• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Argentina vs South Africa (15/08/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065412996251.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065418551640.png

Venue: Estadio Jose Amalfitani
Date: 15 August 2015
Time: 21:40 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Argentina: 15-Joaquin Tuculet, 14-Santiago Cordero, 13-Matias Moroni, 12-Juan Martin Hernandez, 11-Juan Imhoff, 10-Nicolas Sanchez, 9-Martin Landajo; 8-Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 7-Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe, 6-Tomas Lezana, 5-Tomas Lavanini, 4-Benjamin Macome, 3-Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, 2-Agustin Creevy (captain), 1-Marcos Ayerza

Substitutes: 16-Julian Montoya, 17-Lucas Noguera, 18-Juan Pablo Orlandi, 19-Matias Alemanno, 20-Pablo Matera, 21-Tomas Cubelli, 22-Juan Pablo Socino, 23-Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino

South Africa: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Lwazi Mvovo, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Marcel van der Merwe, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Trevor Nyakane

Substitutes: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20, Pieter-Steph du Toit, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Handre Pollard, 23 Jan Serfontein

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations to Glen Jackson who will be the referee for this match.

He will become the first person to have both played and refereed 100 first class matches.

Last edited:
I have a bad feeling about this match... I am really trying to be optimistic, but it is quite difficult.

I have never been a fan of Zane Kirchner and would of liked to see Pat Lambie at fullback and Handre Pollard at 10 (personal opinion).
Really hope the Springboks can win this match and hopefully win it by more than 10 points... We need the confidence boost.

I'm a moron. I'd honestly never realised it was THAT Glen Jackson. Whataboy.

Well I think it's a well balanced team that. I know a lot of people dislike Captain Nik-Naks (Zane Kirchner), but he has been really good for his Irish team.

I think it's a good move to play Lambie at 10. He is after all our back-up fly half.

I'm very glad to see the Bone Collector back in the team. His physicality will be a welcome addition, which was lacking last week.

I hope Zane plays on the same level for South Africa then.

Glad to see that our center combination is back.
Hopefully our scrum will do better this time.

I expect the boks to win this. Last weeks loss should have been an eye opener for all the top sides. The warning message is if you do not show up mentally the likes of Scotland France and Argentina can beat you . Zane kirschner needs a run out but he is not in the same class as Le roux who is the best attacking full back in the world. De villiers is injured but I m not sure if will make the starting line up at the World Cup .
Meyer is too excited about his new centres,

I wont go as far as saying that Le Roux is the best fullback in the world, but he is a lot better than Zane Kirchner in my opinion. The only thing I don't like about Le Roux is that he kicks the ball in to the oppositions hands to much.

I really hope that Heyneke Meyer decides to keep de Allende and Kriel as the centre combination for the world cup.

I expect the boks to win this. Last weeks loss should have been an eye opener for all the top sides. The warning message is if you do not show up mentally the likes of Scotland France and Argentina can beat you . Zane kirschner needs a run out but he is not in the same class as Le roux who is the best attacking full back in the world. De villiers is injured but I m not sure if will make the starting line up at the World Cup .
Meyer is too excited about his new centres,

Zane is more of a defensive fullback, whereas Willie is an attacking fullback. Willie's tackling has been very bad this year. In every game so far he has missed a one-on-one tackle which led to a try against the Boks.

I agree with you, Willie Le Roux has not been inform this year and I would not mind if we can replace him until he gets his form back. He is usually excellent with the ball in hand but he has a tendency to kick the ball into the oppositions hands.

I hope that Zane plays well so that we know we have a good replacement for Willie.

I'm sad to say I don't care about the make-up of the team anymore. This is just more shuffling. Whatever.

At least we have a wing on the wing and Kriel back into a position he knows. Glad to see Alberts back BUT its crazy that Etzebeth is the only 1st choice player in the pack! Down to our third loose head, 2nd hooker (maybe even lower on form) and 4rth tighthead, 3rd lock, 3rd openside and a makeshift no.8 in Burger playing there for what, his 2nd test? I also read PSdT is there to cover Alberts and not lock (FvdM). I understand Meyer's hand is somewhat forced due to injury but, sheesh!

Still using Pienaar at 9? That is the only position where he hasn't experimented and IMO the one where he should have. But what do I know. Kirchner. Actually, I'm not too miffed about his inclusion everything considered which is sad because; 39 year old Habana, Mvovo and Kirchner... it just shows where we lack world class.

I'm sad to say I don't care about the make-up of the team anymore. This is just more shuffling. Whatever.

