• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] England vs Ireland - 09/03/24

Eoin will be playing 23 for Leinster and Ireland from Autumn 2026.
Are we prepared for predominantly South Africans on Twitter and Instagram to have TWO jokes against us though?

They can choose from the deep well of 'Quarter Final' and 'Tackle that happened 6 years ago'.

Are we prepared for predominantly South Africans on Twitter and Instagram to have TWO jokes against us though?

They can choose from the deep well of 'Quarter Final' and 'Tackle that happened 6 years ago'.
South Africa are better than us at rugby. Sheep don't concern themselves with the opinions of Lions.

Telegraph say Feyi-Waboso to start for England. Martin might also start and Mitchell might replace Care. Smith might be on the bench with Ford starting. Borthwick hasn't decided fully and won't till tomorrow morning. He has to decide between keeping Furbank or restoring Steward

Would be happy with all of those

Imagine they're all basically penned in with the exception of Martin - gonna be really interesting to see what happens there
Last week he came on for a flanker - do they do the same this week but from the off?

Chris Foy reckons Furbank starts

Be interesting to see who's in the 23 shirt - will almost definitely be Daly as he's tailor made for that shirt, but with M.Smith covering 15 could SB go for Tuilagi there? (or Roebuck)

Would be happy with all of those

Imagine they're all basically penned in with the exception of Martin - gonna be really interesting to see what happens there
Last week he came on for a flanker - do they do the same this week but from the off?
Guardian say Roots will drop out for Martin.

Guardian say Roots will drop out for Martin.

Makes sense although we'll have to see whether it's a direct replacement or involves a positional shift for Itoje or Chessum. Personally I like Martin at 6 although he and Itoje would be the stronger scrummaging row.

Sounds like IFW will start. Great, he's an exciting player. But if he does, give him the bloody ball, there's no point in just asking him to chase kicks. Arundell started v Ire on the wing last year and just looked like a passenger.

There are 2 trains of thought about beating this Irish team...

1. Deny them a platform. Target the set peice, be solid under a high ball and kick well.

2. slow that God damn ruck ball down.

I think SB's conservative gameplan gives them the best chance of victory here. For me Steward has to start, his ability in the air is too important against this kicking team.

If SB stays strong with his vision I think England are in with a chance, if he is pressured to select more exciting options then England are doomed

Makes sense although we'll have to see whether it's a direct replacement or involves a positional shift for Itoje or Chessum. Personally I like Martin at 6 although he and Itoje would be the stronger scrummaging row.

Sounds like IFW will start. Great, he's an exciting player. But if he does, give him the bloody ball, there's no point in just asking him to chase kicks. Arundell started v Ire on the wing last year and just looked like a passenger.
I hope Martin goes to 5 (or 4 but scrummages at 5) - he's by far our best tighthead lock option in the squad

As I said Monday - On Point:
Possible Ireland team to face England: C Frawley/ H Keenan; C Nash, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Lowe; J Crowley, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, D Sheehan, T Furlong; J McCarthy, T Beirne; P O'Mahony (capt), J van der Flier, C Doris. Reps: R Kelleher, C Healy, F Bealham, J Ryan, R Baird, J Conan, C Murray, G Ringrose/C Frawley.

Keenan does fitness test today.

Much like arguing with one's wife; there are 3 principal theories for beating Ireland.
None of them work.
Teams have successfully rattled us at the set piece in the past. Lineout is ultimately why we lost against NZ and England have had joy against us in the scrum in recent years. We seem to have definitely steadied the ship this year though.

As I said Monday - On Point:
Possible Ireland team to face England: C Frawley/ H Keenan; C Nash, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Lowe; J Crowley, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, D Sheehan, T Furlong; J McCarthy, T Beirne; P O'Mahony (capt), J van der Flier, C Doris. Reps: R Kelleher, C Healy, F Bealham, J Ryan, R Baird, J Conan, C Murray, G Ringrose/C Frawley.

Keenan does fitness test today.
Kind of picks itself barring injury. We could really do with Keenan. England will lump high balls at us all day, likely at Nash. Presume if Keenan fits Frawley benches and if not Ringrose benches.

For me Steward has to start, his ability in the air is too important against this kicking team.

I agree with that. But if that happens then what was the point of Furbank v Sco?

And then all the press are saying IFW will start over Daly so that would be 2 changes in the back 3 and it's not like Freeman has Watson like levels of experience to compensate.

Tinkering with opponent specific moves and selections is probably OK if you're working from a base of a settled, successful team. But otherwise, unless it yields results, it just looks muddled. And if there's one thing this Eng set up needs it's clarity.

I agree with that. But if that happens then what was the point of Furbank v Sco?

And then all the press are saying IFW will start over Daly so that would be 2 changes in the back 3 and it's not like Freeman has Watson like levels of experience to compensate.

Tinkering with opponent specific moves and selections is probably OK if you're working from a base of a settled, successful team. But otherwise, unless it yields results, it just looks muddled. And if there's one thing this Eng set up needs it's clarity.
I get it, but England arent settled, and wont be until they force it. Ireland are benefitting now from that work done 4/5 years ago.

Englands current issue is too much high quality players, SB is constantly pressured to shoe horn in this weeks media darling.

Latest posts