• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] England vs Ireland - 09/03/24

I can see some sense in what your saying, I also for once watched a bit of the pod and dare I say it Goode made some sense, he reference England playing this conservative kicking game and how that hadn't given England much success against Ireland recently, he also mention that the single game Ireland lost was to the ABs who played with such tempo both teams were out on their feet for the last 5 - 10 minutes and perhaps that's the way to beat them. I don't think for a minute we have the composure ball in hand to make that happen or probably the fitness but it was an interesting point.
As a funny side note, Gatland referenced that NZ game too, and said Wales needed to get out hard and fast... well that went well hahaha

Ryan is out injured and has been playing well but I think Henderson is the better bench option here regardless for this 1. Just think his skillset is what is needed.
Six months ago I'd have said it would be insane to pick Henderson ahead of Ryan, but he had a very impressive RWC and I suspect it's a horses for courses selection. He brings more of a physical impact than Ryan, even if his nuts and bolts aren't as good. I think Baird pace and mobility, along with Conans all round game, gives Faz more space for a trench fighter.
Some mental gymnastics here I think lads! I was disgusted before seeing it was an injury. I think Ryan's injury in early October is precisely why we're not World Cup winners / runners up.

Care's dream - leading team out, soaking up rapturous applause from 80,000 for 20 seconds by himself before scoring a solo try as England complete the 4th leg of a GS.

Care's reality - no-one notices as he slopes on to the field in the 78th minute at 3 - 34 down.

100 caps is a fine achievement but I'd love to know the match equivalent of minutes actually played. 35, 40 maybe?

Care's dream - leading team out, soaking up rapturous applause from 80,000 for 20 seconds by himself before scoring a solo try as England complete the 4th leg of a GS.

Care's reality - no-one notices as he slopes on to the field in the 78th minute at 3 - 34 down.

100 caps is a fine achievement but I'd love to know the match equivalent of minutes actually played. 35, 40 maybe?
In his last 59 games he's averages 38 mins

I'm surprised that Ringrose didn't even make the bench. This time last year I considered him to be the best outside centre in the game and the lynchpin of the Irish defence. Does the 6/2 split make such a difference that he ends up watching from the stand?

Some mental gymnastics here I think lads! I was disgusted before seeing it was an injury. I think Ryan's injury in early October is precisely why we're not World Cup winners / runners up.

Re Ryan, that is a massive assumption. For me leaving a visibly exhausted Sexton on the pitch for the final 15 minutes against NZ was a far bigger factor

I'm surprised that Ringrose didn't even make the bench. This time last year I considered him to be the best outside centre in the game and the lynchpin of the Irish defence. Does the 6/2 split make such a difference that he ends up watching from the stand?

6/2 is the deciding factor, along with the absence of Hansen, as Murray would be the probable 10 if Frawley wasn't picked on the bench.

Re Ryan, that is a massive assumption. For me leaving a visibly exhausted Sexton on the pitch for the final 15 minutes against NZ was a far bigger factor
Hmmm, damage was done way before 65mins and an exhausted Sexton still led a 60m charge up the pitch that was only ended when a forward isolated himself on a hasty pick and go. NZ destroyed us at the breakdown and with VDF having increased carrying duties before Big Joe's emergence, Ryan hit more rucks than anyone.

Similarly Leinster went from dominating the breakdown to not having a foothold following Ryan's injury in last year's final. His dirty work is massively under appreciated imo.

It's nothing against Ryan. I just think Henderson is a bit bitter with a point to prove. And when he is like this he is the better player for the skillset needed on Saturday. I wouldn't say Ryan was difference last October unfortunately and if Ryan was fit and selected on bench Saturday I'd have no issue either. I just have an uneasy feeling on Saturday and do think a Henderson that performs is a key cog in the trenches.

Hmmm, damage was done way before 65mins and an exhausted Sexton still led a 60m charge up the pitch that was only ended when a forward isolated himself on a hasty pick and go. NZ destroyed us at the breakdown and with VDF having increased carrying duties before Big Joe's emergence, Ryan hit more rucks than anyone.

Similarly Leinster went from dominating the breakdown to not having a foothold following Ryan's injury in last year's final. His dirty work is massively under appreciated imo.
It was a plod rather than a charge, and Sexton was static for practically all of it. The match was there to be won in the last 10/15 minutes regardless of what damage had been done before, as NZ were also out on their feet. I agree that Ryan is a superb player but it is a massive leap imo to suggest his loss was instrumental in us losing to NZ.

All the game data I could find shows in 60 games, starting in 24 of them, he played 2,258 minutes an average of 38 a game. I realise that it is incomplete but is indicative.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the (hopefully long) odds on three home wins is worth a quid?
Three underdogs all playing at home - England, Wales, Italy. I can easily see one of them causing an upset.
Admittedly for all three to win, it might take some kind of combination of multiple red cards and tornadoes and plague-of-locusts.