At least we have a wing on the wing and Kriel back into a position he knows. Glad to see Alberts back BUT its crazy that Etzebeth is the only 1st choice player in the pack! Down to our third loose head, 2nd hooker (maybe even lower on form) and 4rth tighthead, 3rd lock, 3rd openside and a makeshift no.8 in Burger playing there for what, his 2nd test? I also read PSdT is there to cover Alberts and not lock (FvdM). I understand Meyer's hand is somewhat forced due to injury but, sheesh!

Still using Pienaar at 9? That is the only position where he hasn't experimented and IMO the one where he should have. But what do I know. Kirchner. Actually, I'm not too miffed about his inclusion everything considered which is sad because; 39 year old Habana, Mvovo and Kirchner... it just shows where we lack world class.

Well at least we have depth. And it's good to give them a run. PSDT has played flank for the Sharks before, so it's not such an unknown position to him.

As for Pienaar, yeah I don't know why he didn't let Reinach start this game. It's actually a pity this game is this week and not next week, because then Fourie Du Preez would've been ready to play, even if it was just for 30-odd minutes.

Oh well, lets see what the C-team does.

Well I think it's a well balanced team that. I know a lot of people dislike Captain Nik-Naks (Zane Kirchner), but he has been really good for his Irish team.

I think it's a good move to play Lambie at 10. He is after all our back-up fly half.

I'm very glad to see the Bone Collector back in the team. His physicality will be a welcome addition, which was lacking last week.

He has? I mean, I don't pay full attention to the Ladyboys, coulda passed me by, but that is slightly news to me I'm afraid. Where's a Leinster fan when you actually want one...

You calling it a C team just had me do a quick mental excersize. During this tournament our wounded/unavailable have included:

Steven Kitshoff, Frans Malherbe, Vincent Koch, J du Plessis, Oosthuizen, B du Plessis, Lood de Jager, PSdT, Matfield, FvdM, Coetzee, Louw, Vermeulen, Alberts, FdP, Pollard, JdV, F Steyn, Fourie, JPP, Hendricks, Le Roux. That is some list. Even if some of those guys are available one has to question whether they are 100% match fit- they certinly can't be in the cases of quite a number of returning from long term injury surely.

What would you guys say are your score predictions for this match?

I still have a bad feeling about this match, but I will say the Springboks will win with 5 points.

I still have a bad feeling about this match, but I will say the Springboks will win with 5 points.

Revenge is a powerful weapon. And Argentina might still be hungover for their first win against the Bokke.

I think that the Bokke might get a big win here, maybe 15+. And we have a good ref in charge too...

Faf De Klerk is the best scrum half in SA IMO. Streets ahead, he reminds me of Aaron smith.

Faf De Klerk is the best scrum half in SA IMO. Streets ahead, he reminds me of Aaron smith.

That is a matter of opinion. I personally like Faf, but there are definitely areas where he is weak. Is not a good tackler, and he doesn't have a good kicking game. His passing and running game however is outstanding.

For me, the best scrumhalf is Fourie Du Preez. And it will take a lot to change my perspective.

That is a matter of opinion. I personally like Faf, but there are definitely areas where he is weak. Is not a good tackler, and he doesn't have a good kicking game. His passing and running game however is outstanding.

For me, the best scrumhalf is Fourie Du Preez. And it will take a lot to change my perspective.

Mmm.. I don't think he's that bad of a tackler, he got boshed by Skelton and a lot of people hold onto that, the GL vs Southern Kings game is anything to go by, he only had to make about 4 kicks and they were all good, I think the only excuse not to play him is 0 caps..

Mmm.. I don't think he's that bad of a tackler, he got boshed by Skelton and a lot of people hold onto that, the GL vs Southern Kings game is anything to go by, he only had to make about 4 kicks and they were all good, I think the only excuse not to play him is 0 caps..

Against the big guys he is vulnerable on defence. He and his coach, Johan Ackermann even admitted that in the Super Rugby tournament. He is certainly knocking on the door for the Bokke, but we are looking at a more all-round player in that position. Someone who is good on all fronts. The same applies to Cobus Reinach, who I think is better than Faf, but he also has a poor kicking game (Against the Chiefs he kicked 3 box kicks in a row directly over the touchline).

Revenge is a powerful weapon. And Argentina might still be hungover for their first win against the Bokke.

I think that the Bokke might get a big win here, maybe 15+. And we have a good ref in charge too...

Critically I think Walsh is the type to suit us. I'll split the difference and say SA by 10.

FdP is a complete question mark though. That said I'll take a undercooked FdP over Pienaar though my preference (too late now though) would've been to give Reinach and De Klerk a lot of game time seeing as we are experimenting.

It's not as if Pienaar's defence and kicking game is worth ****.

Latest posts