• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Scotland vs. England (06/02/2016)

Bath's table position could suggest how our Bath players had very little influence at all and visa versa.
Ford has had no physical confidence what so ever. Big shame as it has an effect on his game as a whole! Poor tactical kicking and certainly not the game maker he was last 6 Nations.
Watson was okay. Posed moderate threat in attack. But gave away an in from the side penalty and found himself out of position a couple of times in defence.
JJ was a similar story to Watson but seemed our better player out the three. With Daly at his shoulder, he needs to step up a little IMO to ensure his jersey.

Did he? What was his job, be anonymous?

Help create a solid set piece, which was missing in the world cup. 10/11 Scrums, 14/15 Lineouts. Job done.

In near 80 minutes, he made 1 pass, 1 carry, zero metres, 6 tackles, missed 2. All three guys you mentioned outperformed him in the loose.

Again, the set piece was solid, which Jones has set as a priority. Are you honestly saying Ford had a better game? As for the rest, Marler did nothing special either and was under pressure in the scrum, neither was Launchbury who was unusually quiet. Cole conceded three penalties (again).

I'd far rather that than Tom Youngs make 15 tackles but turn the scrum and lineout to ****. Picking our entire pack on loose work rate, and conditioning them for it, massively backfired at the World Cup.

He's not an ideal candidate as he shouldn't be in the team.

I didn't say he was, but rather that there were no others in the team. Instead of picking the form player, Jones went for experience ahead of it. After Lancaster picking four different centre combinations each game of the world cup, and changing his halfbacks every five games, I'm willing to give Jones the chance to attempt a more gradual change. And instead of sticking with the incumbent or latest fashion, he's picked someone against conventional wisdom. Lancaster wouldn't do that. And I don't think Jones would do it without a reason.

Edit: And you're defending Farrell because he nearly got away with unnecessary foul play? Good grief.

Neil Back won a Heineken Cup with one of the most brazen acts of cheating in professional union. Still worked. And Leicester is still engraved on the trophy. The whiter than white ******** looks good when talking to the P.R. department and at a mini rugby club, but it's unlikely to get results. Had it not been for a touch judge intervention he would have won possession five yards out with Scotland on a final warning for maul infringements. Worth the risk in my book.

As for foul play, pushing a player over into touch was hardly the worst thing on show today. Not to mention what inevitably goes on at the bottom of rucks. You're not going to mention the importance of team culture next are you?

I know you've never liked Hartley, but it's petty to pick him out ahead of four or five other players. He was solid and uninspiring, just like the rest of the team. We could be fashionable and throw George in, but what happens when he loses form? We move on to LCD/Taylor/Yeandle? And end up at the next world cup with a disjointed team with 10-20 caps each in key positions. That ended well last time we tried it.

Nah mate grow up and play Yu Gi Oh like the rest of us.

WTF did I just read!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Bro I'm sorry but I just threw up in my mouth.

God and to think I respected you I looked up to you as a member of this forum.

Everyone knows
1) Pokemon (first 151 not the rest)
2) Digimon
3) Yu Gi Oh

Help create a solid set piece, which was missing in the world cup. 10/11 Scrums, 14/15 Lineouts. Job done.

Again, the set piece was solid, which Jones has set as a priority. Are you honestly saying Ford had a better game? As for the rest, Marler did nothing special either and was under pressure in the scrum, neither was Launchbury who was unusually quiet. Cole conceded three penalties (again).

I'd far rather that than Tom Youngs make 15 tackles but turn the scrum and lineout to ****. Picking our entire pack on loose work rate, and conditioning them for it, massively backfired at the World Cup.

You're happy with Hartley because he helped provide a solid set piece despite not doing much in the loose, but aren't happy with three of the other starting tight five, who were part of the same set piece but did more in the loose? That's pretty inconsistent. If Marler was under sufficient pressure in the scrum to consider dropping him, how was the set piece solid? If the props each coughed up a penalty at scrum time, how was the set piece solid?

Either the set piece alone is a pass mark, and none of them should be considered droppable; or the set-piece wasn't good enough for some, so the set-piece wasn't good enough for all (with differing levels of responsibility); or the set-piece was good enough but work outside is considered, at which point Hartley did least of all and it can't be considered job done.

