• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(2022 Rugby Championship - Round 3) - South Africa v Australia (27/8/2022)

WaterboySA

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Blue Bulls
Springbok team:
15 Damian Willemse, 14 Warrick Gelant, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Makazole Mapimpi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Joseph Dweba, 1 Ox Nche
Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Franco Mostert, 20 Kwagga Smith, 21 Jaden Hendrikse, 22 Elton Jantjies, 23 Frans Steyn

2 Joseph Dweba
lol

Surprised Faf is back so soon - it was a heavy heavy collision, even if he's passed all his protocols you'd have thought airing on the side of caution for the rest of the summer might be better in the long term

Two flyhalves on your bench, with the utility player a much better 10 than the actual reserve 10....but you still include them both.

If you are going to play Gelant and Willemse then I'd love to see them in their Stormers positions of 12 and 15 as I think the Bok backs would be electric in that formation. DDA is getting on a bit, isn't a distributor of the ball and I'd argue you dont need a strong ball carrying centre so much when your entire pack is as sturdy as the Bok one.

Kind of a weird bench but should still be far too strong for this Wallabies side who are in complete disarray and wernt very good to begin with.

If you are going to play Gelant and Willemse then I'd love to see them in their Stormers positions of 12 and 15 as I think the Bok backs would be electric in that formation. DDA is getting on a bit, isn't a distributor of the ball and I'd argue you dont need a strong ball carrying centre so much when your entire pack is as sturdy as the Bok one.
You read my mind. DDA has been a bit meh in green. But then you'll miss someone who can do the explosive carrying midfield when the defenses are up and where Stormers use our loosies in Roos and Dayimani in the 10/12 channels, the Bokke won't get the line/tackle breaks those two get from our get-fit-on-the-job Bok loose trio and which the Stormers loosies might struggle to get in test rugby themselves in any case. I'd still back a combination of 12 Willemse, 13 Am, 15 Gelant to get things going. That we are even considering this and SA needing a kicking 9 all points to the fact that it all has to make up for the fact that we don't have a world class 10 in SA. Pollard has lost quite a few tricks since his early years and I shudder to imagine Jantjies coming on to replace him.

Kind of a weird bench but should still be far too strong for this Wallabies side who are in complete disarray and wernt very good to begin with.
I wouldn't count on anything though. Wallabies have had the number of better recent Bok sides touring Down Under.

You read my mind. DDA has been a bit meh in green. But then you'll miss someone who can do the explosive carrying midfield when the defenses are up and where Stormers use our loosies in Roos and Dayimani in the 10/12 channels, the Bokke won't get the line/tackle breaks those two get from our get-fit-on-the-job Bok loose trio and which the Stormers loosies might struggle to get in test rugby themselves in any case. I'd still back a combination of 12 Willemse, 13 Am, 15 Gelant to get things going. That we are even considering this and SA needing a kicking 9 all points to the fact that it all has to make up for the fact that we don't have a world class 10 in SA. Pollard has lost quite a few tricks since his early years and I shudder to imagine Jantjies coming on to replace him.

I wouldn't count on anything though. Wallabies have had the number of better recent Bok sides touring Down Under.
No Hooper, Quade or Kerevi - no win.

Two flyhalves on your bench, with the utility player a much better 10 than the actual reserve 10....but you still include them both.
Not to mention having other players in the starting lineup who can cover fly half.

Not to mention having other players in the starting lineup who can cover fly half.
Calling Steyn a reserve flyhalf is generous. He can cover it in an emergency, but the Boks would slide in Willemse and Elton in that spot before turning to Frans.

So they could barely beat you in the Pieter de villiers years, when they had pocock.
What would you attribute this to?
Usually I would say springboks not caring about beating aus. It's not the World Cup, and it's not the all blacks. No one has ever really cared about eg rugby championship, no matter what they say. But looking at that record and knowing how bad they were during some of that time, they clearly got up for those games as they nearly won them with no right. Later in, eg last year, bubble fatigue had no doubt had set in by then, and they'd come off playing the lions and the all blacks so was time for a rest. Not I mention quads and kerevi and hooper were there and playing well.

It certainly has been an interesting rivalry throughout the professional era, it's very much 50 50

What would you attribute this to?
I don't know, every year I think we are going to beat them home and away and every year they manage to sneak a win against us at their home. We generally also run up the score against them when playing in SA, but their alternative style of attack seems to bother the South African defensive system much more than many teams IMO. But I think we ought to pull away in future years now with European rugby and the Aussies isolated, then again as I said I have been irrationally confident in previous years so you need to acknowledge that Australia has a fair chance on Saturday.

So they could barely beat you in the Pieter de villiers years, when they had pocock.

Usually I would say springboks not caring about beating aus. It's not the World Cup, and it's not the all blacks. No one has ever really cared about eg rugby championship, no matter what they say. But looking at that record and knowing how bad they were during some of that time, they clearly got up for those games as they nearly won them with no right. Later in, eg last year, bubble fatigue had no doubt had set in by then, and they'd come off playing the lions and the all blacks so was time for a rest. Not I mention quads and kerevi and hooper were there and playing well.

It certainly has been an interesting rivalry throughout the professional era, it's very much 50 50
I love the Tri-Nations and I love the Rugby championship. It's a goal to win all trophies, the Nelson Mandela cup does not mean anything to me, nice to beat Australia away, expected to beat them at home. The TRI Nations used to put fear into me, just pure tough games between the three teams with the most World Cups. Argentina has been a welcome addition considering the close Sa/Arg relationship

Even with the aforementioned weird bench the Springboks will win.

Last edited:
Calling Steyn a reserve flyhalf is generous. He can cover it in an emergency, but the Boks would slide in Willemse and Elton in that spot before turning to Frans.
Steyn is a great 10. The fact that he's also a great 15 doesn't change that. No generosity in calling him a 10.

Looks like Radelaide will be about 75% full. Not bad considering they don't know what rugby is and they also don't have a rectangular field in the entire state.

Last edited:
Looks like Radelaide will be about 75% full. Not bad considering they don't know what rugby is and they also don't have a rectangular field in the entire state.
What is the city like? Looks like a nice place to retire.

Latest posts