• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Rugby Championship] Round 3: Australia vs. New Zealand (10/08/2019)

One of the great things about our game...I thought read was average, almost missing and smith keep the ball fast and as good as every

Sorry but Read had his best game in a long time and I think many sources and stats agree, he was everywhere. carried and defended well. Created a try from a restart.
Smith was fine but he didn't do anything really and I beg you to watch him. he never just passes the ball he always picks it up and takes a step or two then winds up and throws a pass. Now go watch Brad Weber in the last few minutes against Argentina. He dived into every ruck and passed straight off the ground. Its 3-6 seconds on every play. That is the key to beating rush defenses, having the ball in the first receivers hands when the defense is still on their heals. Plus smith isn't really providing any threat with the ball in hand other than backing up the ball carrier. We need faster ball and smith isn't providing it. Look at the influence Nick white had on the game, completely outplayed Smith.

Quite familiar with brad Weber, use to watch him down kettle park for Dunedin but thanks for recommendation...

Smith was having to step clear of the ruck because we were doing a rubbish job clearing out, think the loosies were more interesting in gettig the ball and creating tries rather than the clear out and hit up, just the feeling I got, felt like 15 guys trying to be the guys that won it rather than some basic teamwork

Two months ago smith was firing it off the back of the highlander ruck no problem, the difference was there were five or six guys who only think their job is to clear people
Our the scrum...this abs team...how many times did it go wide to find Coles or savea? That's awesome when we're winning and it's opening up but when under the pump all I could think was that was two guys not in or around the ruck

Read had a better game than he has in a while but I thinks he's running at a 6 or 7 out of 10 when two or three years ago he was 9/10, getting up and picking off those restarts was a go too move for a while, but that's the first time I can remeber him actually getting to it let along competing in a long time

Don't know what to tell ya sorry, just think I looks for different things, to each their own

Quite familiar with brad Weber, use to watch him down kettle park for Dunedin but thanks for recommendation...

Smith was having to step clear of the ruck because we were doing a rubbish job clearing out, think the loosies were more interesting in gettig the ball and creating tries rather than the clear out and hit up, just the feeling I got, felt like 15 guys trying to be the guys that won it rather than some basic teamwork

Two months ago smith was firing it off the back of the highlander ruck no problem, the difference was there were five or six guys who only think their job is to clear people
Our the scrum...this abs team...how many times did it go wide to find Coles or savea? That's awesome when we're winning and it's opening up but when under the pump all I could think was that was two guys not in or around the ruck

Read had a better game than he has in a while but I thinks he's running at a 6 or 7 out of 10 when two or three years ago he was 9/10, getting up and picking off those restarts was a go too move for a while, but that's the first time I can remeber him actually getting to it let along competing in a long time

Don't know what to tell ya sorry, just think I looks for different things, to each their own
I noticed read in rucks, Savea not nearly as much as he normally would be. Savea was similar against Argentina. I think who was or wasn't in rucks was partly a role thing, with a trio who haven't worked together before, and some unorthodox roles.

I noticed read in rucks, Savea not nearly as much as he normally would be. Savea was similar against Argentina. I think who was or wasn't in rucks was partly a role thing, with a trio who haven't worked together before, and some unorthodox roles.
That I agree with! Every week is a different combo!

oooohhhhhhh ABs have lost their aura. cool world rugby can relax now. nothing to see here.

agree with UmagasWitness and Larksea, read had an awesome game. read was doing the dark arts that savea and cane werent. if they're going to persist with this trio then they need to realise that the darkarts still need to be done and that all 3 of them are to worry about securing and clearing rucks first and foremost. the dynamic opportunities will come but you have to do the dirty work first.
barrett deserved his red card. that was just plain stupid. he couldve pulled out of that cheap shot at any time. what was worse is he missed and didnt even straighten hoopers crossed eyes.

Last edited:
ABs played badly. true we only had 14 players on but WBs were already in control and with one down WBs absolutely out smarted the ABs. how did ABs leave so many holes around the fringes?
koroibete was massive and for a leagee is learning this game at light speed compared to past leagees. MOTM
JOC played well. Lealiifano is awesome, never shouldve let him have that season in NZ. the guys magic and calm under fire

Rugby's carding system is sheer idiocy. A bastardized version of soccer's idiotic policies. Allows for nothing more than an egregious level of referee control and potential for match fixing. Without fail, it ruins a couple of excellent top matches a year. The impact on domestic rugby, especially in second and third tier countries where refereeing is often incompetent/biased is even worse.

The solution- borrow the North American sporting model of ejections without destroying the competitive balance of the game.

Barrett's hit should have been an ejection and 10 minutes short-handed for the All Blacks.

Stop f'n ruining games.

yeah and there is a problem with consistency as well, Brodie Retalick got intentionally taken out and injured by the boks. Compare that to this with no obvious intent and Hooper was completely unhurt and even had the presence of mind of let out a cry of protest to the ref as it was happening and the AB's get a red card.
Interesting to see that Eddie Jones has come out calling the Red Card "Ridiculous" I think it is for many reasons. While technically it is a red card, if it is when why are there not half a dozen or more red cards each game? Contact like that does happen a lot.