Neil Back won a Heineken Cup with one of the most brazen acts of cheating in professional union. Still worked. And Leicester is still engraved on the trophy. The whiter than white ******** looks good when talking to the P.R. department and at a mini rugby club, but it's unlikely to get results. Had it not been for a touch judge intervention he would have won possession five yards out with Scotland on a final warning for maul infringements. Worth the risk in my book.

As for foul play, pushing a player over into touch was hardly the worst thing on show today. Not to mention what inevitably goes on at the bottom of rucks. You're not going to mention the importance of team culture next are you?

But he got caught. Don't get caught. You don't defend someone on the basis of "They nearly didn't get caught". That's the worst defence ever.

I don't care how much we cheat to win trophies. But you have to not get caught for that. A really obvious push in the back to turn a risky 5m lineout throw for them into get out of jail free? Dumb. That it was caught by the lino, not the ref? Not. A. Defence.

Nothing to do with culture. Nothing to do with PR. Everything to do with results. The result was a Scottish penalty.

I know you've never liked Hartley, but it's petty to pick him out ahead of four or five other players. He was solid and uninspiring, just like the rest of the team. We could be fashionable and throw George in, but what happens when he loses form? We move on to LCD/Taylor/Yeandle? And end up at the next world cup with a disjointed team with 10-20 caps each in key positions. That ended well last time we tried it.

You were the one to mention him ahead of those players, not me and uhm, not changing to a better player because they might lose form is one of the worst arguments I've seen in a long time.

One thing to remember about being caught, being penalized or any other misdemeanor is that the ref was Lacey and he is ****e!!!

You're happy with Hartley because he helped provide a solid set piece despite not doing much in the loose, but aren't happy with three of the other starting tight five, who were part of the same set piece but did more in the loose? That's pretty inconsistent. If Marler was under sufficient pressure in the scrum to consider dropping him, how was the set piece solid? If the props each coughed up a penalty at scrum time, how was the set piece solid?

Either the set piece alone is a pass mark, and none of them should be considered droppable; or the set-piece wasn't good enough for some, so the set-piece wasn't good enough for all (with differing levels of responsibility); or the set-piece was good enough but work outside is considered, at which point Hartley did least of all and it can't be considered job done.

I said concerned, not unhappy. They all fall into the solid, but uninspiring bracket. I didn't say I'd drop anyone, which would be inconsistent when my argument is in favour of stability in the short to medium-term. Cole's penalties were two loose, one scrum: not rolling away and taking out Richie Gray at the side of a ruck. (Something which doesn't seem to inspire the same outrage as pushing someone into touch.)

I also didn't say I was happy with Hartley, only that he did his job. Something that is much more important for a hooker in the lineout than it is a prop.

But he got caught. Don't get caught. You don't defend someone on the basis of "They nearly didn't get caught". That's the worst defence ever.

I don't care how much we cheat to win trophies. But you have to not get caught for that. A really obvious push in the back to turn a risky 5m lineout throw for them into get out of jail free? Dumb. That it was caught by the lino, not the ref? Not. A. Defence.

Nothing to do with culture. Nothing to do with PR. Everything to do with results. The result was a Scottish penalty.

I didn't. I said it was worth the risk. End result: 0 points change. Should players only cheat when they're guaranteed to get away with it? How often is that?

If it goes the other way it gets a wink from the coach and everyone moves on with their life. England get a chance at a one man advantage and a penalty try.

You were the one to mention him ahead of those players, not me

I distinctly remember taking about four pages up on another thread when you were going after Hartley post-WC to try to argue Tom Youngs' set-piece wasn't abysmal. In claiming that Hartley was sub-par SN2015 and therefore it was unfair to suggest Youngs was a detriment to England's lineout at the World Cup. Lo and behold Hartley's back, without particularly good jumpers, missing his clubmates, with only two primary jumpers, and the lineout was far better than Youngs with Parling, Wood, and Lawes to aim at -- only at the front and middle, mind you.

It's telling that when I reply to someone else defending Hartley you immediately jumped in to derride him. Definitely all down to me...

not changing to a better player because they might lose form is one of the worst arguments I've seen in a long time.

