• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Jaguares vs. Sharks (Round 12) 14/05/2016

the total lack of a league like the Currie Cup and ITM Cup doesn't provide a good basis for Argentine referees to be measured at a required level.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_Argentino

That would be the closest equivalent we have to the Currie cup. Level is not quite the same thou.

I think the UAR missed a big opportunity by not keeping the Pampas XV in the Currie Cup system and also get one or 2 refs to join the Pampas team in SA. And with saying that, I don't know what originally happened in the deal not being renewed.
I am not sure UAR can afford that right now.

Has anyone actually put their hand up and said that the season has been an unmitigated disaster or is it just a load of general cliches?
IMO, load of general cliches.
Just to give you an idea of the bias, our second largest newspaper had two pieces talking about how it was still possible for the jaguares to qualify for the play-offs. I am not talking March, but last week. I kid you not. Anyone with two functional brain cells pretty knew we were out after the stormers game.
They feed in unrealistic expectations and are incredibly lenient with their performances. Most of the pundits in tv shows are kinda friendish with Jaguares'/UAR's management and won't be overly critical either.
Not saying this explains the result in any way but it does shape, to a point, public opinion. I'd say a considerable amount of followers genuinely believe the ref cost us the game.

It's as if we believe being critical and being supportive were mutually exclusive. I hate that to be honest. I'm harsh with them precisely because i support them. I want them to improve.
In that sense, i really like the Irish approach. They are generally incredibly critical of their performances and no one will even fathom considering a criticism as a lack of allegiance to their team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_Argentino

That would be the closest equivalent we have to the Currie cup. Level is not quite the same thou.

I am not sure UAR can afford that right now.

IMO, load of general cliches.
Just to give you an idea of the bias, our second largest newspaper had two pieces talking about how it was still possible for the jaguares to qualify for the play-offs. I am not talking March, but last week. I kid you not. Anyone with two functional brain cells pretty knew we were out after the stormers game.
They feed in unrealistic expectations and are incredibly lenient with their performances. Most of the pundits in tv shows are kinda friendish with Jaguares'/UAR's management and won't be overly critical either.
Not saying this explains the result in any way but it does shape, to a point, public opinion. I'd say a considerable amount of followers genuinely believe the ref cost us the game.

It's as if we believe being critical and being supportive were mutually exclusive. I hate that to be honest. I'm harsh with them precisely because i support them. I want them to improve.
In that sense, i really like the Irish approach. They are generally incredibly critical of their performances and no one will even fathom considering a criticism as a lack of allegiance to their team.

It's true, I'm the same because I'm European, the Jags are my team in Super Rugby and I want them to do better. If I was a Sunwolves fan I'd feel differently because expectations and talent levels are nowhere near as high. Losing games is inevitable and completely acceptable. Losing games in the way the Jags do pretty much every time in the same general pattern (fast start, middle struggle, end implosion) is unforgivable (in a sporting context).

Creevey has been banned for the Lions match, Senatore is appealing his citing for biting:
http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super-rugby/72981-creevy-slapped-with-one-week-ban

Weird that Senatore is appealing and Creevey is not, generally I would think it should be the other way around. There was no intent in that tackle and it was really an accident. I think biting is a more difficult one to get out of.

Either way that is a huge loss for the match. Creevey has been the calming head and has been trying his best to keep his players in check discipline wise and away from the refs.

Last edited:
Creevey has been banned for the Lions match, Senatore is appealing his citing for biting:
http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super-rugby/72981-creevy-slapped-with-one-week-ban

Weird that Senatore is appealing and Creevey is not, generally I would think it should be the other way around. There was no intent in that tackle and it was really an accident. I think biting is a more difficult one to get out of.

Either way that is a huge loss for the match. Creevey has been the calming head and has been trying his best to keep his players in check discipline wise and away from the refs.

I think Creevy's tackle would be a difficult one to et out of as the evidence is right there from multiple angles. I agree there was no intent to harm on Creevy's part but the fact remains he had Deysel around the neck and the onus is on the tackler to release or pull out or bring safely to ground or whatever is required given the situation when there is a dangerous tackle/challenge situation.

I suspect they are chalengin the bite because its either impossible to prove or there is nothing in it in the first place which would not surprise me.

