• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] England vs Ireland - 09/03/24

There are 2 trains of thought about beating this Irish team...

1. Deny them a platform. Target the set peice, be solid under a high ball and kick well.

2. slow that God damn ruck ball down.

I think SB's conservative gameplan gives them the best chance of victory here. For me Steward has to start, his ability in the air is too important against this kicking team.

If SB stays strong with his vision I think England are in with a chance, if he is pressured to select more exciting options then England are doomed
I can see some sense in what your saying, I also for once watched a bit of the pod and dare I say it Goode made some sense, he reference England playing this conservative kicking game and how that hadn't given England much success against Ireland recently, he also mention that the single game Ireland lost was to the ABs who played with such tempo both teams were out on their feet for the last 5 - 10 minutes and perhaps that's the way to beat them. I don't think for a minute we have the composure ball in hand to make that happen or probably the fitness but it was an interesting point.

The Heaslip podcast thing distracts from his actual most unhinged South Dublin moment

No room for a fit Ryan or Ringrose is wild depth.

Six months ago I'd have said it would be insane to pick Henderson ahead of Ryan, but he had a very impressive RWC and I suspect it's a horses for courses selection. He brings more of a physical impact than Ryan, even if his nuts and bolts aren't as good. I think Baird pace and mobility, along with Conans all round game, gives Faz more space for a trench fighter.

I do wonder if the rumours that Borthwick is not a total fan of his personality are somewhat true.
I mean the dude spent like 2 years as hid starting 15 and was basically his whole game plan

I feel like people just say that about every player who gets dropped

I'm pretty happy with that team. Glad to see FW get a chance to show what he can do. Good balance in the backs. Glad we didn't go for all out power with Manu and Laurence. Also I rate Slade. Surprised about Furbank but not upset by it. England have everything on the pitch they need to run Ireland hard, it's whether it all clicks on the day. The lads are going to need to be super aggressive. They have to win the collisions, if they don't, and end up constantly on the wrong side after contact it will penalty after penalty, or there won't be enough people in the defensive line for it to hold.
Also got to hold the scrum solid. I'm not sure we've got enough power in there to beat the Irish back so we need to honest about that and just get the pill out of the scrum fast or risk endless turn overs.
Shame the weather isn't looking too great, but you can't have everything.

I'd have Steward in but it at least means some consistency of thought with Furbank. Even if it's wrong thought.

Good to see IFW and Martin. Chessum's a good player but not wholly convinced by him as a 6.

Not sure why Genge & Marler aren't the other way round.

Overall not hugely surprising or inspiring but that's where we are.

Ryan is out injured and has been playing well but I think Henderson is the better bench option here regardless for this 1. Just think his skillset is what is needed.
This was the team that was very much out there since late last week. I hope Keenan is flying fit as that is the key spot and don't want to loose a man early.

Itoje, Martin, Chessum looks like they're going to be targeting the Irish lineout.

Not enthused about no Steward, but we know what he can do, so might as well give Furbank a chance to show his club form and give the backs a bit of consistency - Mitchell returning from injury and IFW in for Daly not being something I'll ever complain about.

Roots dropped completely and Dombrandt in is interesting.

For the second week on the trot they had to repost it but I'm not sure what the error was this time.

As saod Stewert is what i would have expected but seems SB prefers a more attacking playmaking FB. Hope Furbank goes well.

Other than that im happy with the team except for 6? Why must be a lineout thing but start CCS and put Chessum at 19.

Latest posts