It's an argument for overall stability in selection: not picking the latest fashion immediately and dropping them as soon as the honeymoon is over. We've had years of fluctuation and it didn't work. Now the new bloke is trying an alternative approach. I'm happy to let him do it. The constant moving of halos from the latest, greatest youngster has become something of an English trait since 2003. Every time they're brought in, don't live up to wild expectation, and get dropped. This is exactly the reason Jones gave for delayed Itoje and Daly's first caps. To paraphrase: "get their debut right and they become 60 cap players, get it wrong and they're out after 10 - 20". Sound familiar?

For example, off the top of my head: Twelvetrees, Eastmond, Burrell, Burgess, Yarde, Rockoduguni, Burns, and Ford were all brought in with some excitement, played well on their debuts, lost form, and were dropped shortly afterwards. Apart from Rocko, who mysteriously disappearing after one cap.

Take Ford. At the moment he would be lucky to get on the bench for a top six club in the Premiership. Were Lancaster in charge, Farrell would be 10 and Ford would rot in camp. The new bloke is apparently trying to rebuild his confidence through play and sticking with him through bad form. So we might actually see some consistency in selection for more than a single tour/championship and a youngster get more than 20 caps to prove their worth. The old way didn't work, I'm willing to give the new way a chance.

But about five straw men arguments in and I'm out. Don't want to hijack another thread.

I am getting sick ****ing fed up of this "Scotland fought valiantly" pish and think its ridiculous so imho its time for ANOTHER coach change!!!!!!!!!

That England team were there for the taking today but, as per usual, the pish English team won and tbh Mr Cotter has to take the blame, other managers have been sacked after 1 or 2 wins in 10 so Vern should be no different!!!

A few people having a go at Ford fair enough he wasn't brilliant but he did make a wonderful tactical kick in the lead up to Nowell's try. So I don't think it was all bad.

Also anyone one note Cole played he full 80 as well as Hartley up until about 76. That's almost unheard of these days for front row players. Regardless of what you thought of them (I thought Cole was alright but not back to his destructive self of last year's 6 nations) it does look like Jones has removed the predestined substitutions.

Think main change I'd make for Italy is Mako or Marler. I'd also like to see Itoje play.

I said concerned, not unhappy. They all fall into the solid, but uninspiring bracket. I didn't say I'd drop anyone, which would be inconsistent when my argument is in favour of stability in the short to medium-term. Cole's penalties were two loose, one scrum: not rolling away and taking out Richie Gray at the side of a ruck. (Something which doesn't seem to inspire the same outrage as pushing someone into touch.)

I also didn't say I was happy with Hartley, only that he did his job. Something that is much more important for a hooker in the lineout than it is a prop.

Ok. So three tight five members sprang to mind as more concerned with than Hartley but you thought the set piece went well?

And I only mentioned the scrum penalty because I wanted to know if you thought two scrum penalties was the sign of a set piece going well. And I didn't mention Cole going into Gray as I've no real interest in defending it because despite it and the other penalty, I would still consider him more productive in the loose than Hartley and that's the point.

I didn't. I said it was worth the risk. End result: 0 points change. Should players only cheat when they're guaranteed to get away with it? How often is that?

If it goes the other way it gets a wink from the coach and everyone moves on with their life. England get a chance at a one man advantage and a penalty try.

Clearly shoving someone in the back right in front of the linesman is generally not when you're going to get away with it but fair enough, I did misread you a little there.

I distinctly remember taking about four pages up on another thread when you were going after Hartley post-WC to try to argue Tom Youngs' set-piece wasn't abysmal. In claiming that Hartley was sub-par SN2015 and therefore it was unfair to suggest Youngs was a detriment to England's lineout at the World Cup. Lo and behold Hartley's back, without particularly good jumpers, missing his clubmates, with only two primary jumpers, and the lineout was far better than Youngs with Parling, Wood, and Lawes to aim at -- only at the front and middle, mind you.

Youngs' lineout statistics are fantastic. People weren't happy with them because a large amount of it was untidy ball. To use the same measuring stick, only 80pc of Hartley's lineout came back tidily. Probably better than Youngs, but not fantastic.

There was very clearly a coaching issue with England's line out last calender year. All five hookers tried had issues and the only time we didn't have issues was with one of Lawes and Parling (preferably both). That's always been the main thing I've attacked (although I've had a brief nibble on the idea that Hartley = Guaranteed Excellence). Lo and behold, new coaches...

It's telling that when I reply to someone else defending Hartley you immediately jumped in to derride him. Definitely all down to me...