So teams with depth would be free to cheat with relative impunity vs those without as there would be no real consequences?

But yeah, of course the WBs paid the ref and spoilt the game (which wasn't boring, even for the neutral) just as France have done in previous world cups and...

The Sonny Bill and Barrett shoulder charge/sending off's have more in common than merely the same Ref. These shoulder charges are not one-on-one. In each case there is already a player making the tackle. SB and Barrett are both coming forward at pace, to make an aggressive tackle, as the modern player is trained to do. I feel that, in the split second available, SB and Barrett do not wrap with the arm because of this third person. Instead they brace with arm kept in. I feel it's more instinctive than malicious. I'd even go as far to say there is an element of self-preservation in their actions. Unfortunately for them, it looks terrible when replayed in slow motion, which makes it look like they had time to consider their actions.

The Sonny Bill and Barrett shoulder charge/sending off's have more in common than merely the same Ref. These shoulder charges are not one-on-one. In each case there is already a player making the tackle. SB and Barrett are both coming forward at pace, to make an aggressive tackle, as the modern player is trained to do. I feel that, in the split second available, SB and Barrett do not wrap with the arm because of this third person. Instead they brace with arm kept in. I feel it's more instinctive than malicious. I'd even go as far to say there is an element of self-preservation in their actions. Unfortunately for them, it looks terrible when replayed in slow motion, which makes it look like they had time to consider their actions.
There was no element of self preservation in Barretts tackle unless he felt particularly fearful for his knee caps. As you say, Hooper was falling mid tackle.

Its on the players to alter their technique to suit the rules, not the other way round.

ABs played badly. true we only had 14 players on but WBs were already in control and with one down WBs absolutely out smarted the ABs. how did ABs leave so many holes around the fringes?
koroibete was massive and for a leagee is learning this game at light speed compared to past leagees. MOTM
JOC played well. Lealiifano is awesome, never shouldve let him have that season in NZ. the guys magic and calm under fire

i agree we played badly but credit to the Aussies they either played well enough that our bad play was highlighted or at very least made clinical use of the mistakes we made, something we use to use games to win with

nah commonality here is they were both stupid and unnecessary
self preservation? i dont think so

i agree we played badly but credit to the Aussies they either played well enough that our bad play was highlighted or at very least made clinical use of the mistakes we made, something we use to use games to win with
agree out smarted. WBs made ABs seem stupid and amateurish

The biggest shame of the Red card is the fact it was shaping up to be a great game. That card robbed the Wallabies of a legitimate win against the AB's. I was very happy with James O'Connor outside of Kerevi and that has to be our centre paring for the RWC, I'm not overly impressed with Lealiifano's passing ability, but at this point anyone is better for us than Foley.

It's a damn shame Higginbotham and Cooper weren't picked to fill up that bench. Luke Jones is not a good replacement flanker or number 8.

So teams with depth would be free to cheat with relative impunity vs those without as there would be no real consequences?

But yeah, of course the WBs paid the ref and spoilt the game (which wasn't boring, even for the neutral) just as France have done in previous world cups and...

Nah bro. We're talking about infractions that have a mitigating factor, ie, double team tackle, tackled player ducking or falling, etc.

That type of hit needs to be an ejection with10 minutes shorthanded.

A more severe, unmitigated offence could be an ejection and 20 or 30 minutes short handed.

Making a team play shorthanded for a half or more because of one foul play is ridiculous. Defending the status quo is laughable to me. The difference between a yellow and red card can be 70 minutes or more ffs.

If teams are blatantly playing foul because of "no real consequences" then suspensions would be in order, obviously.

...easier than changing the rules...don't run at people with your elbow ticked into your side...

The biggest shame of the Red card is the fact it was shaping up to be a great game. That card robbed the Wallabies of a legitimate win against the AB's. I was very happy with James O'Connor outside of Kerevi and that has to be our centre paring for the RWC, I'm not overly impressed with Lealiifano's passing ability, but at this point anyone is better for us than Foley.

It's a damn shame Higginbotham and Cooper weren't picked to fill up that bench. Luke Jones is not a good replacement flanker or number 8.
Jones will be shifted out for Pocock soon.

Higginbotham and Cooper? No thanks.

Nah bro. We're talking about infractions that have a mitigating factor, ie, double team tackle, tackled player ducking or falling, etc.

That type of hit needs to be an ejection with10 minutes shorthanded.

A more severe, unmitigated offence could be an ejection and 20 or 30 minutes short handed.

Making a team play shorthanded for a half or more because of one foul play is ridiculous. Defending the status quo is laughable to me. The difference between a yellow and red card can be 70 minutes or more ffs.

If teams are blatantly playing foul because of "no real consequences" then suspensions would be in order, obviously.
I think you really fail to grasp the magnititude of the problem CTE is presenting all contact sports. Its an existential problem.

There will be no reduction in the severity of punishments for head contact. Ever.

Latest posts