For the second week on the trot they had to repost it but I'm not sure what the error was this time.

Positives:
Feyi-Waboso starts. He might be the explosive spark that England need in attack. I just hope he's allowed to play his natural game, because that's what he does best.
Mitchell starting should hopefully be an improvement over Care and Spencer last week.
I like Martin starting for Roots, we need his bulk in the pack.

Unsures:
I feel like Cole and Genge and Stuart and Marler is Borthwick trying to compensate for two weaker players at the scrum. Not sure it's working though based on the Scotland game.
Furbank is still a question mark for me. He finished off a try nicely against Scotland, but then didn't really have a huge impact after that.

Negatives:
I still feel like the back row is completely unbalanced and we need a proper 7. Underhill has always been more of a hard hitting 6 for me. Yes he can turn the ball over, but it's not his biggest strength. Chessum hasn't played great this tournament and putting him in a 6 doesn't feel like it will help him. It might strengthen the line out, but I'm worried we'll just keep turning the ball over at the ruck. Further CCS and Dombrandt coming on doesn't help. I feel we could well see a back row of CCS, Earl and Dombrandt. Again it doesn't feel balanced to me. (I know Earl and Dombrandt can get turnovers, but that's in the premiership, not international level).
Ford is still starting, but I'll give SB some leeway as Smith is just returning.
Daly on the bench. I get that he's a utility player who can play anywhere, but I just don't see him making an impact and it feels like a waste.

I'm not expecting a win, but I'm hoping we might see an improvement in attack with Feyi-Waboso. My only worry is he'll make a break and the rest of our players will not be with him to support.

It's nothing against Ryan. I just think Henderson is a bit bitter with a point to prove. And when he is like this he is the better player for the skillset needed on Saturday. I wouldn't say Ryan was difference last October unfortunately and if Ryan was fit and selected on bench Saturday I'd have no issue either. I just have an uneasy feeling on Saturday and do think a Henderson that performs is a key cog in the trenches.

It was a plod rather than a charge, and Sexton was static for practically all of it. The match was there to be won in the last 10/15 minutes regardless of what damage had been done before, as NZ were also out on their feet. I agree that Ryan is a superb player but it is a massive leap imo to suggest his loss was instrumental in us losing to NZ.

I disagree needless to say! But diving deeper will only make me sad and achieves nothing so happy to park here.

I'm increasingly pessimistic about Saturday too tbh. Think we might fall a bit flat as the rebuild shows some cracks.

Think the guy is absolute quality- he'd be a shoo in for England. A mainstay of the Irish success for me is their midfield supremacy- very, very rarely do they ever lose momentum - they keep punching holes, grabbing a yard and keeping you guessing.

Ollie Chessum at 6? Surely he lacks the ground speed for that. Sure it gives us some carry threat but I think Cunningham-South is very unlucky not to start there.

Again Itoje looking undroppable despite not having the sort of impact I'd expect from him. (Love him but think he needs taking out of the fire- it never hurt Dallaglio et al from time to time, it was a way to get the best out of them)

I disagree needless to say! But diving deeper will only make me sad and achieves nothing so happy to park here.

I'm increasingly pessimistic about Saturday too tbh. Think we might fall a bit flat as the rebuild shows some cracks.
And don't get me wrong I am not say Ryan wasn't good just too much went wrong that 1 performance wouldn't have reversed that day.
As was said the Sexton call as well as others were massive bad calls also.

On Saturday - I just think England have 1 huge performance that they need to pull out of the bag and I do think it is here.
I like Frawley but he is not up to international level as a 10 or 15 and I fear this could be a very tough game for Nash.
Murray could be brilliant or terrible when on but it 1 that a few things could go wrong very fast if 1 or 2 injuries occur.
Keenan we need to be fit. There is mumbling he is named but still not 100% clear and Ringrose will be in.

No-one's mention Dombrandt on the bench?

I've personally given up on him as taking the step up to international level (sadly, along with Slade); but if we're emptying the bench after 60odd minutes and CCS, Care and MSmith are all coming on, then I guess it makes sense.

Generally though, I think that team is as good as could realistically have been selected - even if it's not what I'd have done.

Again Itoje looking undroppable despite not having the sort of impact I'd expect from him. (Love him but think he needs taking out of the fire- it never hurt Dallaglio et al from time to time, it was a way to get the best out of them)
He's been one of the few shining lights for us this 6N - are you sure you're not thinking of 2023 Itoje? (when in retrospect, it looks like he was being charged with doing all the unseen, grunt-work, and not being in position, or having the energy for his more eye-catching stuff - and looked like he needed a couple of matches on the bench to reignite him)

Latest posts