It was the comparison that attracted my attention due to the glaring inconsistency.

Fair dos if you want stability. I'd like stability too. I'd just like it to be with the best players.

Last edited:
Think main change I'd make for Italy is Mako or Marler. I'd also like to see Itoje play.

Same:
Mako for Marler,
Itoje for Lawes,
Roko for Goode,
Brookes for Hill,

George to get at least 20mins, Devoto to get some time at 12 from the bench.

It's a shame the Italy game is quite early on as Eddie won't change things up too much, wanting to get settled in.
I would've liked to see Clifford start and possibly Daly come in, but that's not going to happen.
After EJ saying he was pleased with Haskell today I have given up hope of Kvesic being used.

I don't get the same sense. Our front 5 trumps theirs and they lack a wrecking ball like Vunipola. We should dominate in the lineout. Laidlaw's the type to tip a game in your balance if the teams are roughly equal to one another, but won't produce a piece of magic to get Scotland out of a tight hole if they are up against it. Bennett and Hogg are (at least in the past, not sure about this season) the two to look out for.
Hello me, it's me. You are smart me. Yours sincerely, me.

Honestly though, it was a pretty terrible and boring game. But Billy Vunipola, what a player. Morgan and Beaumont are going to have a hard time of displacing him now.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thought Hogg had a pretty bad game and was culpable for both of our tries?

On reflection...

I liked how we changed style to be more ball up the jumper when ball in hand wasn't going too hot. At half-time, I was quite nervous. Full-time score was comfortable enough. Pretty much everything is a work on, only the maul looked above criticism, but enough went right and I thought we did well in adapting for that to happen.

We need more ball carriers desperately. There's no way we're going to have an expansive style of play if we're struggling to get plenty of front foot ball. Vunipola did a great job but he was the only one doing it. If I was to point fingers, it would be at the flankers - lots of carries, not much ground. Not much effect at the breakdown either. The tight five did more there. It's days like these that help show why I like having a sledgehammer in the backs as well. Asking Farrell and Joseph to provide that had predictable results.

Thought the half-backs were on something of a hiding to nothing as a result and with the exception of Ben Youngs' suicide pass, I don't think they did anything hugely wrong.

Finally - Courtney Lawes - he's been much traduced and can't have been a 100pc, but had a good game anyway. His maul defence is very nice. I still want Itoje to get his go, but Lawes did himself no harm in my book.

Will be intriguing to see what Jones does for Italy. I'd like to see him tinker most with getting more oomph out of the forwards. The only change I'd like him to make in the backs is Daly onto the bench, and maybe Brown rested and Yarde/Roko brought in with Watson going to full-back, because we all know what Brown offers and it's an ideal chance to experiment... but I wouldn't be surprised or bothered if he changed nothing.

Hogg is an over rated player.....is there a better alternative? I have no idea.........

I would not be happy, if I were English, if the English flankers were not changed! The breakdown is key and I, and other posters, have already said Robshaw and Haskell were too slow and ineffective as predicted!

Other than that I can see that little change will be made but, in my worthless opinion, it is the wrong option!!

I think both Hills will play against Italy especially Sam who I thought if he was fit would have started yesterday instead of Ford. Anyway think Itoje should come in for Robshaw I'd leave lawes he makes a serious impact of the bench. I'd be tempted to play Daly at fullback instead of Brown who was poor yesterday.

Thought Haskell had quite a good game but he is definitely a 6

Last edited:
But Billy Vunipola, what a player. Morgan and Beaumont are going to have a hard time of displacing him now.

It was like watching a school team. Just give it to the biggest player....

Billy was excellent, but it was a game that was always going to be right up his street. Will he be as effective in a more expansive game? Or against better opposition? Why aren't others able to make hard yards?

I'll bet Jones is already trying to work out how to accommodate Hughes and Billy in the starting XV.

I'm all for continuity, but Ford isn't worth his place at the moment. Hill to 12 and Farrell to 10 please. Will Brookes be available for next week?

And it frustrates the life out of me that scrums seem to head straight to the floor when Mako comes on as he offers so much else. But that has to be sorted before he can become a starter.

Last edited:
Well that was an interesting game. I think my point about Scotland lacking any attacking threat other then Hogg was shown to correct. For all the talk of Bennet he was pretty quiet, and yet again Scotland failed to cross the white wash even in their own back yard, but they are still looking better and I hope they can continue to improve and find that missing attacking piece.

