• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] Ireland vs England (02/02/2019)

Also, on the game:

I take back basically everything I said pregame haha.

Centre partnership worked very well, I really hope this means we don't see Teo again. Tuilagi is infinitely more effective and Slade looked infinitely better alongside him.
Daly didn't look a world beater at the back however he did well enough and only messed up once under the high ball (that I remember?). Ireland kinda played into our hands on this by targeting our wings with their kicking game, rather than fullback - May and Nowell are both pretty good under the high ball so it made no sense, really.

Farrell put in a big showing and hopefully calmed a lot of peoples fears about him as our first choice 10 going forwards.
Daly only dropped one, but a couple of times he was hesitant coming forward and didn't go for balls that Brown or Kearney would have. Still not convinced he's the answer there, but that team deserves another shot en masse.

Faz's mindset was shown by his decision to go for that longish pen himself and not give it to Daly. Ballsy and he nailed it. Real leadership.

Listen, if England play like they did today there's no doubt we will have a tough old day... what I will say is Wales won't play that bad again (the France performance) this 6N.

My point was more that Wales might struggle to find some form ahead of the game with a weak Italy team and a break, so that they aren't tested to see if they put the first weekend behind them. I still think they will play better, but they might still be a bit rusty if they don't get a decent workout against Italy.

My point was more that Wales might struggle to find some form ahead of the game with a weak Italy team and a break, so that they aren't tested to see if they put the first weekend behind them. I still think they will play better, but they might still be a bit rusty if they don't get a decent workout against Italy.

I get your point... we are notoriously slow starters mind. Saying that, that start we had last night still shocked us.

Daly only dropped one, but a couple of times he was hesitant coming forward and didn't go for balls that Brown or Kearney would have. Still not convinced he's the answer there, but that team deserves another shot en masse.

Faz's mindset was shown by his decision to go for that longish pen himself and not give it to Daly. Ballsy and he nailed it. Real leadership.

I am hoping Daly gets better with time as I said before he is the kind that can turn it around, as for Faz if he could work on not Winding up refs and improve tackling those tackle moments he could become a very solid leader.

To beat Ireland in Dublin you have to get into their forwards early and wind them up.

When POM called Sinkler an effing c-u-n-t you knew the game was won

Listen, if England play like they did today there's no doubt we will have a tough old day... what I will say is Wales won't play that bad again (the France performance) this 6N.

And, to be fair, its not often that a side winning the GS or the championship, and then beating the ABs, have it easy the following year. Ireland have been on top and were due a reality check. Today they got that. It opens up this competition nicely! Having said that, Ireland did screw up my treble with BetFred! Had this match been in England I would have had England down for the win. Hey ho!

Looking forward to what Schmidt builds off this, Ireland were very much built off the two recent New Zealand losses, what lessons can we learn from this.

And, to be fair, its not often that a side winning the GS or the championship, and then beating the ABs, have it easy the following year. Ireland have been on top and were due a reality check. Today they got that. It opens up this competition nicely! Having said that, Ireland did screw up my treble with BetFred! Had this match been in England I would have had England down for the win. Hey ho!

Although your right (and that's why there hasn't been a double slam in the modern era) it still comes as a bit if a shock.

By half time I already thought the game was won tbh as you could see the Irish were flustered. I was already thinking about the France game and that we are going to have to rethink our gameplan against a massive French pack.

Haven't see Manu play in ages (don't follow club rugby) but he looked far less bulky to when I last saw him play 5 years ago.

I usually root for the smaller nation but it's hard to begrudge England when they play with ambition. Nice to see and underlines 2018 as a freak year. Who is their attack / backs coach? Would they like to swap for Mike Catt?

I've been banging on about England needing ball handlers at centre and that Teo and Joseph were a creative dead end. I think that was the big change in this game.

Ireland seemed to have the wind taken from their sails by the early try and it reinforces the stereotype that Ireland are amazing frontrunners but not built for playing catchup. I'd use the rest of the tournament as a way to test combinations for the RWC as the BP for England effectively puts them out of sight. No need for panic or to throw out the baby with the bath water. We all have our off days.

I can't wait till the old-guard of rugby commentators disappear... Wilkinson, o'Dricoll, Gareth Thomas he wasn't on this weekend, but very good) and Paul O'Connell are miles ahead of the usual.

Surprised Mako got MoM. I'd have given it to May.

Even though Manu and Binny weren't at their very barnstorming best, their physicality means people can't take liberties with us. And hats off to Wilson and Curry too.

I'd also have gone for May. Was already thinking that before he set up a try with a perfect kick off his wrong foot at full pace

Re: 2nd para - shows the value of power runners, even in a game without line breaks because both defended were well organised, the ability to bend the line and suck in defenders and generate quick ball is priceless.
Also, on the game:

Centre partnership worked very well, I really hope this means we don't see Teo again. Tuilagi is infinitely more effective and Slade looked infinitely better alongside him.
Daly didn't look a world beater at the back however he did well enough and only messed up once under the high ball (that I remember?). Ireland kinda played into our hands on this by targeting our wings with their kicking game, rather than fullback - May and Nowell are both pretty good under the high ball so it made no sense, really.

Farrell put in a big showing and hopefully calmed a lot of peoples fears about him as our first choice 10 going forwards.
I'm backing Faz for next week but reserve the right to change my mind!

Midfield looked perfectly balanced for the style of play, that doesn't always translate to being the right choice every game but I am definitely willing to give it a chance. If we can keep controlling games like that then yeah, it's a great threesome.

Daly didn't get exposed because they didn't kick to him much and when they did he did OK. Although no horrendous stops, I felt he looked shaky with a couple of the ones he did catch, a couple couldveadily have slipped out and I'm far from convinced he's not a liability ...

I'll begrudgingly give Slade another go.

Farrell problem has always been who to play inside him. So yeah let him stay.

Still think Ford, Farrell, Manu is a better shout.

I think Joseph would be better than Slade as well.

Totally. I was horrified when he stepped up for that as Ireland could still have taken the match and Daly was a much safer bet but changed my mind hard

Also, on the game:

This really. I'm with @TRF_Olyy and his selections most of the time but today worked. It worked very well.

I'm drunk. I might leave this thread to the morning. I've handed out so many likes

To beat Ireland in Dublin you have to get into their forwards early and wind them up.

When POM called Sinkler an effing c-u-n-t you knew the game was won
In fairness POM is the easiest person the wind up ever.

Latest posts