There were a few hands on opponent's faces during this match from both teams. Not that I think there's much in it or intent to go for the eyes from anyone. I just thought that if the citing commisioner is going over the footage with a fine comb there is more to cite than those two instances.

Last edited:

With regards to the alleged biting incident, the first question I would ask is...

jaguares-back-rower-cited-for-biting.png.hashed.f9f9c061.desktop.story.inline.jpg

...why does the allegedly bitten player illegally have Senatore in a headlock on the ground?

So a guy does a headlock for no reason, possible choke you and he´s charged biting 10 weeks. Right....

I remember reading something like the citing gives you a bigger ban if you try to appeal. Maybe that's the reason...

Or maybe it's more proof that SANZAR is biased against Argentina cuz they never wanted us to join them in the first place and only accepted it because of pressure from World Rugby.

Or maybe it's more proof that SANZAR is biased against Argentina cuz they never wanted us to join them in the first place and only accepted it because of pressure from World Rugby.

Where are these conspiracy theories coming from?! We want Argentina in our tournaments and we are happy to have you. No one is out to get you.

I remember reading something like the citing gives you a bigger ban if you try to appeal. Maybe that's the reason...

Rubbish. Argentina have been welcomed with open arms. Their admittance to the RC and SR were happy days for everyone in the rugby world.

I can't believe i'm the one who has to point this out but

1) being head-locked is not a valid excuse to bite someone on a rugby pitch. Two wrongs do not make a right. The right question is why didn't the sharks player get cited and not why our player got punished.
2) Wasn't Senatore the one who (allegedly) bit Etzebeth on the RC?

Anyway guys the dust has settled on another loss. What can the Jaguars expect from the rest of the season? Will the coach be there next year? I can't see many wins coming in the remaining games and possibly none at all. The coach will remain.

Anyway guys the dust has settled on another loss. What can the Jaguars expect from the rest of the season? Will the coach be there next year? I can't see many wins coming in the remaining games and possibly none at all. The coach will remain.

Depending on the roster selected for each match, I expect a win over the Kings and also a chance over the Bulls at home.
Regarding the coaching staff, I think that they will remain there. Maybe adding someone else?

I can't believe i'm the one who has to point this out but

1) being head-locked is not a valid excuse to bite someone on a rugby pitch. Two wrongs do not make a right. The right question is why didn't the sharks player get cited and not why our player got punished.
2) Wasn't Senatore the one who (allegedly) bit Etzebeth on the RC?

Not valid excuse agreed but 10 matches is too tough if you feel grasping for air because of the lock i can guarantee that automatic defense behavior kicks in. In any case, you lock i bite, both out or no one.

I think we can beat the kings again.

I dont like using the ref as an excuse, moreover when Jaguares committed many mistakes that cost us the game, like losing that very last scrum. But its undeniable that the ref cost us at least 16 points.
On this video there are images and comments on each play, so no further comment is needed:
http://www.espn.com.ar/video/clip/_/id/2677269

Even If the second try of Jaguares had not been awarded, with those 16 points it would have been enough to win.

I Agree with Cruz that espn journalysts (some are former pumas) have a close relstionship with some jaguares players to be critical enough, however in this case the proofs are too obvius to overseen them.

What I mean is that in most of the 50-50 calls, refs go against us probably because we are the new boys, our federation is the weakest and least influential, and probably the poorest of Sanzaar.

This is not too different from what many SA and OZ fans say about NZ.

Dont get me wrong, i think that noone here denies how much Jaguares need to improve, and that our current management probably wont have the answer to our problems. Refs are not to blame If we easily lose the ball in contact or If we dont have a reliable kicker apart from Nico Sánchez. But I have the feeling that we need to defend one or two steps behind the offside line to avoid penalties, and that we have 2 or 3 seconds less than the rest, which is an advantage we cannot afford to give. I could be wrong, and may be I just cannot take so many frustations, game After game, but I cant help feeling like that.

Wow, this Senatore biting incident and the stuff they did in that first game vs cheetahs is disgraceful... may as well call them the 'thuguares'.

Not valid excuse agreed but 10 matches is too tough if you feel grasping for air because of the lock i can guarantee that automatic defense behavior kicks in. In any case, you lock i bite, both out or no one.

