• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 5: Ireland vs England (18/03/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess if you play like absolute **** for long enough, eventually you are going to lose a game!

Like munstermuffin said before the game quoting Antony Foley, you're never as good as they say you are, and you're never as bad either

Who decides on the scheduling. We always seem to be In the position of playing a really strong team away in the final round. Why can't we just play Italy at home last up! Ha.

England did not play well. However I'm still confused by some of those decisions...

Well done Ireland. `Now that's enough northern hemisphere rugby for me for until the lions tour begins. Today was a free game and an opportunity to celebrate what rugby can be but what it came to be about was some English ***** banging on about the unbeaten record and the Irish banging on about how much they want to beat England. None of this is going to help us beat New Zealand which is the only fun thing to look forward to on the calendar.

Congratulations to Ireland. Can't understand just how England got out-muscled by a team that lost to Scotland, but that's life.
Mike

Great to get the win. England are an excellent young team and are for my money, favourites for the 2019 World Cup.

Lots to work on. The pack stood up but only 2 tries in the last 3 games needs to be rectified. Hopefully we'll see a loosening up of the gameplan from now on, starting with the summer tour.

Delighted for Andrew Conway in winning his first cap as he's improved out of sight this season. Thought the scrum halves were very good although Kieran Marmion perhaps took a bit too long at times to shift the ball on.

Who decides on the scheduling. We always seem to be In the position of playing a really strong team away in the final round. Why can't we just play Italy at home last up! Ha.
I'm 99% sure the scheduling is designed to make the last game a hopefull grand slam decider. Which is why we are always stuck as most years we are a legitimate contender.

Great to get the win. England are an excellent young team and are for my money, favourites for the 2019 World Cup.

Lots to work on. The pack stood up but only 2 tries in the last 3 games needs to be rectified. Hopefully we'll see a loosening up of the gameplan from now on, starting with the summer tour.

Delighted for Andrew Conway in winning his first cap as he's improved out of sight this season. Thought the scrum halves were very good although Kieran Marmion perhaps took a bit too long at times to shift the ball on.

On tries issue. Huge kudos to Andy Farrell. Our defence looked superb today. Conway deserved cap and stood up well. McGrath too stepped up in last 10.

The lineout difference was vital. And no disrespect to Heaslip but I think todays backrow is way forward with guys like Conan Leavy and O'Donoghue let fight in.
John Ryan now looks up to level as 18. We genuinely have 2 international standard frontrows.

Hopefully the gameplan evolves too as you say. We ran alot more of ball too

England didnt play well, blah blah blah. IRELAND absolutely deserved that, great game well done Ireland and ending the myth that english are unbeatable, they struggled against France and us they got the last minute score , much like the football team english fans get carried away when they win a few. No one off game needed against the ABs. They are levels above the english im only just saying this because its been mentioned , congrats to England winning the 6 nations .

If Ireland are holding the ball carrier up in the contact- ref calls maul - then Ireland collapse the maul - that is a penalty.

I appreciate this aspect is not "lazy play" BUT ...... The fact that the ball becomes available immediately after the collapse ensuring a perceived "flow" in play fits the MO of letting things slide at certain times in the game.

I may have misunderstood - perhaps clear this up.

so olly was saying that mauls are only properly officiated at lineouts... that refs actually call collapsing and coming in from the side

in open play they tend to not penalize for collapsing but still call it a maul and reward the defensive team with the scrum anyway

interesting that you think that it keeps the flow going if the ball is available and would make a good referee pint argument... which is pretty much what we do instead of the actual referee education

my opinion is that if the attacking team wants to maul and the defensive team collapses it is material everytime

the materiality due to time is more for things like not rolling away, being a step offside, and holding onto tackled player/ball

Alpha might be jealous I thought that was your two special thing.

Let's face it England lost that game rather than Ireland winning it.

I've argued with people with short sighted views. I've been accused of being blinkered. But how the fcuck do you expect your view to be taken seriously if you obviously watch games with your eyes shut with your hand in your pants?

I'm 99% sure the scheduling is designed to make the last game a hopefull grand slam decider. Which is why we are always stuck as most years we are a legitimate contender.

LOL - Did you ask that question in the big hype build up to this match?

We have looked stale in many games this 6N despite winning it. 18 games unbeaten is a very long run. Hopefully some changes to a few players and ideas. Still happy with the last 18 months and the change in attitude under Eddie. Joe Schmidt keeps his job for another season...

No shock horror. 100% deserved it.
Justified all calls that he was needed.
Lineout improved.
Balance at breakdown improved.
Payne showed he is the 15.
McGrath and Marmion justified they need more minutes.
John Ryan and Scannell too.

And we ran more and it suited us. Hope Schmidt see's the obvious and now builds on it.

Funny I knew you'd miss what I was saying when I was typing that. :D

I wasn't saying PO'M wasn't deserving, just not a surprise that Lenihan would choose him given how he usually makes his choices.

England didnt play well, blah blah blah. IRELAND absolutely deserved that, great game well done Ireland and ending the myth that english are unbeatable, they struggled against France and us they got the last minute score , much like the football team english fans get carried away when they win a few. No one off game needed against the ABs. They are levels above the english im only just saying this because its been mentioned , congrats to England winning the 6 nations .

How did Wales get on against France?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts