• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] France vs Scotland (23/02/2019)

A disgraceful performance from Scotland. So many unforced errors (who taught Grigg how to carry a rugby ball), lazy tracking in defence, half hearted support running, contesting a high ball without jumping for it.

Dreading our visit to Twickers, England will put 50 on us.
Didn't deal particularly well with kicks in behind, which doesn't bode well for Twickenham

Didn't deal particularly well with kicks in behind, which doesn't bode well for Twickenham
Spot on, we didn't. Given the back 3 was our most "intact" part of the pitch relative to our first XV, that's not acceptable.

Spot on, we didn't. Given the back 3 was our most "intact" part of the pitch relative to our first XV, that's not acceptable.
FWIW I do think "disgraceful" was too strong a word though. Disappointing certainly

FWIW I do think "disgraceful" was too strong a word though. Disappointing certainly
There were too many instances where our players were jogging around the park. First France try for instance, the camera behind the posts showed we had 5-6 players still sauntering back from when France got in behind. When we had linebreaks there was no one on the shoulder and so we conceded turnovers

As I thought, the Scottish pack did well to retain the ball, and that's a real positive that explains the promising territory and possession stats.

As I also thought, the Scottish backs selected are just not of an international class in attack or defence and they couldn't score 13 points despite the platforms the pack was giving them. The exception being Kinghorn - who is developing consistency.

I think they all tried their best, but they are club players. Put the starters, on form, behind that pack and Scotland will be competitive. The only things I'd criticise are Laidlaw (literally walking for much of the first half, Price brought the required urgency later) and the lineout (presumably most of the blame lying with the consistently inconsistent McInally).

France did decent, they could easily have scored 40 points, and that's not been the case for many years. For the love of all that's holy Brunel, keep the same XV next weekend even if that means keeping Basteraud).

Scotland tried to play the same game as they do with Russel but with Horne at 10. He is a decent player but no Russel so it never really got going, Hastings is more a Russel type player which their attack looked a lot more threatening with him on the field.

Fun game, Scotland were missing a lot and it showed. Very little depth.

France played some brilliant rugby though. The young Toulouse halfbacks, Dupont and N'Tamack, and Ramos were great to watch. Penaud and some of the forwards were very good as well. There's a great team there if they can get it together but there was a lot of poor play as well. Terrible discipline in the first half especially. They were good value for the bonus point though.

Thought the service was extremely slow by the Scottish halfbacks.
Moriarty is going to be licking his lips if the ball spends as much time in the 10's hands as it did today.
Are Scotland suffering from an injury crisis? I know Hogg isn't fit, but what about the Grays, Jones etc?

Oh, and N'Tamak needs to watch the Nigel Owens 'this is not soccer' clip. He's embarrassing from what I've seen of him. Amazed his old man lets him get away with it.

Thought the service was extremely slow by the Scottish halfbacks.
Moriarty is going to be licking his lips if the ball spends as much time in the 10's hands as it did today.
Are Scotland suffering from an injury crisis? I know Hogg isn't fit, but what about the Grays, Jones etc?

Oh, and N'Tamak needs to watch the Nigel Owens 'this is not soccer' clip. He's embarrassing from what I've seen of him. Amazed his old man lets him get away with it.

Huw, Finn, Hogg are the main starters who are injured. Ritchie Gray and Dunbar likely starters who are recovering from injury. Quite a few backup centres out injured too. Not a full blown injury crisis, just a lack of depth in key places. Any other squad bar Italy would be able to maintain a reasonable standard with the same amount of injuries in my opinion.

The positives is the game time for Bradbury, Ritchie, Kinghorn and D'Arcy Graham. All young, home talent that I think will make the international standard. Just a little young at the moment.

Brunel can take little credit for the win. It was all to do with the individual talent of the Toulouse players Dupont, N'Tamack and Ramos amongst others.

They didn't win thanks to his coaching or his game plan - there is none.

His staff are trying to take all the credit. This cracks me up considering their backs coach JB Elissalde was sacked from Toulouse 2 years ago. We know he can't coach. That's why Toulouse let him go (to the union)...

This is all coming to an end for Jacques and his staff next September.

Last edited:
Very frustrating game to watch. Reinforced my belief that Horne is not a 10 and Hastings should have started. Some of the Laidlaw criticism is unfair, most of the slow ball is more due to the opposition rather than him waiting, although he is guilty of that too. I think it's one of the areas where the lack of size in the back row is really shown up.

Enjoyed the French performance. Still not at a level where I think they'd challenge Wales, Ireland or England but still a step up from when the commentators were reduced to being in awe of the size of Scott Spedding. I reckon Ireland will shut them down comfortably but hopefully this win will buy the younger players some time.

The Scottish back row is lacking physicality and battle hardened warriors which the other home nations seem to have. Hope Townsend can find a balanced back row from three of from Barclay, Blade Thomson, Ritchie, Bradbury and Hamish Watson in time for the WC. Ryan Wilson and Josh Strauss are bench options at best. I think we need Sam Skinner at lock. J Gray doesn't seem to be the same monstrous player as he was 2-3 years ago for some reason but will hopefully recapture that form soon. R Gray coming back will also add some depth to the second row.

Agree with Bruce about the lack of depth with most players coming in not international class. Can't wait for Schoeman and Duhan van der Merwe to become Jocks. They will add some real quality to the squad.

Will Townsend be prepared to drop Laidlaw and start Price for the Wales game. While a great goal kicker and solid at game management he is hindering the fast attacking game Townsend craves. On the back of two defeats there is a strong case to start Price. Hopefully Russell and Hogg are back as we need them badly.

Huw, Finn, Hogg are the main starters who are injured. Ritchie Gray and Dunbar likely starters who are recovering from injury. Quite a few backup centres out injured too. Not a full blown injury crisis, just a lack of depth in key places. Any other squad bar Italy would be able to maintain a reasonable standard with the same amount of injuries in my opinion.

The positives is the game time for Bradbury, Ritchie, Kinghorn and D'Arcy Graham. All young, home talent that I think will make the international standard. Just a little young at the moment.
Downplaying it a bit aren't you? Watson, Wilson, Barclay, Skinner amongst the others out.

Downplaying it a bit aren't you? Watson, Wilson, Barclay, Skinner amongst the others out.

Not intentionally - just a hazy memory! Watson is a definite loss. As for the others I'm not so sure the next man up is all that much worse (although the lack of an established 8 might be an issue). I suppose if it was 3-5 of another 6N side it would probably also be called a a bit of an issue.

Add in Duncan Taylor and Nel and I'd say we're missing more than half our first team, across all areas of the pitch. We saw Ireland struggle without their top 3 centres yesterday, I'd argue we're down to 5th or 6th choice (at best) in that area. Likewise our back row.

Lots of good news on the injury front for Scotland: 8 players back, and the pack in general is looking much healthier all over. Richie + Watson as flankers is a nice pairing, and Nel and Skinner are great inclusions.

I'd say you're still a bit underpowered at centre, but you've given yourself a fighting chance to land those punches Ali Price was talking about.

In the squad: Watson, Nel, Skinner, Steward, McDowell, Fagerson, McGuigan and Reid. I guess Russell is back as well, given that he played at the weekend?

Latest posts