• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(2022 Rugby Championship - Round 4) - Australia V South Africa (03/9/2022)

Could there have been a worse advert for the game in Aus? **** me what a **** show.

Wallabies absolute puss. Okeefe puss. The Saffas being **** blokes at the end?

Puss. It was all puss.

Happy with the win, happy with the fact we scored tries. Feel we are way too reluctant to go for poles to get the scoreboard ticking over. Moodie did decently on debut, Hendrikse also continued to do well as scrum half. Finally got a bit of attacking momentum, but still need to get more consistent. Defense was a lot better as well. Felt more in line with the NZ first game.

One thing that bothered me in the game is something I was raising as an issue during the URC/Premiership in comparison to Super Rugby. Head contact was officiated so leniently in SR and that has carried over into the URC as well. Realistically there should have been a lot more cards in this game, for both teams. Kolisi had a high shot on someone (even if they were falling) and an Aus player had to go for a HIA after making head on head contact tackling Kolisi.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want our matches covered in cards for this (in the medium/long term). I want cards in the short run so that players are coached out of going too high where they can make a mistake and then have head contact.

This is also not a games gone soft topic, this is a long term sustainability of the game situation. There are too many ex-players coming out with brain issues 10-20 years after retirement. Lawsuits are going to hurt union and the momentum on it is still pretty nascent.

I believe we should select Bok teams to contest and win every test match. Prepping for a WC every 4 years in not what fans want. Be consistently good like the AB's used to be and if we win a WC that's a bonus. Nienaber can keep his "big picture" strategy! We must select and play to win!
This attitude is a bit binary, I don't want my team to sacrifice all non WC games for the four year cycle, but if at some intervals they want to fine tune things build some depth I don't see it as an issue, you have to remember covid robbed us of a fair bit of game time so this WC cycle is an odd one.

Ref was horrible. Some Aussies lucky to not get carded for head shots. Springboks lucky to not get carded for repeat infringements. Kolisi good, Wiese good. Dour game really.

So a comfortable Aus win is followed by a comfortable Bok win, underlining why nobody had a clue what might happen.

Was any the Bok improvement remotely attributable to Willemse or not so much? He seems to have got a good write up and with Pollard out for the rest of the tournament I'd like to think the 10 shirt will be his for the next couple of games.

The rubbishness of the game didnt translate into the highlights, a couple of nice tries from open play.

Springboks steamrolled the Wallabies. I went 1 for 2 this weekend, which has been my average so far. I'm glad I don't gamble. 😜

Last edited:
So... faf gets carded for accidentally and softly swiping with an open palm the bottom of whites face when white was moving away from the scrum super fast after faf starting the motion of his arm (presumably the card was because there was danger to the eye, can't think of another valid reason), and 7 As deliberately scratches at etzebeths eyes and gets nothing.

They could have carded etzebeth too if they wanted but 7As for sure should have been carded.

So a comfortable Aus win is followed by a comfortable Bok win, underlining why nobody had a clue what might happen.

Was any the Bok improvement remotely attributable to Willemse or not so much? He seems to have got a good write up and with Pollard out for the rest of the tournament I'd like to think the 10 shirt will be his for the next couple of games.

The rubbishness of the game didnt translate into the highlights, a couple of nice tries from open play.
I think most of it was down to aussie getting all the rub of the green game 1 but the ref being pedantic game 2 and us getting allowed to kill the Aus attack on our line without penalty so pretty much non competition in both games unfortunately. And I thought URC refereeing was poor.

In a world with consistent refereeing I say SA takes game one and two both but the 2nd one by a smaller margin.

SA vs NZ more so than the refereeing came down to SA making those ankle taps etc and getting 2 tries off of NZ mistakes and literally everything going our way. That's not going to happen most of the time.

The margins are fine is all.

I still expect Ireland and France to be the form sides in the world but on the right day anyone can win. We and NZ have also not been putting our top sides out.

Last edited:
Koroibete is a brilliant player but not even getting in the air to catch that high ball that led to Moodie's try was disgraceful.

Koroibete is a brilliant player but not even getting in the air to catch that high ball that led to Moodie's try was disgraceful.
He was injured but there was no sub.

We lost our 10 and 12 to injury early, Tupou never came on.

Throw in no Hooper, Kerevi, Quade etc and we never stood a chance. I think any team in the top 10 would have beaten us under those circumstances.

Nic White was just terrible. All the pre-game chat must have got to him.

Only have one complaint about O'Keefe - we conceded a yellow after four straight penalties in our 22. South Africa had 7 and no card. I think they need to implement a counter for these infringements because the refs are almost never consistent about it.

Last edited:
I havnt wanted a win quite so much in a while - just to wind up the Boks moaning fans.

I hope we win by a single point on the back of something reeeeeal controversial just to see the collective implosion.

This must hurt like a *****

Only have one complaint about O'Keefe - we conceded a yellow after four straight penalties in our 22. South Africa had 7 and no card. I think they need to implement a counter for these infringements because the refs are almost never consistent about it.
This I think is fair, something like a count of 3 with a warning on the 3rd and the 4th is a card for penalties in the 22. Maybe give refs a little leeway if there was a big gap between the warning and the next infringement (eg say 20 minutes had pass the ref would be allowed to re-issue the warning rather than instant card).

I mean - not really. We've been bad for a while. Plus I win the moral high ground by not blaming the ref.
Calling a ref bad and blaming a ref for a loss are two different things. We would have lost regardless of what the ref did, but that doesn't make rubbish calls immune from scrutiny. To this day there is only one referee I will ever blame for a loss, and most South Africans will know who that was, and which game it was.

Calling a ref bad and blaming a ref for a loss are two different things. We would have lost regardless of what the ref did, but that doesn't make rubbish calls immune from scrutiny. To this day there is only one referee I will ever blame for a loss, and most South Africans will know who that was, and which game it was.
Yeah right I see. Sometimes it's hard to make out the nuance given the cacophony of ref based wailing that eminates out of South Africa following every loss (and even some wins).

Last edited:
Yeah right I see. Sometimes it's hard to make out the nuance given the cacophony of ref based wailing that eminates out of South Africa following every loss (and even some wins).
SA has, undoubtedly, the dumbest supporters of any team in the world. It's embarrassing reading comments from SA fans on social media pages and the like. There are a pod of us who take the game seriously, know the laws, and respect other teams but the majority of us are a bunch of imbeciles who make me cringe. They are the ones ref this ref that quota player this quota player that non stop. We can only apologize for them I suppose. :(