential. If in the short to medium term we're gong to see him move down to the bench so that Rowlands and Jenkins are our first choice pairing then happy days, after that I would like to see him slip down to 4th/5th in place of a Fender, Carter, Rhys Davies or Teddy Williams but that's further down the line. I get why Gatland is extra protective of him as he's one of his favourites and I obviously hope Beard goes up a level or 2 and smashes it but I think even Gatland knows that won't happen.

Latest posts