I think we can beat the kings again.

I think from reading the comments of the commissioner it was 12 weeks (low end scale), then had two weeks added for this being his second biting incident and then 4 weeks removed because of mitigating factors. +-8 weeks is generally the standard for biting (SH seems to be harsher on it then NH), which is what he would have received if it weren't for that previous incident.

I dont like using the ref as an excuse, moreover when Jaguares committed many mistakes that cost us the game, like losing that very last scrum. But its undeniable that the ref cost us at least 16 points.
On this video there are images and comments on each play, so no further comment is needed:
http://www.espn.com.ar/video/clip/_/id/2677269

Even If the second try of Jaguares had not been awarded, with those 16 points it would have been enough to win.

I Agree with Cruz that espn journalysts (some are former pumas) have a close relstionship with some jaguares players to be critical enough, however in this case the proofs are too obvius to overseen them.

What I mean is that in most of the 50-50 calls, refs go against us probably because we are the new boys, our federation is the weakest and least influential, and probably the poorest of Sanzaar.

This is not too different from what many SA and OZ fans say about NZ.

Dont get me wrong, i think that noone here denies how much Jaguares need to improve, and that our current management probably wont have the answer to our problems. Refs are not to blame If we easily lose the ball in contact or If we dont have a reliable kicker apart from Nico Sánchez. But I have the feeling that we need to defend one or two steps behind the offside line to avoid penalties, and that we have 2 or 3 seconds less than the rest, which is an advantage we cannot afford to give. I could be wrong, and may be I just cannot take so many frustations, game After game, but I cant help feeling like that.
1) According to the video you posted, it were 9-12 points, not 16. That's biased :)
2) The biggest proof of bias in the video is that Albanese fine combs all the decisions against us but none of the ones against the sharks. In order to claim bias (as opposed to bad refereeing) you need to see both sides of the coin. Otherwise it'd be biased by definition. Just out of the top of my head:
- Second try
- It took us 3 off sides till the referee spoke to creevy and told him he needed to stop that. They never gave the sharks such a warning and it cost the sharks a yellow card.

3) in the first play of the video, it is clearly a mistake from the ref, but one that, given his position on the field, it is easy to understand. This is my point, mistakes aren't necessarily a sign of bias.

4) I am 100% sure that if a south african crew fine combed the video and cherry picked, they could make the exact opposite argument.

I love the sport and support jaguares, but i am also a huge fan of serious and objective analysis of the game. First by chance and later by choice i stopped watching ESPN. What is out there is far from perfect, but it is light years ahead of what we have. ESPN commentators aren't analysts, they are fans. It'd be like judging the Argentina's performance over the last 12 years just by watching 678.

A good exercise to judge bias is the following: disregard what sharks' and jaguares' fans are saying and pay close attention to what the rest of the people are saying. I do not see those people screaming bias. In fact, after post 49 two stormers' fans correctly pointed out a mistake (Stormers would have benefited form a shark's defeat).
The only ones claiming bias on this thread are jaguares fans. When i see all the people from one team claiming bias from the ref, either the evidence is overwhelming or they are being biased themselves. I do not see overwhelming evidence on this case.

I must admit thou, i sometimes tend to overcompensate towards the other team in order to correct for my own (and sometimes unconscious) bias. I will give you that.

and may be I just cannot take so many frustations, game After game, but I cant help feeling like that.
This i can empathize with.

And one more time, i agree with you that the ref was bad, but he was bad against both sides.
The first element to solving a problem (other than acknowledging there is a problem) is a good diagnosis. A bad referee and a biased referee are not quite the same thing.
Again, the ref was pretty bad (the longest advantage for a knock on i've seen in a long time), but people biased against you don't give away free tries.

One last thing. Some people will claim "he is south african and therefore he will help the south african team". It was in the stormers, the lions and the bulls best interest for the sharks to lose.

1)
2) The biggest proof of bias in the video is that Albanese fine combs all the decisions against us but none of the ones against the sharks.

If you are interested in some Sharks fans view of the match and the ref, take a look at the comments on this article:
http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super-rugby/72965-lambie-edges-sharks-past-jaguares
The general consensus there was that the ref was useless. (Try and avoid posting there though, discussion threads there can get a bit petty at times).

Latest posts