As for England they did exactly what Jones said they would. Go out and display a dominant and in control set piece. Very solid scrum and line out and not half bad maul. Also the defence was pretty solid too.

Interesting to see Faz kicking instead of Ford, which suggests a real confidence issue for the him. I think Faz may be closing in on that 10 shirt, he certainly shouldn't be wearing 12! Not terrible but he's not big enough to punch holes and not fast enough to flat foot defences.

Back three had a great game in my opinion and if Knowel continues to play like that I think May will struggle to get the shirt back. JJ was solid in both D and attack and I think did well with what he had to work with.

All in all I think it was a good start. Lots to work on but I'm relieved the set piece looks like it's getting sorted and the D and now we can start to introduce a more expansive game as the competition goes on.

We still need an open side who can fetch the ball back. Haskell and Robshaw smashing everything in sight is all well and good but you can't win a game by tackling the opposition into submission. We need to get that pill back.

Italy looked strong against the French and will certainly not make it easy on us. ThIs is shaping up to be a thrilling 6 nations.

Interesting to see Faz kicking instead of Ford, which suggests a real confidence issue for the him.
Not sure how you came to this conclusion, Faz is the better place kicker therefore it makes sense he kicks.....same reason 1/2p does for Wales your best kicker kicks not your 10. That said Farrell still missed two.

Has this been posted yet?

B Vunipola - 2.68m per carry (19 carries, 51 metres)
J Clifford - 1.5m per carry (2 carries, 3 metres)
G Kruis - 1.4m per carry (5 carries, 7 metres)
M Vunipola - 1.3m per carry (6 carries, 8 metres)
C Lawes - 1m per carry (4 carries, 4 metres)
J Haskell - 0.57m per carry (7 carries, 4 metres)
D Cole - 0.5m per carry (2 carries, 1 metre)
C Robshaw - 0.3m per carry (6 carries, 2 metres)
J Launchbury - 0.3m per carry (3 carries, 1 metre)
D Hartley - 0m per carry (1 carry, 0 metres)
J Marler - 0m per carry (1 carry, 0 metres)

Vunipola a mile in front- heaven help us if he is injured.
Robshaw, Launch, Hartley and Marler with utterly shocking attempts to carry the ball- I will single out Robshaw because he is a loose forward who should be doing much better than this.
What would you gain with Itoje at 6? Great lineout option, brilliant secondary carrying option to Vunipola (would draw tacklers off Hask and Vunipola), puts in dominant defensive hits (when did Robshaw last do this...) can actually turn over ball and is a pest for the opposition at rucks.
We were severely lacking ball carriers apart from Billy- not just in forwards, but the backline too. Sam Hill must start if he has a decent game today- start as you mean to go on with Tuilagi eventually slotting in.

Frustrating game for Scotland . England deserved winners having scored two tries . Felt Laidlaw was too slow in getting the ball away and his kicking was not up to his best . Billy Vunipola ( born in Australia of Tongan parents ! ) was outstanding Hogg had a cracker of a game and in the " maybe " stakes was unlucky not to get the ball in space from Russell's interception .

We need more ball carriers desperately. There's no way we're going to have an expansive style of play if we're struggling to get plenty of front foot ball. Vunipola did a great job but he was the only one doing it. If I was to point fingers, it would be at the flankers - lots of carries, not much ground. Not much effect at the breakdown either. The tight five did more there. It's days like these that help show why I like having a sledgehammer in the backs as well. Asking Farrell and Joseph to provide that had predictable results.

Thought the half-backs were on something of a hiding to nothing as a result and with the exception of Ben Youngs' suicide pass, I don't think they did anything hugely wrong.

Finally - Courtney Lawes - he's been much traduced and can't have been a 100pc, but had a good game anyway. His maul defence is very nice. I still want Itoje to get his go, but Lawes did himself no harm in my book.

Will be intriguing to see what Jones does for Italy. I'd like to see him tinker most with getting more oomph out of the forwards. The only change I'd like him to make in the backs is Daly onto the bench, and maybe Brown rested and Yarde/Roko brought in with Watson going to full-back, because we all know what Brown offers and it's an ideal chance to experiment... but I wouldn't be surprised or bothered if he changed nothing.

Agree with all of that.